By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DigitalFoundry: Doom on Switch: The Complete Technical Analysis!

I think its really neat this game is on Switch, but this is not the version I would want to play.

Especially when the better versions are like $20.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

Why!? Despite "Sub 720p most of the time and gets down to 21 FPS in larger firefights", Bethesda will most likely make profit. And KH3 is using UE4 that actually very scalable, FFXV is different story because dont run well even on Pro (bad optimisation) and SQ wrote they thinking about bringing FFXV to Switch.

Its confirmed that Switch version of DQ11 is based on PS4 version of game, game also runs on UE11.

Also beacuse FFXV, KH3 and DQ11 are SQ game, this what SQ said last week:

"Switch's core architecture similar to PS4/Xbox One. Some adjustment necessary, but multi-platform games not impossible" and "When consider games for Switch), we won't rule out any IPs. Those include new ones, currently active ones, currently not-active ones".

FFXV never ran bad on the PS4 so to speak since it remained at the 30FPS target for the vast majority of the time. In fact the final game never dipped below 30FPS on PS4 but it did have some "frame pacing" issues however, that's not an issue of performance. It's just a bug that can be fixed ... 

Splinter Cell, Doom 3 and Deus Ex on both PC and consoles used to run on the same engine but you can see that the results from a content perspective are not the same ... 

AAA 30FPS games on current gen HD twins would highly likely reduce the chance of the Switch getting the same version of those games ... (Doom on the Switch got lucky with just the level editor and FIFA 18 on Switch is without journey mode both of which are 60FPS titles on HD twins so it's doubtful that the Switch will get the same content as those games) 

The more big 3rd party games that make it to Switch, the more people will try to downplay them. They are selling, so they will come, even if they have to be sub HD and be advertised as a complete version of the game you can play on the go (cause that is kinda the point of thw Switch and all).

Meanwhile us real gamers will just get the version that best suits our needs and move on. I give up on trying to convince those that don't want multiplat games on Switch that both can coexist, they won't change their mind. As time goes by, it will only be accepted or people will be on denial.

Sure there are some games that won't make it, but most can be optimised in some way to run feature complete on the Switch. Considering the main draw is portability rather than res, devs will find a way to do it given the success of the platform.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

fatslob-:O said:
Miyamotoo said:

Why!? Despite "Sub 720p most of the time and gets down to 21 FPS in larger firefights", Bethesda will most likely make profit. And KH3 is using UE4 that actually very scalable, FFXV is different story because dont run well even on Pro (bad optimisation) and SQ wrote they thinking about bringing FFXV to Switch.

Its confirmed that Switch version of DQ11 is based on PS4 version of game, game also runs on UE11.

Also beacuse FFXV, KH3 and DQ11 are SQ game, this what SQ said last week:

"Switch's core architecture similar to PS4/Xbox One. Some adjustment necessary, but multi-platform games not impossible" and "When consider games for Switch), we won't rule out any IPs. Those include new ones, currently active ones, currently not-active ones".

FFXV never ran bad on the PS4 so to speak since it remained at the 30FPS target for the vast majority of the time. In fact the final game never dipped below 30FPS on PS4 but it did have some "frame pacing" issues however, that's not an issue of performance. It's just a bug that can be fixed ... 

Splinter Cell, Doom 3 and Deus Ex on both PC and consoles used to run on the same engine but you can see that the results from a content perspective are not the same ... 

AAA 30FPS games on current gen HD twins would highly likely reduce the chance of the Switch getting the same version of those games ... (Doom on the Switch got lucky with just the level editor and FIFA 18 on Switch is without journey mode both of which are 60FPS titles on HD twins so it's doubtful that the Switch will get the same content as those games) 

Yes, it was actualy frame rate pacing, even on PS4 Pro there is a problem.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-can-final-fantasy-15-hit-60fps-on-ps4-pro

But Doom on Switch have same content like PS4/XB1 versions of games (level editor is irelevent). Fifa on Switch could probably run at 720-900p/30FPS if EA wanted that, but they didnt, they wanted 1080p/60fps and thats why they went with custom engine and thats why game doesnt have Journey Mode. 

In any case you are wrong when you say that "we can safely squash the wet dreams of FFXV, KH3 or MHW ever coming to the Switch without any changes to content, mechanics or level design"  or that "I doubt DQXI will on the Switch will be the same as the PS4 version too when it ran 900@30fps on the latter".

Not single one until now didnt had changed mechanics or level designmissing some part of content is always possible, but that could be case even if Switch has power of PS4. This what DF wrote for Doom version of Switch:

This port is content complete, and every level from the original release is present and correct. There was concern that stages would need to be divided up to fit into memory but that's not the case at all. Encounters play out just as they did on the more powerful console platforms, and every stage is presented as a complete experience. Every enemy, weapon and feature is present and accounted for and that's an important thing to consider. After all, Doom 3 for the original Xbox, a comparable port in terms of accomplishment, featured levels which were reduced in size and complexity to work within the constraints of the system. That's not the case here.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 13 November 2017

And this is why console gamers keep getting 30 FPS games, people accept 20 FPS?
Full of denial here, it's a super sh*t port.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Barozi said:

Even a bit worse than expected.
Sub 720p most of the time and gets down to 21 FPS in larger firefights.

and people are wondering why there aren't more PS4/X1 games on the Switch. Doom was a good running game in comparison to many others *cough* FFXV *cough*.

You do realise that FFXV runs bad even on PS4 Pro, game is not optimised and has very demanding engine, thats all.

Infos we having curently tell us that Doom is seling quite nice on Switch, so yes desipite "Sub 720p most of the time and gets down to 21 FPS in larger firefights" game is selling well and Bethesda will make profit, so yes, people are wondering why there aren't more PS4/X1 games on the Switch beacuse they can make money on those ports, but we know that much more PS4/XB1 ports are coming.

Which is exactly why it would run even worse than Doom on Switch.

Barozi said:
Miyamotoo said:

You do realise that FFXV runs bad even on PS4 Pro, game is not optimised and has very demanding engine, thats all.

Infos we having curently tell us that Doom is seling quite nice on Switch, so yes desipite "Sub 720p most of the time and gets down to 21 FPS in larger firefights" game is selling well and Bethesda will make profit, so yes, people are wondering why there aren't more PS4/X1 games on the Switch beacuse they can make money on those ports, but we know that much more PS4/XB1 ports are coming.

Which is exactly why it would run even worse than Doom on Switch.

Depends, from how much visual downgrades and optimization for Switch hardware would be.

Random_Matt said: 
And this is why console gamers keep getting 30 FPS games, people accept 20 FPS?
Full of denial here, it's a super sh*t port.

Game runs at 30 FPS not 20 FPS, it goes 20-30 FPS only in intense battles.

No one denial here anything, most of people are saying that it's good port for handheld mode but not so good for docked mode, interesting enuf, most of people that saying its good port are actually people that actually bought and played game.

Everyone is talking about the framerate dropping to the lower 20s... and that only happened to me once so far: at the very end of the Argent Energy Tower level. And if you have played DOOM before, you know that is easily one of the most demanding moments (graphic wise), with tons of enemies on screen, tons of lightning en explosions effects going on... it's not something that you'll encounter many times on your playthrough. I'd say 90% of the time the framerate is just fine...

As for the frame pacing issues... have you really noticed them? Because I haven't. Now, I'm not saying they're not there, if digital foundry says it, I believe them. But it's definetly not something it will destroy your experience.

I don't know, I think people are REALLY trying to throw shit to this port. It's graphically inferior to other versions? Yes. It runs at half the framerate? Yes. Does it have framerate issues? Yes (so do PS4 and especially One versions BTW). But the most important question, and the one that most people seem to not want to answer is: overall, does it feel good to play this game? Are you getting the actual DOOM experience with over the top FPS action, brutal sequences, great art design and frenetic and fast pacing gameplay? It's this game on the Switch still DOOM 4? And the answer to all of this is: ABSOLUTELY. And that's what I think it really matters.

I would have no problem playing it in the state it is, because portability is a genuinely compelling feature. But I'm not shelling $60 for it.

Vodacixi said:
Everyone is talking about the framerate dropping to the lower 20s... and that only happened to me once so far: at the very end of the Argent Energy Tower level. And if you have played DOOM before, you know that is easily one of the most demanding moments (graphic wise), with tons of enemies on screen, tons of lightning en explosions effects going on... it's not something that you'll encounter many times on your playthrough. I'd say 90% of the time the framerate is just fine...

As for the frame pacing issues... have you really noticed them? Because I haven't. Now, I'm not saying they're not there, if digital foundry says it, I believe them. But it's definetly not something it will destroy your experience.

I don't know, I think people are REALLY trying to throw shit to this port. It's graphically inferior to other versions? Yes. It runs at half the framerate? Yes. Does it have framerate issues? Yes (so do PS4 and especially One versions BTW). But the most important question, and the one that most people seem to not want to answer is: overall, does it feel good to play this game? Are you getting the actual DOOM experience with over the top FPS action, brutal sequences, great art design and frenetic and fast pacing gameplay? It's this game on the Switch still DOOM 4? And the answer to all of this is: ABSOLUTELY. And that's what I think it really matters.

It seems having 4 enemies on the screen is enough to throw the FPS to the low 20's, which should happen quite frequently unless you're playing on easy

And what's wrong with people criticizing this port? It's all legitimate criticism especially when all the better versions of the game cost less than half of this specific version.

Regarding your question of "does it feel good to play this game?", well, apparently not as good as all the other versions, hence why the criticism.