By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday: 1 Tb BF PlayStation 4 sells out before Friday at every retailer?!

Why did the ps4 sell out before Black Friday?

Underestimated demand, me... 15 24.59%

Wild card, 199 price caus... 46 75.41%

Total:61
DonFerrari said:
jlauro said:

True, it's only sold out at the new lower price.  Few things are ever sold out if you are willing to pay scalpers over MSRP on ebay, etc...  and the bundles are now ~$100/33% over priced compared to the $199 console and are not worth considering as in-stock.  Why pay $100 more for a system with half the size hard drive and a game you don't want?

To prove it isn't sold out... haven't you seem him in every Switch sold out thread proving ebay had it available?

You dont make any sense. Available means to have console at official price point, scalpers that have $100-150 higher price point compared to ofical of course don't count. In any case this is totally different situation, $199 is Black Friday deal and that's actually $100-150 lower price point from official price point, and that price is not available any more, but that doesnt mean that PS4 is generally sold out like some people assume here.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 24 November 2017

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:

Selling fast is of no significance if Sony can't restock fast enough to take advantage of the surge in sales. It does however send a warning to MS and Nintendo. 

Not true at all. Let's just say the PS4 sold 1.5M in the days before and the day of BF, but don't have stock for the rest of the week. Then, the XBO has enough stock to ride out the whole weekend, but sells 1.1M. Who wins? It isn't the one who stayed in stock.

Besides, stores will have stock for actual BF. And I'm sure online retailers will have a few set aside for Cyber Monday. 

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

To prove it isn't sold out... haven't you seem him in every Switch sold out thread proving ebay had it available?

You dont make any sense. Available means to have console at official price point, scalpers that have $100-150 higher price point compared to ofical of course don't count. In any case this is totally different situation, $199 is Black Friday deal and that's actually $100-150 lower price point from official price point, and that price is not available any more, but that doesnt mean that PS4 is generally sold out like some people assume here.

Not true...  The $199 is the new MSRP.  It's not just a Black Friday deal except at gamestop where that includes a $50 gift card for $199.

Without stock issues PS4 would have sold absolute gangbusters. "Unlimited sales!!!"

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

In a discussion that is about BF and that the deal for BF is unavailable all other can be considered above MSRP. Unless you also want to consider in a 300M country if a single Switch was being sold at MSRP it wouldn't be sold out everywhere....

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

The main thing is that I hope more sales means more good games, that's what matters to me!!

DonFerrari said:
SuperNova said:
I said this would probably happen in the 'who will win november' npd prediction thread, as a response as to why the ps4 was likely to beat the Switch in November.

199$ opens up a new price segment and gets into attainable territory for lower income households.

Very much physiological barrier, because 50 isn't that much difference, but when validating the expenditure it matters.

Definitely. But It also gives you just a little bit more headroom, for a second controller or a game to go with the console.

$199 also splits nicely between two people, so you'll get an additional group of young couples, siblings, low income families with two breadwinners etc. that will bite.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

ismt it funny that when it's convenient to you you remember that the PS4 official price is $299/$350?

weren't you just saying in another thread how it's been being sold for $250 for a while now with bundles and bigger HDD?

anyways. I don't get why you are so triggered by it being generally sold out or not. if Sony shipped 1M $199 PS4s to NA for this promotion and all of them are sold out? then it means in addition to however many PS4s were sold at a higher price or pS4pro were sold.... Sony has still managed to sell well over 1M consoles for November. 

The real take away here, is just how well the PS4 still stands to sell at a $199 price tag. 4 years later. just goes to show that this year may not even be its peak year after all 

The $199 price (normally $299) is the MSRP for at least 4 more days (today, Sat, Sunday, and Cyber Monday). Wouldn't surprise me if it becomes a new standard price, but it does technically say limited time, but it is the current MSRP for all retailers.

Sony's web site points to 4 online retailers, and 3 out of 4 are out of stock, but best buy is currently in stock. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation4-1tb-console-black/5850905.p for anyone looking for it.

Well I got my black Friday PS4 Pro. $100 off plus Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."