By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Belgium says loot boxes are gambling, wants them banned in Europe

Guys, the article has been updated, and we may have jumped to conclusions earlier than we should:

http://www.pcgamer.com/belgium-says-loot-boxes-are-gambling-wants-them-banned-in-europe/

Update: According to Belgian news site RTBF (Google translated), Belgium's Gaming Commission has not actually finalized its decision on whether loot boxes are gambling. The site says the statement that appeared in the original report, stating that the "mixture of money and addiction is a game of chance," is descriptive of the investigation's intent rather than its conclusion. 

A report linked by the site acknowledges in its conclusion both the spread of loot boxes in videogames, and the difficulty in regulating them using current laws. As always, online translation is rough, but the report indicates that game operators can be "aggressive" with in-game sales and often target "young people." It also calls for "closer cooperation between governments, software developers, and rating agencies," and says that "with the right rules and consistent enforcement," it should be possible to "protect players from the harmful effects of gambling without compromising" the games themselves."

It seems a bit odd that the Justice Minister would comment on the matter and call for a ban before the investigation was completed, but it's possible that he's simply hoping to prod the process along on the path he thinks appropriate. 

Also interesting is a line in the conclusion of the report regarding esports betting: That, apparently, falls more readily into the Gaming Commission's jurisdiction, and it is "therefore implementing a policy for esports betting." That very strongly (and unsurprisingly) suggests that the commission is looking at a lot more than just loot boxes.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

When government works for the better.

https://youtu.be/h03EY02y2WE

Last edited by zygote - on 22 November 2017

I just want online game to become pure P2P with montly fee subscription again. No more freemium P2W.

RJ_Sizzle said:
Chrizum said:

You seem to have completely misunderstood the topic. This is not about pay to win or about gameplay or about value. The topic is about lootboxes being gambling. I didn't say I like lootboxes either. I'm just saying I don't think it's gambling any more than trading card games and Kinder Surprise Eggs are. So relax, take some deep breaths and try again.

And you seem to have misunderstood why people get angry about the lootboxes. Games are expensive enough without major publishers shoehorning bullshit slot machine mechanics on top of them. Loot boxes are worse than gambling since there's no choice of a monetary return for those that pay in. You're giving a company free money for in game baubles that you may not even get. Sorry, if I seem snappy about this, but there's no reason for anyone on the consumer side to be defending this.

Companies should be trying to make more money by making a better product, not by fishing for kids and people with addictive personalities into video game gambling schemes. 

I completely understand why people get angry about lootboxes. And I'm not defending publishers for monetizing the shit out of it.

I'm just saying that, in my opinion, lootboxes are fundamentally different from gambling and everyone who's cheering for governments to crack down on lootboxes because it'd be gambling is cheering for all the wrong reasons. Like I said, videogames in itself are addictive for a lot of people, do we want to regulate the shit out of gaming in general as well? I'm strongly opposed to that.

This has nothing to do with the liking or disliking lootboxes, EA is utter shit and I hope Battlefront II spectacularly bombs (doubt it though), but I say keep government regulations out of this.

For a fictional country, Belgium does also positive things every now and then.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
fuallmofus said:
Why now? Mobile games do that for ages alrdy!

Look at how good your logic is.

Banning slavery: Why now? People have done it for ages!

Because people got tired of the abuse. That's why.