By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's 2018 lineup could be bonkers!

How excited are you for Nintendo's 2018?

MAXIMUM OVERHYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 11 14.29%

Super hyped! 11 14.29%

Cautiously Optimistic 30 38.96%

Meh 15 19.48%

Reserved pessimism 5 6.49%

I am Super Worried for Switch's 2018 2 2.60%

NINTENDOOMED! DOOMED I SAYYYYYYYY!!!!! 3 3.90%

Total:77
Barkley said:
Magnus said:
They better not make more Wii U ports. If there are more Wii U ports in 2018 I'm done with Nintendo for good.

Smash Port is probably coming, prepare yourself and try not to overreact. As long as you get games you want to play does it really matter? The existence of a port doesn't mean everything else doesn't exist.

I really doubt they'll make a Smash port, at this point it makes much more sense to release a new Smash game. 

Smash should be a celebration of the console it launches on. I want to see Mario with a move-set based on Odyssey, I want to see Inklings and Arms characters, I want to see the Link of Breath of the Wild (and NOT Twilight Princess), I want to see Rex instead of Shulk, I want to see the new Fire Emblem characters (and NOT the ones from the 3DS games), I want to see new Pokémons, etc.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
Barkley said:

Smash Port is probably coming, prepare yourself and try not to overreact. As long as you get games you want to play does it really matter? The existence of a port doesn't mean everything else doesn't exist.

I really doubt they'll make a Smash port, at this point it makes much more sense to release a new Smash game. 

Smash should be a celebration of the console it launches on. I want to see Mario with a move-set based on Odyssey, I want to see Inklings and Arms characters, I want to see the Link of Breath of the Wild (and NOT Twilight Princess), I want to see Rex instead of Shulk, etc.

You could get all those things in a "smash bros deluxe" though. MK8:D had new characters after all. I think they'll need a release that doesn't need much work to bolster the 2018 lineup that I think otherwise could be pretty sparse as other games they have in development may not be ready for next year. MK8:D proved that being a WiiU game, really doesn't matter that much. It still sells.

Barkley said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Smash should be a celebration of the console it launches on. I want to see Mario with a move-set based on Odyssey, I want to see Inklings and Arms characters, I want to see the Link of Breath of the Wild (and NOT Twilight Princess), I want to see Rex instead of Shulk, etc.

You could get all those things in a "smash bros deluxe" though. MK8:D had new characters after all.

That would require so much work that you're better off making a new game... one that is not bogged down by a 3DS version and with actual good visuals instead of just copy pasting the assets of the games the stages are based on. 

They also need a single-player campaign again like in Brawl. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

I am most excited to see what all the lolligagging developers do now that they realize Switch is a hit.

Square-Enix
Namco-Bandai
Capcom

Looking forward to what they bring.

Hoping for some sorta Final Fantasy VII-IX collection. Ive never been able to sit down and completely play through FFVII on PSONE. Having that on the go (even the OG) would be fantastic.

Magnus said:
They better not make more Wii U ports. If there are more Wii U ports in 2018 I'm done with Nintendo for good.

Why? A poor lineup with Wii U ports would be bad, but with a good selection of new games, it's just icing on the cake. 

Around the Network

The one thing I'm not hearing anyone talk about is the fact that Nintendo has not announced any first party titles. Kirby is done by HAL, Yoshi by Good Feel, Pokemon by Game Freak and Fire Emblem is Intelligent Systems (technically a separate company from Nintendo). Nintendo has not said a word about their first party line-up for 2018.

Nintendo makes about 6 games a year (including Retro, NDCube and Monolith), so there is a lot of potential for big hitters such as a 2D Mario, Animal Crossing or even Nintendogs (which is a series I expect will return eventually). Additionally, I expect Nintendo will have some new IPs or revivals coming next year as well. And perhaps this is a pipedream, but I could also see From Software and Platinum working on exclusive titles for Switch (perhaps even in a way Bloodborn was done for Sony).

You also have third parties which are committing more exclusives to the platform. In addition to ports (as Bethesda and Ubisoft have seen success) and indie titles, you'll see a ton of software on the Switch. The system broke 200 titles this summer and that was only shortly after no one wanted to commit software to it. 2018 (and especially 2019) will be very big years.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

freebs2 said:

I agree 2018 has some potential.

- Yoshi, Kirby and Fire Emblem
-Octopath traveler
- Teased No More Heroes
- Teased Persona game
- Possibly new Retro Studios game
- Possiblty next Next Level Games game :P
- Likely a new 2D Mario or Smash Port
- Teased game form Platinum Games
- More content form reclutant 3rd parties

Sure, Shin Megami Tensei V is a Persona spinoff.

I think 2018 will be better than 2017. It looks like Nintendo has learned from some of its past mistakes and will ensure they have the software needed to keep selling the Switch. Additionally, it seems that 3DS support is slowing down and might stop in 2018, so now they will have more time and resources dedicated to switch only.

Yeah, I assume 2018 will be pretty darn good. Will it have as many game-of-the-generation contenders as 2017? Probably not. But it should have more interesting games in general. 3rd party titles previously released on 3DS and Vita will immigrate to Switch in earnest. And Nintendo will have moved on more completely from 3DS.

Magnus said:

I fail to see how bringing more Wii U games to the Switch would be a bad thing. Bringing them to the Switch doesn't invalidate the amount of fun you had on it. Besides, not everyone had the chance to play them. After all, the Wii U sold under 14 million in the end of its life.