By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Largest mass shooting in Egyptian history takes place - 184+ dead and 120+ injured

You know whats remarkable, these believers keep going back to worship knowing shit like this could go down, i dont believe in a god but damn, you gotta respect commitment and bravery, even if it is a little misguided.

Around the Network

Absolutely disgusting...

deskpro2k3 said:

A bunch of cowards is what they are. what also vexes me is how they're making the Egyptian Goddess Isis name look bad.

Agree.

Where are all the people calling for gun control in Egypt??? That is how we are supposed to end all these attacks right?

Oh wait, they already have gun control there, and yet this still happens. Must be sorcery at work...

JRPGfan said:
Flilix said:

That's what happens when religion becomes too important in a society. There will always be people who use that religion to control the people (e.g. the Popes during the crusades, ISIS, ...)

Time for muslims to change then, and take their faith less serious.

Part of the blame has to be the koran then, and all that crap about sharialaw, which has no place in a modern world.

These people fighting for it, are just murders, not holy warriors or whatever they believe.

It's sectarian violence. You can't just ask people to "take their religion less seriously", I think the Sufi community which is affected by this take their faith very seriously.

And secondly, there is not "a sharia law". Sharia is a general term for Islamic law. What actually constitutes sharia has been a debate nearly as old as Islam itself. Maybe educate yourself before throwing around popular terms you don't understand the meaning of?

Pemalite said:
JRPGfan said:

Islam the religion of peace.....
Why are there so many crazy muslims in this world? what is it that attracts the crazies? or about it that makes people crazy?

Muslims were also the victim in this don't forget.

Religion doesn't make people any more violent than a video game, movie or book.
Some people are violent because they are douche' bags.

Personally as an Atheist though, I would like for all religion to be abolished, especially the Abrahamic middle eastern religions of Christianity, Islam and Judaism... Then people cannot use their silly fairy tales as a justification for bigotry, hate or murder.

Flilix said:

True. The Bible constantly talks about peace an love, which makes it a little less dangerous than the Koran (even though the Bible can just as easily be misused).

Muhammed was a warrior and an emperor, while Jesus was just a hippie.

The Bible also talks about women serving men, sentencing homosexuals to death, sacrifices, stoning of children, owning slaves and more.
The Bible's Old Testament is especially horrific and violent.

However... What many people seem to forget is that the Torah (Jews bible) and the Quran (Muslim Bible) are based on the same Abrahamic texts as the Bibles Old Testament, they share many of the same characters, events and locations. - They have their own twist of course.
Which is why the Bible (Leviticus) forbids the consumption of Pork which is the same as the Torah and Quran.

monocle_layton said:

The reason why Christianity itself isn't as violent is due to the reformations which took place. Had Islam experienced said reformation and Christianity didn't, then I would anticipate Islam being in Christianity's role today

Well. Christian Nations are where the majority of Christians live... And they also tend to be developed nations with higher levels of education, healthcare... Lower levels of poverty and inequality and tend to have stable and fair governments, military, police and justice systems... Which has a massive reduction in extremists/terror groups coming to terms. (That's not to say it can't happen though, KKK being a prime example.)

However... Take all that away and teleport you to a 3rd world country in Africa... There are plenty of Christian terrorists, violence and extremists.
An example would be Joseph Kony and the Lord's Resistance Army.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Resistance_Army
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kony
Who have raped, pillaged, murdered, abducted children and turned them into soldiers and so on.

There is also a group called "Anti-balaka" in Africa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-balaka
Which have converted Muslims to Christianity, performed be-headings and so on.

India is littered with tons of small Christian terror groups who murder, desecrate temples and so on.

With that... Even if we were to abolish all religion, these groups would still exist, their excuses would simply change... And that is ultimately the sad reality of it all.

Your point is certainly valid. People shouldn't ignore either side when it comes to understanding the issue at hand. 

DarthVolod said:

Where are all the people calling for gun control in Egypt??? That is how we are supposed to end all these attacks right?

Oh wait, they already have gun control there, and yet this still happens. Must be sorcery at work...

Almost as if gun control won't magically stop all gun violence...

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:

Your point is certainly valid. People shouldn't ignore either side when it comes to understanding the issue at hand. 

It's an extremely complex topic and there are tons of factors involved.

I find allot of people are closed minded when it comes to Islam, Muslims and Halal and don't look at the entire picture or even the evidence.
They just wave a flag and demand they be kicked out of the country.

monocle_layton said:

The evidence points to the contrary. - Australia is a prime example.
Before we introduced gun control... We were having a mas shooting (I.E. 4+ people shot dead) on almost a yearly basis.
Then we abolished gun control and that hasn't happened in decades.

The USA's mass shootings are such a common and normal occurrence now... That there is even a mass shooting clock.
http://www.dayssincethelastmassshooting.com (It's been 11 days thus far with 3x mass shootings this month {November} so far.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
monocle_layton said:

It's an extremely complex topic and there are tons of factors involved.

I find allot of people are closed minded when it comes to Islam, Muslims and Halal and don't look at the entire picture or even the evidence.
They just wave a flag and demand they be kicked out of the country.

monocle_layton said:

The evidence points to the contrary. - Australia is a prime example.
Before we introduced gun control... We were having a mas shooting (I.E. 4+ people shot dead) on almost a yearly basis.
Then we abolished gun control and that hasn't happened in decades.

The USA's mass shootings are such a common and normal occurrence now... That there is even a mass shooting clock.
http://www.dayssincethelastmassshooting.com (It's been 11 days thus far with 3x mass shootings this month {November} so far.)

1) people are ignorant. I point out that lack of stability is a clear issue and I'm suddenly an apologist for Islam. People believe Halal means sharia law has taken over (remember the outrage over halal butterball turkeys?), and that a chick wearing a hijab suddenly means she's being oppressed. People have to get off of fucking conservative nutjob websites/channels and actually learn something for once in their life. The amount of incorrect evidence surrounding the middle east is ridiculous

2) you just proved my point. My response was sarcastic and meant to say it won't stop ALL shootings. If Australia were to have a mass shooting this year (hopefully not), would that suddenly make it a failure? Of course not.

The states with the most gun control (Hawaii, Mass., New Jersey, etc) have the lowest firearm homicide rates while the 20 highest homicide rates are in states without checks on all gun purchases. The ignorance surrounding guns and the 'muh guns are being taken!' claims are as dangerous as the anti-vaxxing claims. By delaying federal laws enforcing gun control the US will remain a joke while we ignore the plethora of countries with firearm homicide rates 5+ times less than the US'. 

A shame people still think it's a topic for debate. At this point, what else do the anti-gun control people have? 

monocle_layton said:

1) people are ignorant. I point out that lack of stability is a clear issue and I'm suddenly an apologist for Islam. People believe Halal means sharia law has taken over (remember the outrage over halal butterball turkeys?), and that a chick wearing a hijab suddenly means she's being oppressed. People have to get off of fucking conservative nutjob websites/channels and actually learn something for once in their life. The amount of incorrect evidence surrounding the middle east is ridiculous

Yeah. Had similar assertions thrown my way, that I am an Islamic/Muslim apologist, despite the fact I am very strongly Pro-Atheist and would like all religion abolished. :P

monocle_layton said:

2) you just proved my point. My response was sarcastic and meant to say it won't stop ALL shootings. If Australia were to have a mass shooting this year (hopefully not), would that suddenly make it a failure? Of course not.

Missed the sarcasm, probably because I have seen people make similar claims as that and have been 100% serious. Haha

I think the big take away is... Gun Control doesn't mean you aren't allowed to own a gun.
We still actually own guns in Australia.

But you need a damn good reason to own one, you need a ton of background checks and balances and you need to meet a ton of security obligations...
In short... You will not see some drug-addicted redneck hippy, sitting in a rocking chair on a porch, waving a gun at kids telling them to get off their lawn.
We also don't have children getting a hold of a parents gun and having an accident shortly after.

And you are correct... If there was a mass shooting in Australia today, that doesn't negate the past few decades where there was no mass shooting... And we still might not have another mass shooting for another few decades after. It's still worked successfully either way.

monocle_layton said:

The ignorance surrounding guns and the 'muh guns are being taken!' claims are as dangerous as the anti-vaxxing claims.

Don't get me started.
Anti-Vaxxers, Flat-Earthers, Anti-Gun Control, Climate-change deniers... Are loopy, ignorant and/or dangerous as each other.
Thankfully Anti-Vaxxers are a minority... And thus will still be protected via the herd immunity concept.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--