By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analyst: PS3 Price Cut May Be Too Little, Too Late

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16277

Analyst: PS3 Price Cut May Be Too Little, Too Late

Sony is caught between a rock and a hard place. If they don't cut the PS3 price significantly they may not drive sales, but if they do drop price, profitability becomes an issue. Bank of America analyst Mike Savner believes a price drop may not be enough, and that the success of the Wii could actually hurt publishers. More within...

According to Bank of America's Michael L. Savner, a price drop on the PlayStation 3 later this summer or fall would likely not be enough to stimulate sales of Sony's console significantly. Moreover, he believes that the weak PS3 sales and continued shift towards Nintendo's Wii could have "adverse implications" for publishers.

"Despite growing anticipation that a $100 price cut for the PS3 is imminent this summer or early fall, we do not believe such a move would meaningfully improve stagnant PS3 sales and we are growing more concerned that a share shift away from Sony and Microsoft to Nintendo's Wii platform is incrementally negative of all 3rd-party publishers," Savner said.

He continued, "Based on our analysis, we conclude that a $100 price cut for the PS3 (we have dismissed a potential $50 cut as meaningless) would still leave the 'all-in' cost for a PS3 console and basic accoutrements 20-25% higher than the comparable Xbox 360, and does not even reflect the possibility that Microsoft could also lower its hardware prices. Further, an important driver of Sony hardware last cycle was exclusive games, such as Grand Theft Auto. Unfortunately, Sony does not have a similar advantage this cycle. Halo 3, a highly anticipated game release this year is a Microsoft-published game only for the Xbox, and Grand Theft Auto IV, by Take-Two's Rockstar unit, is being released on both the Sony and Xbox platforms."

Savner noted that Sony made a number of mistakes. Consumers are far more price sensitive than they anticipated; consumers are wary/indifferent to Blu-ray (a main driver of the PS3 cost); and Sony didn't have enough compelling exclusives at launch. To make up more ground, he thinks Sony would actually need a $200 price cut, but doesn't see that happening.

"While Sony could cut the price by $150 - $200, we view that as less likely given that it is already losing approximately $200 per console at $599, based on our estimates," Savner said. "Offsetting a potential price cut are decreasing production costs, which should improve significantly this year. We estimate that the loss per console could decline to about $50, assuming Sony does not cut its wholesale prices. Bottom line, we don't expect Sony to make up meaningful ground against the Wii this year."

On top of that, the Wii's success is obviously great for Nintendo, but as publishers look more and more to Wii instead of PS3 it could hurt the industry.

"So why are weak PS3 sales so bad for the U.S. game publishers? Independently, the implications over the short run are not necessarily significant. However, viewed at a macro level, the share shift currently taking place where the Wii, and even the PS2, are the share takers, our concern is that if software sales also begin to skew along those lines that publishers will be trading higher wholesale revenue (PS3 and Xbox 360) for lower wholesale revenue (Wii and PS2). Moreover, this is coming at a time when publishers are continuing to increase R&D spending for the more expensive platforms," he explained. "Lastly, while certain 3rd party publishers like Ubisoft, EA and Activision have shown some success on the Wii, Nintendo remains the dominant publisher on its platform."

Around the Network

Part of this is actually bad news for the Wii, by the way, specifically the part involving third parties.

He has one issue with the Wii: the games are lower priced (49.99), and therefore could cut into corporate revenue (not necessarily profits) over the more expensive PS3/360 titles (59.99).

His other issues with 3rd parties aren't problems with the Wii, but more general problems: large 3rd party companies have already spent a great deal of money on R&D for game engines on PS3/360, and simply brushing aside that investment could be costly.

Lastly, he points out that Nintendo does very well on the software side, and this would automatically cut in to 3rd party sales. I don't believe that people just buy Nintendo-published games "just because," but I do buy the argument that people buy Nintendo published games because they are GOOD. Simple example: if System A has one good first party game, one could reasonably expect a third party game would do better on System A than on System B, which has 4 good first party titles. It's great for the consumer to have 5+ great games to play with, but for publishers of high quality, heavy-investment titles, all it means is more competition and more sales dilution. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

its still to early to predict the lose of the PS3. way to early its only in its first generation of games..

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I'm getting kind of sick of all the "expert" analysts out there...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Analysts are ALWAYS wrong! But i do understand his vision... I mean c'mon a 100 US$ pricecut is going to set the bar at 500$ per piece...! Which is Still WAY TOO MUCH FOR ME! I'd rather buy an X360 besides my Wii!

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

Well it's just common sense. They already had a $500 model and it sold so poorly they discontinued it. Clearly $100 less wasn't enough of a savings for the 20GB, I doubt it'll make much difference for the 60 GB.

He makes it clear that within a matter of months Sony could cut $150 off the cost of the system then dismisses the idea that they might consider an equivalent pricecut? They can afford to lose more money on the PS3 than the could even on the PS2 as it is, and cutting their price point down to a level lower then the Elite would make MS look bad and force them to take more losses as well.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

ssj12 said:
its still to early to predict the lose of the PS3. way to early its only in its first generation of games..

This is exactly the point in the generation that the winner is decided. Do you think the situation is going to change suddenly after a year when the Wii has 20+ million units sold and the PS3 is still under 10 million? Or maybe they're chances will be better in two years?

One side gets momentum, builds momentum, win. That's how it's always worked.

ChichiriMuyo said:
He makes it clear that within a matter of months Sony could cut $150 off the cost of the system then dismisses the idea that they might consider an equivalent pricecut? They can afford to lose more money on the PS3 than the could even on the PS2 as it is, and cutting their price point down to a level lower then the Elite would make MS look bad and force them to take more losses as well.

It's unlikely that MS will take any more losses this generation. Even before the planned 65nm transition, MS is reportedly making about $75 on each Pro, which would equate to a similar number on the Elite. Add in 65nm process and they'll still be making money with $100 price drop. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

The current situation:

PS3: $600
XBox 360: $500/$400/$300
Wii: $250

If the PS3 dropped in price to $500:

PS3: $500
XBox 360: $450/$350/$250
Wii: $200

If the PS3 dropped to $400

PS3:$400
XBox 360: $400/$300/$250
Wii: $200

The question is how much of an improvement would these price cuts have in the longer term ... Certainly people who were dying to buy a PS3 but simply couldn't afford it at $600 but could afford it at $500/$400 would now be able to buy it but how large of a market is that? After the PS3 makes this type of a price reduction when can they afford to make annother one?