By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

S.Peelman said:

Yes! That is correct!

I don't know if you know what my hint referred to, so I'll keep that spoiler to myself.

Bet Carth is unhappy you ain't sharing the secret. Then again, when is Carth not unhappy?

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

This looks quite charming. Really, I like this graphic style. You also control a team of super-heroes it seems, I like. And did you say basic combat is modeled after Baldur's Gate? I never had this game on the radar, maybe I should've.

Yes, this is real time combat with 4 characters in a fashion like Baldur's Gate.  Of course you are super heroes instead of D&D characters.  And you don't have an overworld map like a D&D game.  Instead you have mission areas, and then you advance your character's abilities in between the missions.  There is tons of replay value since you can focus on a different group of characters every time you play this game.

I'll have to check it out. How do you think the sequel (Freedom Force vs. Third Reich) holds up?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

As ARandomGamer correctly guessed on the second place is Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl.

Does it matter what order I play these games in?  I am very likely to play one of the Etrian Odyssey games in 2018.  I just finished replaying Final Fantasy 1 a month or so ago.  I have always really liked it, but I also feel it is showing its age in a lot of ways.  I also will sometimes play a roguelike game like the various Mystery Dungeon games, but I think what I am really after is an old school dungeon crawler that has made gradual improvements over the years.  Something like Wizardry or Final Fantasy 1, with maybe a few updates while maintaining most of the old school feel. 

Oh yes, at least for me EO gives this old-school feel with somewhat modern graphic (it is 3DS after all) and modern gameplay. You should be able to stomach anime graphics and colorful monsters instead of dark colors and gritty story. For me that is all-right (that's why Freedom Force looks so appealing too).

Order doesn't matter. The series is very low on story and even in the Untold games the major connection is the Yggdrasil-labyrinth you delve into. So feel free to choose a modern entry.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

Dillon's Rolling Western (3DS, 2012)

Seldom I had so much fun with a tower-defense-game. This game is cute, creates a lot of challenge in harder levels and is a blast to play.

I am always looking for a good tower defense game on a console, and somehow I've never heard of this one.  (For some reason game developers think Tower Defense is mostly for flash games or mobile only.)  I might have missed this game because it is download only.  This is one I'm definitely going to check out.

Fine. OK, I have to say it is a bit more than a tower-defense game. While your towers shoot down some monsters, you can face some of them yourself. And you probably should for a successful game, as some monsters wrecking an important tower you can dive in and kill the monster so that your tower survives. Also the rolling mechanic is so satisfying. Just be prepared that later levels get really hectic.

There is a sequel (The Last ranger) and seemingly 2018 will release a third game in japan.

Cerebralbore101 said:

#2 Etrian Odyssey IV Legends of the Titan

Mnementh said:

As ARandomGamer correctly guessed on the second place is Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl.

Excellent choice for #2. I'll be picking up EO Untold sometime next year. Have you played EOV yet? 

Thanks. And might I say, that your pick for #2 is an excellent choice too! I was really thinking about which one represents EO. I could've taken both, but then valuable space in the TOP50 would've been taken away from other great games.

I currently play EOV as I travel to family over the holidays. Have cleared the first stratum and I'm happy to be back in the Yggdrasil labyrinth.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Wright said:
S.Peelman said:

Yes! That is correct!

I don't know if you know what my hint referred to, so I'll keep that spoiler to myself.

Bet Carth is unhappy you ain't sharing the secret. Then again, when is Carth not unhappy?

I always go out of my way to piss him off lol.

games I'll try after this thread

The thread reminded me of some games I wanted to try and forgot or brought some games to my radar I wasn't aware of yet.

This includes Dark Souls. I love Demon's Souls, but never tried Dark Souls. If The_Liquid_Laser says it is the better Demon's Souls, I definitely should try it. I'll wait though, if itmakes the jump to the Switch.

I never played Neverwinter Nights. It was very popular back then. but somehow I missed it. I probably should go back and try it now.

I love Heroes of Might and Magic III. If HOMM2 really is a great single-player experience I'll like it very much. I had the intention to try out all HOMM-games, but always ended up only playing 3. So, at least I should give 2 a shot.

I never heard anything about Valkyria Chronicles. But this looks like it could be a lot of fun. Same goes for Freedom Force. Never heard of it, but it could be right up my alley.

look to next year

I'm pretty sure next year Xenoblade Chronicles 2 might end up in my TOP 50. Haven't played much so far, but what I saw I liked.

I hope Thimbleweed Park is good. Hadn't yet the time to play, but the track record for Ron Gilbert games is pretty good I have to say.

I have high hopes for the next Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei and Octopath Traveler. I hope for more Atlus-games though. Maybe Etrian Odyssey gets an update to the Switch or something like EO will be spawned new for the Switch.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Flilix said:
Slarvax said:

Almost.

Sonic 2006?

It's Knack twoooo-

Ok no. It's one of the most beloved SNES games. 

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

I guess I'll give hints to the last two games on my list as well.

#2: Look at my avatar.

#1: A thief, a mage, a princess, and a knight crash into a forest on an airship after a night of theater.

Ka-pi96 said:
Darashiva said:

#1: A thief, a mage, a princess, and a knight crash into a forest on an airship after a night of theater.

That's Final Fantasy 9!

Indeed it is.

I bet no one can guess my #1 game. (No hints)

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Hint for #1. Three Swords. One for the God of Life, one for the God of Machines, one for a hero.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

• Windows PC
  • Role-Playing Game
  • BioWare
Indisputably in second place on the list, is the monumental 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic'. How can something be better than 'Super Mario 64'? I don't know, but it happened in this Star Wars game, the quintessential role-playing game that sucks the player into it's rich world and amazing story helped by it's seamless, perfect gameplay.

In fact, the game has a 'Star Warsy-story' more "Star Wars" than real Star Wars movies! Besides maybe the original; A New Hope. A classic battle between good and evil, or in Star Wars terms, light and dark. The hook is that the player decides through a long process of actions during events in the story, choices and conversations with companions and others, whether or not he or she sympathizes with either the light, or the dark. Each side of course has far reaching consequences in the end-game and the pay-off at the end for both sides here is grand.

It includes what's probably the greatest plot-twist ever told in gaming, and I never even saw it coming. In a cutscene with some amazing cinematography, and I doubt this is still a spoiler to anyone but skip a sentence or two if it is, it will slowly dawn on you that you are in fact, the Dark Lord of the Sith that the entire Galaxy is afraid of, but in some way simultaneously admires. Your memory wiped and your strings now pulled by your closest companion. I fell off my chair; mind blown. If you play the game more and more times, you'll start to notice there actually were plenty of subtle hints to this fact all throughout the game, but you just don't realize the shocking fact until it's too late.

The game came after I got turned off of console gaming and I played it on a personal computer instead, further cementing my idea of the home computer's superiority during this era. It was the sheer brilliance and perfection of this game that made me stay away from consoles and rather game on computers for several more years. There was no way a console could offer anything better than this. Still a perfect game, and one of the few of which I never want to see the end-credits roll.