By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

mZuzek said:
Aw shit, I'm gonna leave this weekend too. Friends calling over to play Smash prior to the tournament and I just can't turn it down, so since I haven't made posts on #26 and #25 yet, inevitably I'll do some more spam later. But first, I need to set it up:

#24 - It is SMB, but not a Mario game.
#23 - The game where you throw away your lovely friend's instrument for a shiny blue royal one!

24. Super Meat Boy

23 well who wouldn't really, I mean it's just much prettier.

Truckosaurus was correct on my hint, Mario Galaxy, Okami was incorrect.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Super Mario Galaxy and I am indeed Mr. Gay.

Yes.

Do you also know what the second game says? Mind will be blown if you don't lol.

I see UR MIAY... must not be it.

Edit: I've looked it up... that one was pushing it a bit.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 08 December 2017

Signature goes here!

Ka-pi96 said:
S.Peelman said:

Yes.

Do you also know what the second game says? Mind will be blown if you don't lol.

How does Super Mario Galaxy turn into Mr. Gay?

Check the letters with a sparkle on them.

Signature goes here!

Farsala said:

28: Hint 1: Features a zombie mode with one of my favorite voice actors (Steven Blum) as one of the 4 characters, who also happens to be in the anime of my avatar :P.
Hint 2: Okay time for a real hint, it's a FPS in a series that became yearly. This particular entry is the first in a separate series within that series.
Hint 3: Hmmmm, the zombie mode had my favorite map in it called Ascension. A common strategy to extend the game is to just run in circles while hitting headshots with a decent gun. However this mode takes a great deal of stamina, as getting to wave 40 can take over 3 hours.

Hint 4: Best selling game of 2010 and oddly enough 10th best in 2011.

27: Hint 1: An RTS! for home console! The version I got had many discs. The sequels would become PC exclusive.

Hint 2: The gist of the game is that World war 2 was altered because Albert Einstein found a way to go back in time and he accidentally kills Hitler which somehow made the world even worse.

Hint 3: Allies have good navy and anti tank units, while the soviets have tesla coils. A funny strategy I often did with the Soviets is build a string of tesla coils from my base to the enemy base. One could only build them 3 or 4 units away from your farthest building so in the end it cost me a ton of money and took forever to achieve, but no army could withstand the string of tesla and once you got to their base, you could destroy them with that alone.

26: Hint 1: Famous turn based strategy game. The version I got had 9 special scenarios where you can play as a historical nation in different eras like Greece, Roman, Middle Ages, and even WWII.

Hint 2: In free mode you could choose between quite a few people and they all had unique strengths. Someone like Gandhi might nuke you though.

25 Hint 1: Another turned based game but this one is in the medieval times. A unique aspect of this from its compatriots is that civil wars can happen. You get to choose between both sides, but if both sides are effectively equal then you lose half your empire just like that. And after you choose a side, the next turn might have another civil war due to loyalty and then you lose almost everything.

28 Call of Duty: Black Ops?
26 is a Civilization game, I think.  Civilization 5?

Darashiva said:

Hints for the next three games at the end.

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Previous Year: #24

I'm a huge fan of both Studio Ghibli and Level-5, so when I first heard the two companies were collaborating on a JRPG I was instantly excited for the possibilities, and the game did not disappoint. Ni No Kuni is an absolute joy to play from beginning to end, with the only real negatives being that some of the gameplay mechanics are revealed oddly late into the game. The visual style, soundtrack, story and characters are all excellent. I'm also very glad they are making a sequel to the game.

Journey
Previous Year: #23

One of the best games to play whenever you want to just relax and enjoy a great experience. Journey is in many ways a very simple game, but that is also one of its main strengths. It knows exactly what it is and what it wants to do. The whole game is relatively short, but every moment in it is outstanding, from the slide down the reflecting sand to the final ascent to the top of the mountain at the end. 

Super Mario Bros. 3
Previous Year: #22

Even after all these years and countless platformers I've played since its release, Super Mario Bros. 3 is still in my opinion the best 2D platformer ever made. Many later games may have added new tricks and gameplay elements to the proceedings, but SMB3 is where the series is in its purest form. The level design is excellent, the gameplay practically perfect, and the little moments of pure fun found all throughout the game are just Nintendo at their best. 

Hints for the next three games:

#23: The second game in this crossover franchise. After countless spin-offs and sidestories we're finally about the get the actual third game in this series sometime soon.

#22: The game that popularized the real-time strategy genre. Unlike most later games in the series, this one takes itself quite seriously. Features the debut of one of the best villains in video game history.

#21: High school and demon hunting inside a television.

23 Kingdom Hearts 2
22 Warcraft

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Farsala said:

28: Hint 1: Features a zombie mode with one of my favorite voice actors (Steven Blum) as one of the 4 characters, who also happens to be in the anime of my avatar :P.
Hint 2: Okay time for a real hint, it's a FPS in a series that became yearly. This particular entry is the first in a separate series within that series.
Hint 3: Hmmmm, the zombie mode had my favorite map in it called Ascension. A common strategy to extend the game is to just run in circles while hitting headshots with a decent gun. However this mode takes a great deal of stamina, as getting to wave 40 can take over 3 hours.

Hint 4: Best selling game of 2010 and oddly enough 10th best in 2011.

27: Hint 1: An RTS! for home console! The version I got had many discs. The sequels would become PC exclusive.

Hint 2: The gist of the game is that World war 2 was altered because Albert Einstein found a way to go back in time and he accidentally kills Hitler which somehow made the world even worse.

Hint 3: Allies have good navy and anti tank units, while the soviets have tesla coils. A funny strategy I often did with the Soviets is build a string of tesla coils from my base to the enemy base. One could only build them 3 or 4 units away from your farthest building so in the end it cost me a ton of money and took forever to achieve, but no army could withstand the string of tesla and once you got to their base, you could destroy them with that alone.

26: Hint 1: Famous turn based strategy game. The version I got had 9 special scenarios where you can play as a historical nation in different eras like Greece, Roman, Middle Ages, and even WWII.

Hint 2: In free mode you could choose between quite a few people and they all had unique strengths. Someone like Gandhi might nuke you though.

25 Hint 1: Another turned based game but this one is in the medieval times. A unique aspect of this from its compatriots is that civil wars can happen. You get to choose between both sides, but if both sides are effectively equal then you lose half your empire just like that. And after you choose a side, the next turn might have another civil war due to loyalty and then you lose almost everything.

28 Call of Duty: Black Ops?
26 is a Civilization game, I think.  Civilization 5?

28 is correct. 26 is indeed a civ game, but not the 5th. The 9 scenarios was actually part of a "complete" edition.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
S.Peelman said:

Yes.

I see UR MIAY... must not be it.

Edit: I've looked it up... that one was pushing it a bit.

Heh, maybe. Because of the "YA", that's kind of weird, but I M R U fits though.

Super Mario Galaxy

• Nintendo Wii
  • 3D Platformer
  • Nintendo EAD

Where Nintendo ventured into new areas during the 7th Generation, we would thankfully still get entries into some of their most revered series. Among them the 3D Mario platforming adventures and what we got with 'Super Mario Galaxy' was one of the prime examples in the genre as a whole.

Like any Mario game, Mario needs to rescue Princess Peach. Bowser has taken her and the castle into space however and each level is a different "galaxy". The levels mostly revolve around a collection of planetoids around which Mario can move in a spherical motion. The concept was actually tested briefly in 'The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess', with the Iron Boots on magnetic surfaces. This gameplay idea gives the game a very fresh premise, which is instantly interesting in the way it opens up new gameplay experiences and surprisingly fresh level-design. There are however also 'flat' classic-styled levels and slides, plus additional collectable Stars for which special objectives need to be completed, which means the game offers plenty of platforming variety.

Besides that, the small confined spaces made for the Wii to even be able to unexpectedly shine in a graphical way, and the game doesn't look out of place next to games from the much more powerful competitor systems. The second game looked even better, but I feel the hub-world and the hidden story in this game, make it come out on top. In any case, after a period of disinterest, 'Super Mario Galaxy' made a strong case to me in favor of console gaming.

A town in this game is based off Sainte-Mère-Eglise, but the name of the map in-game is different for some reason.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 08 December 2017

The_Liquid_Laser said: 
Darashiva said: 

Hints for the next three games:

#23: The second game in this crossover franchise. After countless spin-offs and sidestories we're finally about the get the actual third game in this series sometime soon.

#22: The game that popularized the real-time strategy genre. Unlike most later games in the series, this one takes itself quite seriously. Features the debut of one of the best villains in video game history.

#21: High school and demon hunting inside a television.

23 Kingdom Hearts 2
22 Warcraft

Correct on 23, not on 22.

Darashiva said:
Mnementh said:

I'm falling behind, so more games to guess.

game #28

Hint 1: The original game played in a Villa.

Hint 2: Do you want to pick locks or take more damage?

Hint 3: This game spawned one of the most iconic game series.

Hint 4: The original release featured an intro-movie that was a real video with real actors. This scene was in remakes replaced by a render-movie.

28 is Resident Evil I think.

As guessed by Darashiva, the next game is Resident Evil.

Yeah, the original entry in the series. I never played it originally (I wasn't into console back then), but on Wii I got it after I played RE4. And the first RE from the instant felt even better than 4. It was more horror, more survival, less action. That was so much better.

Do you remember the dogs jumping through the window? Stuff like that burns into the memory.

The game felt right as a survival-horror. You have to uncover the strange things happening. What the game does right, that each time you start to feel confident you can manage it, it adds another danger.

The game kicked off one of the most influential game-series and was a great success. As the series turned in recent years more towards action it was a source of big discussion, there are fans of the newer style , but also fans of the old style.

The game made it to many platforms. As I said, I played it on Wii, but that was a decade later. Originally it released on the original Playstation. But it was ported to Windows and Sega Saturn. Apparently it was released also on Nintendo DS (which I didn't knew) as Deadly Silence. Then there was a remake for the Gamecube, which was the base of the Wii-version I played. And then a HD-remaster for Windows, PS3, X360, PS4 and Xbox One. So basically you can play it if you want.

Wikipedia, MobyGames, OGDB, IGDB

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]