By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the reaction to the lack of Switch Black Friday sales

Jumpin said:
Has Nintendo ever had “Black Friday” deals? I have never heard of this before.

Stores will always bundle games with systems though so I'm sure there are plenty of Black Friday "deals".  They like to put one good game and a sneak a turd in there which they are having trouble getting rid of and call it the best bundle ever.

Around the Network

I was not expecting any deal... Switch is the hot item at the moment and 3DS/2DS is at its last great big Xmas. so better push that!

Switch!!!

The only ones that will complain about no pricecut deals are the ones who will never buy one anyway...there are a few on this site who are like that and many of us know who they are.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
The only ones that will complain about no pricecut deals are the ones who will never buy one anyway...there are a few on this site who are like that and many of us know who they are.

That 50 dollars is make a break for me.  My snow plowing business is going belly up in Austin, Texas.  I should have known I entered the wrong market.  Luckily, I have an idea of starting a milk delivery service.

It's the console's first holiday, and it has been selling well throughout the year. Why would anyone expect it to be on sale? LOL at anyone looking for a price cut on an 9 month old product which retailers are even advertising as "the hot item of the Christmas shopping season" in their own ads. There is plenty demand from the consumers who want the item.

Around the Network
nemo37 said:
I feel it will be difficult for Nintendo to compete with PS4 and XONE at such a high price this holiday. I am willing to go as far as to say that it may even result in the system losing momentum. Those that are purchasing Christmas gifts are going to look at the price of the Switch and its games and compare it to PS4 and XONE and its games and make the decision based on that. The weakest part of the Switch and its biggest threat is the price (other threats to the system that follow are lack of third-party support, lack of non-gaming features, and poor online infrastructure).

But Switch is selling great from launch despite its more expansive than PS4/XB1. Also this is first Switch holiday season, Switch is new hot stuff, PS4/XB1 were availible the past 4 holiday seasons also. Also we need to mention that PS4 and XB1 are competing one against another, Switch with hybrid concept and own huge or great games that are not available on PS4/XB1 is very different to them.

Nintendo never discounts anything, nothing to see here.

SpokenTruth said:
DialgaMarine said:

I wouldn’t go that far. Switch is going to sell very well, no doubt, but every unit is a bit of a stretch. The device has been readily available at most retailers for months now. It’s passed it’s sold out days, and logically Nintendo is going to be putting out far more stock over the holidays than they did the rest of the year. I agree, no need for a price drop, but every unit sold? Very doubtful, unless Nintendo intentionally goes back to artificial demand. 

1. Not a stretch.  All will sell. Have you not paid attention this year?
2. Demand spikes during holidays so using current availability as a measure is a bad indicator.
3. They didn't employ artificial demand.  If you knew what that actually was and how it works, you'd know better than suggest it.

Anything else?

Yes, and they haven’t been sold out in months. If Nintendo is serious about increasing shipments, there’s be plenty of leftovers during and after the holidays.

I know exactly what artificial demand is, and it’s exactly what Nintendo did lol 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

My reaction is that it makes perfect business sense and Nintendo will make a lot more money this year with this strategy.

nemo37 said:
I feel it will be difficult for Nintendo to compete with PS4 and XONE at such a high price this holiday. I am willing to go as far as to say that it may even result in the system losing momentum. Those that are purchasing Christmas gifts are going to look at the price of the Switch and its games and compare it to PS4 and XONE and its games and make the decision based on that. The weakest part of the Switch and its biggest threat is the price (other threats to the system that follow are lack of third-party support, lack of non-gaming features, and poor online infrastructure).

If Amazon is any indication, the PS4 and xbone's $200 holiday price tags have next to zero effect on how well the Switch sells.  Both of the Switch versions are still hanging around the top 5/top 10 and the only time they go down is when they're out of stock.