By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's 2018 lineup could be bonkers!

How excited are you for Nintendo's 2018?

MAXIMUM OVERHYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 11 14.29%

Super hyped! 11 14.29%

Cautiously Optimistic 30 38.96%

Meh 15 19.48%

Reserved pessimism 5 6.49%

I am Super Worried for Switch's 2018 2 2.60%

NINTENDOOMED! DOOMED I SAYYYYYYYY!!!!! 3 3.90%

Total:77

The one thing I'm not hearing anyone talk about is the fact that Nintendo has not announced any first party titles. Kirby is done by HAL, Yoshi by Good Feel, Pokemon by Game Freak and Fire Emblem is Intelligent Systems (technically a separate company from Nintendo). Nintendo has not said a word about their first party line-up for 2018.

Nintendo makes about 6 games a year (including Retro, NDCube and Monolith), so there is a lot of potential for big hitters such as a 2D Mario, Animal Crossing or even Nintendogs (which is a series I expect will return eventually). Additionally, I expect Nintendo will have some new IPs or revivals coming next year as well. And perhaps this is a pipedream, but I could also see From Software and Platinum working on exclusive titles for Switch (perhaps even in a way Bloodborn was done for Sony).

You also have third parties which are committing more exclusives to the platform. In addition to ports (as Bethesda and Ubisoft have seen success) and indie titles, you'll see a ton of software on the Switch. The system broke 200 titles this summer and that was only shortly after no one wanted to commit software to it. 2018 (and especially 2019) will be very big years.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Around the Network
freebs2 said:

I agree 2018 has some potential.

- Yoshi, Kirby and Fire Emblem
-Octopath traveler
- Teased No More Heroes
- Teased Persona game
- Possibly new Retro Studios game
- Possiblty next Next Level Games game :P
- Likely a new 2D Mario or Smash Port
- Teased game form Platinum Games
- More content form reclutant 3rd parties

Sure, Shin Megami Tensei V is a Persona spinoff.

I think 2018 will be better than 2017. It looks like Nintendo has learned from some of its past mistakes and will ensure they have the software needed to keep selling the Switch. Additionally, it seems that 3DS support is slowing down and might stop in 2018, so now they will have more time and resources dedicated to switch only.

Yeah, I assume 2018 will be pretty darn good. Will it have as many game-of-the-generation contenders as 2017? Probably not. But it should have more interesting games in general. 3rd party titles previously released on 3DS and Vita will immigrate to Switch in earnest. And Nintendo will have moved on more completely from 3DS.

Magnus said:
They better not make more Wii U ports. If there are more Wii U ports in 2018 I'm done with Nintendo for good.

I fail to see how bringing more Wii U games to the Switch would be a bad thing. Bringing them to the Switch doesn't invalidate the amount of fun you had on it. Besides, not everyone had the chance to play them. After all, the Wii U sold under 14 million in the end of its life.

Around the Network
drake-gx said:
freebs2 said:

-Octopath traveler
- Teased No More Heroes
- Teased Persona game

Sure, Shin Megami Tensei V is a Persona spinoff.

Pretty sure the Persona series is a spinoff of SMT, not the other way around.

freebs2 said:

-Octopath traveler
- Teased No More Heroes
- Teased Persona game

This reminds me of when people say "the 3 Persona games"

a new donkey kong would make the year even better

Alkibiádēs said:
Nem said:

3D land? That would be odd.

Not to burst any bubbles, but it doesn't compare to Zelda + Mario OD + Splatoon 2 + Mario Kart + Xeno 2.

I hope that new Fire Emblem is actually good though. Fates was so cliché and grindy that it put me off the series.
Bring back my boy Ike! (*I wish* Never gonna happen).

Less waifu and more storyu plox.

What i would like to see is a Xeno X port with extra content and save carry over.

I played Conquest, it wasn't grindy at all (you can't even grind much in that game as battles are all limited). 

Well... i only played a part of birthright before i couldn't stomach it anymore, but my main issue, and why it grindy is because the story wouldn't advance in the chapters. It was battle after battle where the plot was "oh theres something wrong" *interrupted*, next chapter "what i wanted to tell you" *interrupted*, next chapter "i best not say anything" *interrupted*, etc. That was grind, but the grind itself comes from the children system and inheritance of skills. It is sooo annoying and grindy.

Yeah i haven't been a big fan of what they have done since Awakening. It was ok if it was one off, but Fates just made it all worse.

Anyways let's hope that the next one isn't another waifu simulator and goes back to a more story driven experience from previous games.

I havents played Valentia because it looked grindy with the dungeons aswell. :/

Magnus said:
They better not make more Wii U ports. If there are more Wii U ports in 2018 I'm done with Nintendo for good.

Its almost certain that Switch will have more Wii U ports, so you done with Nintendo for good right away.

Barkley said:
Magnus said:

Smash Port is probably coming, prepare yourself and try not to overreact. As long as you get games you want to play does it really matter? The existence of a port doesn't mean everything else doesn't exist.

At this point Smash 5 is definitely possibilite, I mean they can merge hole content from Smash Wii U and 3DS, bring some new content also and call that Smash Bros 5.