By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Amazon just bought the TV rights to "Lord of the Rings"

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:
I also would like they to buy and make a series for Harry Potter and finally have a good representation. LotR already got a very good representation.

That might actually be much more difficult (if even possible) considering there's already a bunch of Harry Potter films in the works. They probably wouldn't want any interference with them. LOTR at the moment is pretty dead outside video games, so it's not really going to distract/interfere with anything.

I understand it would be more difficult. But HP movies are almost trash level adaptation compared to LotR so there is more reason for a readaptation of the books. And in the case of LotR they are trying a part not covered in books so it will be fanfic.

shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:
I also would like they to buy and make a series for Harry Potter and finally have a good representation. LotR already got a very good representation.

Gotta agree here. Would be pretty dope to just follow a group of kids as the go through Hogwarts or even one of the other wizarding schools, maybe in a different time period from what we're used to. Sometime between Fantastic Beasts and Harry Potter timeline wise would be pretty good.

Or a crime drama of sorts following a group of Aurors as they track down magical criminals. So much potential in the HP universe for good shows. 

Well I would even like they to readapt the books. But sure they can show the time of the fathers of HP, the youthood of Dumbledore. Or as you said, they could show other students or aurors, but they would need to be mindfull to make it no epic because we already know that besides Voldemort and Grindewald there were no noteworthy Dark Wizard to make gigantic battles.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I wonder if they will film them in New Zealand, and use hobbiton.

Glad i dont have prime anymore then. Hate lotr.

foodfather said:
Glad i dont have prime anymore then. Hate lotr.

Because having prime would be like somebody holding a gun to your head and forcing you to watch this show.....?

Super_Boom said:
Please...for the love of Iluvatar...don't make this into an edgy GoT clone. I know people like that, but I'd much prefer the tone of the original books be maintained. The last two movies of the Hobbit trilogy were disappointing enough.

An original story might be interesting...but I have zero faith right now. Seems like an excuse to milk more of an existing IP that doesn't need to be expanded more.

I'd rather it be more close to a GoT than a Xena warrior princess, or Hercules.

But even GoT has fallen to the cliché tv soap opera tropes the last two seaons. Or basically once it no longer had to follow the book at religiously, since the books weren't out. So they had foot notes, but could do their own thing.

THat's why I'm not too excited about this series. The non LotR/Hobbit stuff is a lot more of the bullet point/foot note type stuff that the show can take very much liberties, and thus we will see the tv tropes seep into it.

Around the Network

I believe it was the last one in the trilogy with the super long "ending". I was actually in a theater and had to take a piss. It was the boat scene where Frodo was poisoned or whatever and being loaded into the boat. Anyways, I eventually just gave up after walking down the row and waiting on side aisle watching it. Ending never came so I went and took a piss and came back and there was still like 30 mins left of the film.

Curious about budget, sets, and effects (practical or computer).

I'll give it a shot, but my expectations are low.