By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Belgium says loot boxes are gambling, wants them banned in Europe

Errorist76 said:
curl-6 said:

Again, simple answer. Spend less. If that means less extravagent graphics, fine. Better that than all this microtransaction garbage.

My initial point though was, if rising game prices would be acceptable instead?!

So, that's not acceptable. They should just stop with the ridiculously oversized budgets.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Errorist76 said:

As graphics get more high res and more detailed the amount of effort that needs to be invested to satisfy the customers is rising to. A car in GT1 probably took half a day to be modeled. It takes 6 months for GT Sport.

From what I understand GT Sport didn't do all that well sales wise. So is spending all that time and money on graphics really satisfying customers?

It’s still selling better than Forza 7, which was done by a much bigger team, with less detailed but much more cars in number. GTS is great for what it is. It’s just that some people expected GT7. The game costs 30-40 dollars/Euros atm and will sell like crazy over the holidays.

That wasn’t the point though at all.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 21 November 2017

curl-6 said:
Errorist76 said:

My initial point though was, if rising game prices would be acceptable instead?!

So, that's not acceptable. They should just stop with the ridiculously oversized budgets.

Why wouldn’t it?! Wages, rents, other prices like houses, cars etc. adapt to inflation. Game price never did.

So why wouldn’t it be acceptable?!

Errorist76 said:
curl-6 said:

Why wouldn’t it?! Wages, rents, other prices like houses, cars etc. adapt to inflation. Game price never did.

Because $60 is already a lot of money. More than that is unreasonable.

It's not just Belgium anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h03EY02y2WE

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Errorist76 said:

So what was paying 60$ for a regular game 20-30 years ago?! Or 150 for a Neo Geo game?! (Ok, THAT was unreasonable indeed!)

Errorist76 said:
curl-6 said:

So what was paying 60$ for a regular game 20-30 years ago?! Or 150 for a Neo Geo game?! (Ok, THAT was unreasonable indeed!)

Those were even more unreasonable.

SvennoJ said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Naa, you're thinking about your own motives for disliking it. I'm talking about their motives for disliking it because they apply to phone games too:

"The mixing of money and addiction is gambling," the Gaming Commission declared. Belgium's Minister of Justice Koen Geens also weighed in, saying, "Mixing gambling and gaming, especially at a young age, is dangerous for the mental health of the child.

And there have been numerous stories over the years of children costing parents hundreds of dollars/pounds because of mobile game transactions. So why now? 

Was there chance involved in what they purchased? I've heard of those stories as well but it was always about buying in game currency or skins etc. Plus that has led to better regulation and forced Apple to tighten up their parental controls.

A closer alternative is why are Pokemon blind card packs not gambling? Loot boxes are merely the digital equivalent.

Because despite a particular Pokemon card not having value for you, you're encouraged to trade them to someone who'd want them in return for something you'd want.  A very different beast than gambling and getting useless sprays that you can't use in Overwatch.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

curl-6 said:
Errorist76 said:

So would it be ok if game developers refused to pay higher wages, rents, food costs in the future because it’s “unreasonable “?!

I guess you get my point.

Errorist76 said:
curl-6 said:

So would it be ok if game developers refused to pay higher wages, rents, food costs in the future because it’s “unreasonable “?!

I guess you get my point.

No, that wouldn't be okay. They should just manage their budgets better.