By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Times It Worked?

Does Monolith Soft count?

Around the Network

Wasn't Monolith Soft and AlphaDream started by ex Square developers.
That worked out pretty well.

Platinum! That worked.
Black Isle staff founding Obsidian Entertainment and developing the great Pillars of Eternity as inofficial new Baldurs Gate.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I knew I forgot a few in my first post but Platinum Games was founded by a bunch of ex Capcom guys and they've generally done alright so far.

There are really quite a lot of examples but I think the difference is that a number of these newer examples are also using crowd funding to make games catering to nostalgia. Just the act of crowd funding a game changes the way people perceive and are introduced to a game, see it change from initial hype to a complex development and eventual release as something unlike the initial impression and it was likely delayed too. A lot of information is known about the developers and a bunch of high expectations set, e.g. "remember these guys made Mega Man or Banjo, but this new game doesn't stand up to their old work!"

The older studios that broke away wouldn't be publicly known about until they released something and even then many people wouldn't know that these same developers made Okami or Chrono Trigger, they'd see their games as just new games with no previous track record to match.

CaptainExplosion said:
caffeinade said:
Wasn't Monolith Soft and AlphaDream started by ex Square developers.
That worked out pretty well.

I didn't know. I only know of Alpha Dream because of the Mario & Luigi series, and Monolith Soft because of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Also it turns out Id Software was started by former members of a company called Softdisk.

It seems to work out quite often.

Around the Network

Obsidian (KotOR 2, Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: The Stick of Truth) certainly counts, being basically the whole staff from the former Black Isle studios (Fallout 1+2, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planetscape: Torment).

Ka-pi96 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

If collectathons are outdated then why do people love Super Mario Odyssey?

I'm starting to wonder if being owned by Activision is less awful than being owned by Microsoft.

Because Nintendo are the only ones capable of putting out a good new platformer these days?

Being owned by Microsoft is probably better. At least you know one day they'll shut your company down and you'll be free! With Activision you'll just be making Call of Duty for the rest of your life

They’re not the only ones.  Puppeteer, ratchet and clank, and yooka-laylee were all awesome.  Nintendo just has nostalgia so people will buy their old school platformers

I am Iron Man

Neverland Co split off from Marvelous and made a few great games including Rune Factory

..only to go backrupt and be re-absorbed by Marvelous

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I loved Timesplitters 2. So IMO Free Radical is the greatest "reformed" studio ever.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

COKTOE said:

If one person moving around meets your criteria, Amy Hennig seemed to have a nice upwards career trajectory as she left one company to go to the next. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Hennig

I loved those Kain games, but Soul Reaver 2 was a letdown.

She is not in an upwards trajectory anymore. I'm not sure she even has a job now. Thanks EA.

But i totally disagree with you. Soul Reaver 2 was amazing and one of my favorite games ever. That ending was great. Granted it would've been a much bigger experience if Soul Reaver didn't get split in 2 games. Wish we could have a remake.

Edit: Read your other post and i'm confused. In Soul Reaver you didn't die either, you would slip into the other world. The series was more about the story and characters than stellar combat. They had limited tech and budget back then. The world at least looked amazing.

Anyways, on topic, i haven-t read every post yet, so i might be repeating, but Platinum games is a good example.

Last edited by Nem - on 27 November 2017