By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 VS Switch lifetime sales, which console will sell the most?

What do you expect?

NSW will win by a huge margin 53 16.06%

NSW will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a huge margin 117 35.45%

Sorry, no troll XB1 option. :P Oh wait... 10 3.03%

Total:330

Depends on PS5 and XB2. If either of them are big hits then I feel they will take the thunder from Switch and current gen consoles.

Sure if either of them are hits then they also hurt the PS4 as well. But the difference is that the PS4 is entering its last years, while when PS5 and XB2 hit it will hit during supposed Switch peak years.

If PS5 or XB2 are big hits then PS4 will only sell around 110m, and Switch say 80m or so as my early prediction.

If neither them are big hits then PS4 might do 115-120m, and Switch has a chance to surpass that.

Maybe all of my predictions are too optimistic and give or take 10m for each, I really prefer to be positive though :).

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:

Easily PS4 ...

If we take a look at their first calendar year of shipments (Which means that we're going so far as to exclude PS4's first quarter!) the Switch already can't match the PS4 with the former expected to ship ~14.5M units at the end of this year while the latter shipped ~15.5M units in it's first full calendar year ...

What's more is Nintendo is only expecting the Switch to be upto par with 3DS in terms of shipments in similar timeframes and especially in a similar period where PS4 arguably had less incentives to be purchased in comparison to the Switch when most of it's AAA games were cross-gen titles where the said games already had abundant access to existing userbases ...

Once Nintendo releases the rest of their flagship franchises such as 2D Mario, Animal Crossing, Pokemon and Smash Bros it will become substantially harder to move hardware ...

I cannot envision a scenario where Switch will be able to have more than 4 strong years of hardware sales without the use of new IPs or the growth of existing IPs like we saw with the DS while in PS4's 5th calendar year in which there's a possibility where it could ship about 85% of what it did this year and the in it's 6th calendar year it could still have a relatively strong showing ...

In spite of the fact that the Switch has had stronger releases than it's predecessor, it is only expected to match it's predecessor first fiscal year in the given similar timeframes, probably still can't match the PS4 in it's first year and then there's a high chance that hardware revisions won't be as plentiful for the Switch in comparison to it's predecessors ...

Nevermind the idea of Switch beating the PS4, it has to first show that it can at least match it!

Your analysis is a bit off.

First, let's compare by fiscal year since we have official numbers for that (and the Switch launched in March so calendar year is a bad comparison anyway). In the PS4's first full fiscal year (3/31/14 - 3/31/15) Sony shipped 14.8 million PS4s. If Nintendo meets their projections, they will sell 14 million units. Nintendo reports sale through, so the 800K difference can be mostly attributed to global retail inventory. (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-ships-22-3-million-units-worldwide/1100-6427007/)

In the second full fiscal year, Sony shipped 17.7 million PS4s. According to the WSJ (which has been credible in the past), Nintendo is expecting to manufacture 25-30 million Switch systems for its second full fiscal year. This puts it well ahead of the PS4. Moreover, if it matched Sony's sales in the first full fiscal year, why would it not happen in the next, especially as there will be more games next year. (https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-sells-17-7-million-ps4-units-in-fiscal-year-2015/)

Whether Nintendo can meet the 14 million projection has yet to be seen, but it's likely as the system has taken off in Japan and is top in US 5 out of the 7 months since its release. Nevertheless, your numbers appear a bit off. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

LimaBean01 said:
There’s some...... questionable logic going on in the earlier posts here lol. But we can always count on Ryng, StarDoor and Rol to bring clarity :)

I think it’s quite possible either way, to be honest. at this point in time, I believe we simply do not know enough to make confident predictions. On one hand the switch could be front loaded (though there’s zero evidence for it, and people said that about PS4 too), on the other, with a sales curve like the DS, it could smash the PS4.

Is your first line sarcasm?

VideoGameAccountant said:
fatslob-:O said:

Easily PS4 ...

If we take a look at their first calendar year of shipments (Which means that we're going so far as to exclude PS4's first quarter!) the Switch already can't match the PS4 with the former expected to ship ~14.5M units at the end of this year while the latter shipped ~15.5M units in it's first full calendar year ...

What's more is Nintendo is only expecting the Switch to be upto par with 3DS in terms of shipments in similar timeframes and especially in a similar period where PS4 arguably had less incentives to be purchased in comparison to the Switch when most of it's AAA games were cross-gen titles where the said games already had abundant access to existing userbases ...

Once Nintendo releases the rest of their flagship franchises such as 2D Mario, Animal Crossing, Pokemon and Smash Bros it will become substantially harder to move hardware ...

I cannot envision a scenario where Switch will be able to have more than 4 strong years of hardware sales without the use of new IPs or the growth of existing IPs like we saw with the DS while in PS4's 5th calendar year in which there's a possibility where it could ship about 85% of what it did this year and the in it's 6th calendar year it could still have a relatively strong showing ...

In spite of the fact that the Switch has had stronger releases than it's predecessor, it is only expected to match it's predecessor first fiscal year in the given similar timeframes, probably still can't match the PS4 in it's first year and then there's a high chance that hardware revisions won't be as plentiful for the Switch in comparison to it's predecessors ...

Nevermind the idea of Switch beating the PS4, it has to first show that it can at least match it!

Your analysis is a bit off.

First, let's compare by fiscal year since we have official numbers for that (and the Switch launched in March so calendar year is a bad comparison anyway). In the PS4's first full fiscal year (3/31/14 - 3/31/15) Sony shipped 14.8 million PS4s. If Nintendo meets their projections, they will sell 14 million units. Nintendo reports sale through, so the 800K difference can be mostly attributed to global retail inventory. (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-ships-22-3-million-units-worldwide/1100-6427007/)

In the second full fiscal year, Sony shipped 17.7 million PS4s. According to the WSJ (which has been credible in the past), Nintendo is expecting to manufacture 25-30 million Switch systems for its second full fiscal year. This puts it well ahead of the PS4. Moreover, if it matched Sony's sales in the first full fiscal year, why would it not happen in the next, especially as there will be more games next year. (https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-sells-17-7-million-ps4-units-in-fiscal-year-2015/)

Whether Nintendo can meet the 14 million projection has yet to be seen, but it's likely as the system has taken off in Japan and is top in US 5 out of the 7 months since its release. Nevertheless, your numbers appear a bit off. 

Wrong, Nintendo reports sell-in, not sell-through.

A more interesting question is which has sold more since Switch's release?

Around the Network

Tough question: I'm seeing more interest in the Switch than the PS4 judging by trailer view count.

Keep in mind one was uploaded over three years before the other. The Switch might have a chance...

KLAMarine said:

Tough question: I'm seeing more interest in the Switch than the PS4 judging by trailer view count.

Keep in mind one was uploaded over three years before the other. The Switch might have a chance...

How does the Switch trailer have six times as many likes with an equal view count?

KLAMarine said:

The PS4.

KLAMarine said:

to be fair the PS4 reveal was not the "event" the Switch's was. It's a standard console with standard stuff.

StarDoor said:
KLAMarine said:

How does the Switch trailer have six times as many likes with an equal view count?

Good question. Perhaps some of the views for the PS4 trailer were achieved through YouTube playing the video as an ad? RDR 2 played as an ad on YouTube and a similar pattern resulted:

Lawlight said:
KLAMarine said:

The PS4.

Anyone wanna do the math?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
KLAMarine said:

to be fair the PS4 reveal was not the "event" the Switch's was. It's a standard console with standard stuff.

Indeed...