By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - X1X sells 80k+ first week in U.K

starcraft said:
ironmanDX said:

Agreed. 20k at eb I can believe... 60k Australia wide? Not a chance.

That would be a record console launch by quite a margin if my memory serves.

Where are you getting 60k from?

EB Games is the only significant dedicated games retailer. They'd account for a decent proportion of console sales, alongside JB-Hifi.

There was a thread about it a few days ago. That's probably where it came from. I can't remember who it was but they estimated 60k Australia wide. It was a very rough estimation, to be fair to him.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:

These are great numbers.

However, we have to remember that the Pro wasn't heavily promoted, had a low key announcement, was a smaller jump in technology and wasn't stocked as well as the XB1X. From a consumers perspective it's harder to persuade those people without a 4K TV to buy a console that promised 1080p when the console they already had was doing 1080p. On the other hand, it's easier to persuade people without a 4K TV to buy a console that promised 1080p when the console they already had did 900p.

The jump from least powerful to most powerful is a much easier sell. 

Yep, definitely good numbers.  But, like you said, the launches aren't very comparable.  The XBX is pretty much all MS has been talking about for over a year, while Sony launched the Pro just a few weeks after its announcement.  It's been heavily promoted for months, now.  The XBX was basically launched as a new console, constantly touting the most powerful system in the world.  Xbox fans disappointed in the PS4 being more powerful than the OG XBO were sure to jump on board, if only for the bragging rights.

And they definitely have much more stock for it, seeing as Sony underestimated the demand for the Pro at launch.  The X is still in stock at Amazon UK.  Though, it has started to slip in the hourlies.  It may go back up, or it may point to front-loaded sales.

Welfare said:
hudsoniscool said:

That just seams too high to me. That would put all of Australia at 60kish. Does anyone know how much other consoles did at launch? 60k would make its launch nearly the size of the uks.

Xbox One: 65,917

Wii: 32,901

3DS: 31,000

Xbox 360: 30,421

PS3: >20,000

DS: 19,191

Switch: Higher than Wii

PS4: Below XB1

Xbox One had the best launch.

Oh wow! Didnt know my country is quite strong for MS. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Its possible that we are comparing shipped numbers to shipped here.

bowserthedog said:

GfK tracks consoles sold to consumers.

Around the Network

That's great. I am truly happy to see big sales numbers.

With that said, I wonder what it would have been like if Halo 6 launched on the same day, with a month or so of marketing the two leading up to launch.

starcraft said:
ironmanDX said:

Agreed. 20k at eb I can believe... 60k Australia wide? Not a chance.

That would be a record console launch by quite a margin if my memory serves.

Where are you getting 60k from?

EB Games is the only significant dedicated games retailer. They'd account for a decent proportion of console sales, alongside JB-Hifi.

I've been told 2-3 times that even makes up 1/3 of the market there. It was a rough estimate 

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

jason1637 said:
bowserthedog said:

GfK tracks consoles sold to consumers.

I know.. but i'm stating that at least in the case of the Switch they sold the maximum number and were limited by shipments.

ResidentToxy said:
The sales will be incredibly front-loaded. Especially when word gets around that there are no exclusives being released.
Xbox enthusiasts will have rushed to pick this up, and everyone else who got one probably thought that it was a new console. Those who did not know that the Xbox One X is just a revision will likely be disappointed.
It will be interesting to see how big the drop in sales will be. This will probably give Xbox 1-3 weeks in the spotlight before it tapers off significantly

Pubg hits next month but that's most likely timed for 6months- a year

For all the talk of no games I think 2018 is shaping up quite nicely(to be fair a lot of delays fell into 2018)

in the first half crackdown, SOD2, and ashen(big indie). Around the middle of the year sea of theives. Towards the end forza horizon 4, and ori 2. Assuming halo is still on a 3 yr dev cycle that should come in the holidays.

then there's the big multiplats that are coming. Far cry 4 in spring, anthem and rdr2 around summer, battlefield in the holidays. Cyberpunk as well? Probably not. But you can be sure ms will be beating their chest saying how these games play and look best on the x.

VAMatt said:
That's great. I am truly happy to see big sales numbers.

With that said, I wonder what it would have been like if Halo 6 launched on the same day, with a month or so of marketing the two leading up to launch.

I think about halo 6 too. I'm sure it would make people upgrade but I doubt it would push any pc/PS4 guys to buy an Xbox. Those people would have switched over by now. Pubg however is coming next month. Don't doubt it's power to move consoles. Look at how well fortnite is doing. Constantly at the top of the most played chart. And the thing about pubg is the difference between the x and s version is going to be absolutely massive. Like the difference between playing it on low settings(s) and high(x). In other words one version looks like a mid gen Xbox 360 game.