By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Belgium says loot boxes are gambling, wants them banned in Europe

Errorist76 said:
curl-6 said:

Again, simple answer. Spend less. If that means less extravagent graphics, fine. Better that than all this microtransaction garbage.

My initial point though was, if rising game prices would be acceptable instead?!

The big AAA publishers have other, generally more legit routes to follow to leech more money off consumers. Season passes are basically a win-win for publishers - they sell their initial game for what they feel like the full price should be ($80-120), the quality/value of the season pass content isn't 100% nailed down so they can skimp if they want, and then they can release the "GotY Edition" to snag any remaining customers. Microtransactions are also still a thing that isn't considered gambling (but seems almost as dangerous a trap for kids to fall into).

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Errorist76 said:

So would it be ok if game developers refused to pay higher wages, rents, food costs in the future because it’s “unreasonable “?!

I guess you get my point.

No, that wouldn't be okay. They should just manage their budgets better.

Which means lowering the wages...which is exactly what is happening in the industry.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 21 November 2017

Errorist76 said:
curl-6 said:

Which means lowering the wages...which is exactly what is happening.

No. Just spend less on unnecessary extravagances. 

Errorist76 said:
curl-6 said:

This is why they should stay $60.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

arcaneguyver said:
Errorist76 said:

My initial point though was, if rising game prices would be acceptable instead?!

The big AAA publishers have other, generally more legit routes to follow to leech more money off consumers. Season passes are basically a win-win for publishers - they sell their initial game for what they feel like the full price should be ($80-120), the quality/value of the season pass content isn't 100% nailed down so they can skimp if they want, and then they can release the "GotY Edition" to snag any remaining customers. Microtransactions are also still a thing that isn't considered gambling (but seems almost as dangerous a trap for kids to fall into).

Interesting point and yes, that’s happening indeed.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m in no way defending the loot box shit. I despise it...I’m just searching for valid and “acceptable” alternatives. I’m not sure if delivering incomplete games really is that acceptable to me, cause that’s exactly what has been happening as well.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
arcaneguyver said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m in no way defending the loot box shit. I despise it...I’m just searching for valid and “acceptable” alternatives. I’m not sure if delivering incomplete games really is that acceptable to me, cause that’s exactly what has been happening as well.

Well, I feel like I might be repeating the same argument, but the solution is controlling the damn budgets. AAA gaming industry expends a lot in unnecessary stuff, and that's not a valid excuse to make every gamer pay for it if they can't control themselves xD.

IkePoR said:
Errorist76 said:

Lowering the wages in the games industry. Wages mostly get raised over time in other businesses.

That statement is BS and you know it. Btw it was Disney who forced them to take them out. 

Volterra_90 said:
Errorist76 said:

Well, I feel like I might be repeating the same argument, but the solution is controlling the damn budgets. AAA gaming industry expends a lot in unnecessary stuff, and that's not a valid excuse to make every gamer pay for it if they can't control themselves xD.

Those arguments are questionable, because people simply expect a certain level of sophistication with AAA productions these days. 

I wonder why no one (except arcaneguyver) has reacted to my basic argument yet..the argument that games have objectively become cheaper over time.

The argument with season passes essentially being used in order to compensate, is the only truly valid one yet. No offense. If you want simpler, cheaper games, get indies.

Errorist76 said:
IkePoR said:

Lowering the wages in the games industry. Wages mostly get raised over time in other businesses.

Here's a publisher telling it's shareholders - the only people they feel any desire to be truthful to - that a profit turning business model has been axed but bears no detriment to their bottom line.  What this means is that $60 + DLC + Season Pass + multi tiered deluxe editions are making them the intended profit.  At $60, they're still making more money than you or I will ever see in our lives.  

As others have pointed out to you, publishers make their own beds.  That $60 goes farther than it ever has, with costs of physical production at an all time low and the rapidly rising sales of digital copies.  Yet they continue to perpetuate the lie that games are so expensive - they aren't.  In fact, it's more affordable than ever.  It's when you kick your budget management out the door and add unnecessary "features" and prolong development that they get expensive.

If you're feeling sorry for developers and their hungry families, point them to Ninja Theory, who just struck gold with Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.  Or the thousands of independent developers who are raking it in on the Nintendo Switch alone.  Developers like Respawn that deal with the devil get no sympathy from me; in today's market, publishers are not a necessary evil like they once were.  

There's no excuse in a digital era for "starving artists" nor the greed fueled corporations trying to coax them into signing the dotted line.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

good news for the UK. You are leaving the EU. Cost of games in EU will rise a bit if they are banned out right.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut