By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

I hint everythign except my TOP 3, because the next days may be difficult with being online (with me and you guys), so if someone checks in there is a chance to guess.

game #7

Hint 1: After a god was killed a few years ago, it happens that childs are born without a soul.

Hint 2: It was financed by one of the most successful crowdfunding-campaigns.

game #6

Hint 1: You explore the lands you live: the bodies of dead or sleeping gods.

game #5

Hint 1: One of the most successful launch-titles ever for a new console.

game #4

Hint 1: This turn-based strategy game is one of the most successful entries in the series, although it got criticized because one gameplay element of the series could be deactivated for a playthrough to make it easier/more accessible.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

game #4

Hint 1: This turn-based strategy game is one of the most successful entries in the series, although it got criticized because one gameplay element of the series could be deactivated for a playthrough to make it easier/more accessible.

Fire Emblem Awakening?

Mnementh said: 

game #5

Could only be a handful of things, I'll again go with Breath of the Wild.

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

More hints on mine:

#5 This is the second in a series of classic PC strategy games. The strategy series is a spinoff of an even earlier RPG series. 
HInt 2: I picked the second game in the series, but more fans of the series prefer the third game.
Hint 3: This game has 6 different kinds of towns which correspond to the 6 different kinds of heroes.

#4 In North America, this spinoff game was released just a few months after the series' most successful entry.

Yes, Human Revolution is correct.

Your #5 is probably Heroes of Might and Magic 2.

Correct!

Flilix said:
Mnementh said:

game #4

Fire Emblem Awakening?

Yes.

S.Peelman said:
Mnementh said: 

game #5

Could only be a handful of things, I'll again go with Breath of the Wild.

Correct.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

game #10

Hint 1: This first-person-shooter is set in a universe more well-known for it's space fights.

Hint 2: The first mission in this game helps set the events of the first movie into motion.

#10 is some sort of Star Wars FPS.  I'll guess Star Wars: Dark Forces.

Star Wars: Dark Forces is my game #10, as guessed by The_Liquid_Laser.

I already had some Lucasarts-games in my list, but they were point-and-click-adventures. This one is an old-school first -person-shooter. And while Dark Forces builds upon the foundation of basically Doom it improves the formula in many regards and has a consitent world. Also Dark Forces adds mission briefing between the levels, which puts you much stronger into the plot and give you a stronger feeling for the goal, instead of just finding blue and red keycards and finally the exit. Dark Forces has for each level a clear objective, for instance in the first level recovering the blueprints for the Death Star. This makes the game so much stronger than Doom.

The shooting gameplay and resource-management (shields, ammo) works well. The plot is fine and grows good, as you explore more and more the threat of this new development. You play as Kyle Katarn, a new character which allowed Lucasarts to develop a new story.

The game should work fine with Dosbox if you have an old copy, but I can't find a way to get it now, as GOG only has Dark Forces II, which is already very different.

Wikipedia, MobyGames, OGDB, IGDB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbwPsv6d028&list=PL6DD3A833ADC1E543

#4 hint: 1 of the many spinoffs of my favourite franchise.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

No need to type anything here. If you haven't beaten this, and loved it, you're a tasteless, soulless husk, that shouldn't be allowed to post on these boards. 

The Last of Us
Previous Year: #7

The Last of Us is a game I consider to be one of the best examples of storytelling in games to date. The game succeeds largely thanks to its excellent writing, through which it manages to create several interesting and relatable characters. The gameplay does very well to support this, and the end result is a beautifully haunting vision of a future that has gone very wrong for humanity.

Hint for #8:

Will you ignite the flame for yet another cycle, or maybe let it burn out to usher in a new era of darkness, or perhaps take over the flame yourself and become the true rules of the undead?

game #7

Hint 1: After a god was killed a few years ago, it happens that childs are born without a soul.

Hint 2: It was financed by one of the most successful crowdfunding-campaigns.

Hint 3: This RPG was the spiritual successor of one of the games I already had on the list.

game #6

Hint 1: You explore the lands you live: the bodies of dead or sleeping gods.

Hint 2: For reasons unknown it was difficult to get this game release in the US, although in europe a release with an english translation already existed.

game #5

Guessed by S.Peelman: Zelda Breath of the Wild

game #4

Guessed by Flilix: Fire Emblem Awakening