By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Not every 1st party Switch game should be $60

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
monocle_layton said:

I'm basically saying the 3ds shouldn't receive these titles. They're doing terrible (except for Pokemon). Superstar saga DX would've done much better on the Switch. 

I get Nintendo wants to support it, but at the same time it's costing them sales

To interject here, I think you're hitting a bit of a brick wall. You see, the reality is, as great as the 3DS titles are - a lot of them are stop-gap games. They're games to satisfy the 3DS in what is effectively it's last year of life. 

A lot of these titles are remakes of older games, ports, or late western releases. The remakes are of the more niche games in their franchises, and they're not up to the standard of the Switch. I mean don't get me wrong, Samus Returns had a lot of work put into it and so did Shadows of Valentia(it's really surprising how much work was put into Valentia in fact). But they're still more rigid experiences. Hell SOV even uses the same maps as the original game, and a lot of the same outdated mechanics, just for the sake of keeping true to the original. While people like me are interested in seeing the different variations of FE gameplay, that style conflicts with what made FE so popular. It wouldn't be up to the standards of the Awakening fans waiting for the next big console iteration.  Consider also that FE already has a game out on Switch, and it's getting a mainline one as early as next year. For Metroid Samus Returns ... the answer is a bit foggier, but I imagine that the Switch 2D Metroid should be original and not a remake. 

Also, this site has already been over this with an earlier thread, but I think people are putting too much stock in expectations. Reality is SOV and Metriod Samus Returns are selling well, not great, but good enough. I think Nintendo, you know the actual company that cares about money, would port them on the Switch immediately if there wasn't a good reason to put them on 3DS.

Huh, suppose looking at it that way does make sense.

I've been optimistic with Nintendo even during the Wii U era, so I don't think I'll worry over quantity output for the years to come. I'd definitely take a new 2d metroid over a remake as you said. Perhaps in 4-5 years we may see remakes for older titles

Around the Network
Green098 said:
These are really just really low budget titles being put on 3DS so it doesn't look like it's been abandoned straight away. Of course they'd do better on Switch, but that isn't really their purpose.

Ninty is just trying to mask the fact that they've moved on long enough to sell a few million more 3DSs this year and next. As these games fail, and systems sold starts to drop into Wii U territory, Nintendo will officially kill it. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Most Nintendo games should be priced like indie titles, as they have similar production values.

User moderated -RavenXtra

Last edited by Raven - on 26 November 2017

monocle_layton said:
VGPolyglot said:

Snipperclips.

Most people probably think Snipperclips is a $20 game. Does that make it any worse? Nope.

People clearly enjoy smaller titles by Nintendo. The Wii had a lot of solid titles as well. The Switch is a perfect place for these games, especially when it becomes more affordable in the future

That's because (outside of the DLC), the original Snipperclips was a $20 game.

NawaiNey said:
Most Nintendo games should be priced like indie titles, as they have similar production values.

This is complete bullshit, most Nintendo games are extremelly polished and high quality, this argument is only said by graphic whores who belive the graphics of a game should determine its value which is pure nonsense. 

Around the Network

Yoshi's Woolly World was $40 on Wii U, so I'd expect Yoshi Switch to be priced similarly. I also don't see Kirby Star Allies going for $60, $50 at most like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, but I think it'll probably be $40 aswell.

NawaiNey said:

Not sure if you're trolling or not, but I find it hard to believe a game like Mario Odyssey should be priced like an indie game. $19 starting price is burglary of the year. There's no way you can compare something like Shovel Knight or RIME to Mario Odyssey in production value. If you want to go by production value, shouldn't games developed by Sony and Microsoft cost $80 or something since they apparently cost millions more? How about games like Overwatch which doesn't even have a single-player mode (or at least one that's notable), should that have been $60 starting price? Let's not get ahead of ourselves with these hot takes. 

So all ps4 first party games including Knack should be 100$ by your logic

Mario and Luigi isn't Switch though

but anyways, it probably will be like the Wii U, bigger games at full price while smaller budget ones will be cheaper, with really small eshop only games being the cheapest, aside from VC

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

HoangNhatAnh said:

So all ps4 first party games including Knack should be 100$ by your logic

Thing is though Sony has been actually selling their games that don't cost as much to make at cheaper price points.

Like Knack 2. Ratchet and Clank, Hotshot's Golf, etc. being launched at $40. It's clear to see that these Sony games aren't on the same level as an Uncharted, Horizon, or God of War when it comes to production value. Just like it's clear to see that a Mario tennis, Star Fox, and countless other Nintendo games aren't on the same boat as a mainline Mario or Zelda title.