By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

game #13

Hint 1: You die in the tutorial.

13 is Demon's Souls?

Yes, Demon's Souls, as The_Liquid_Laser again guessed correctly.

Liquid Laser said in his review of Dark Souls, that the game is like a rogue-like in a way. I have to say it feels not unlike that for Demon's Souls. You explore a hostile environment, full of traps and monsters. Sure, it is not randomly generated and no permadeath, which makes Demon's Souls easier and more accessible. But still you have to take on this big quest of fighting the demons.

There is more to it. I very much like how in the intro there are dropped names of heroes that entered the land and never came back. And in the game you meet them. This is extremely cool. All the lore you encounter too.

Also, although you not die permanently, some deaths are chilling out of the visuals you get. See the guy in the picture above? Remember how he killed you? That impressed me definitely the first time I died on him. What makes it more interesting: I saw before a ghost die by this guy. But I did't understood what I saw. If you see the death of older ghosts through blood puddles, you don't see the monster. So what I saw was: The ghost was running forward, slashing his sword, stopping, start hovering in the air shivering, and then he was dead. I had no idea what that meant, until it happened to me too. Experiences like this make the game so cool.

I generally like more slow and patient gameplay over fast reaction gameplay. Demon's Souls rewards if you go in slow, dodging and blocking waiting for the opening to strike back. I know many prefer fast gameplay which probably is the reason many dislike Souls games, but for me it is perfect.

I also like that you die in the tutorial and go around at first (and later of) as a ghost. Also meeting ghosts of fallen heroes before you. The maiden in black reviving you. All the back-story about it.

A short mention the online stuff. Seeing the messages of other players and their blood puddles that show you their moments of death and random seconds of actions other players as ghosts is quite an excellent idea. The online capabilities are cool, but as I more of a single player gamer, I prefer these ghostly images of other players.

I never played Dark Souls, and I probably should at some point. Maybe it can even improve on this formula. Currently I hope From ports Dark Souls to Switch, that would be awesome. If not I probably will pick up Dark later on. Good games don't get bad over time, so no rush (especially seeing my endless backlog).

Wikipedia, MobyGames, OGDB, IGDB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qud5bORfz2M

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Guys, is #11 really that difficult?

game #11

Hint 1: Crossover of two well-known game-series that never before shared the same platform.

Hint 2: Draw the map on graph paper in your school notebook.

Hint 3: This turn-based RPG is very stylish and colorful.

Hint 4: Fight (amongst others) against tables, playing cards, books and other stuff.

Hint 5: The game gets characters (although with transformed design) and name from one series, major gameplay elements and platform from the other.

game #8

Hint 1: Transhumanism is a revolution.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Hint for #10 at the end.

Final Fantasy VIII
Previous Year: #10

Final Fantasy VIII is the first game in the series I ever played, and to this day it remains one of my favourite games in general. It may be one of the most divisive games in the series, and a lot of people don't like it at all, but for me it holds up remarkably well. I have no problems returning to the game and replaying it from time to time.

Bloodborne
Previous Year: New

The game that proved that Dark Souls wasn't just a fluke, and established Hidetaka Miyazaki as one of the best and most talented people working in the industry today. Everything in this game is near perfect, from the amazingly detailed and fully realized city of Yharnam, to the challenging but highly rewarding fast-paced gameplay, Bloodborne is simply an exceptional game.

Hint for #10:

The conclusion to the story of a treasure hunter going for one final adventure with his brother.

Darashiva said:

Hint for #10 at the end.

Hint for #10:

The conclusion to the story of a treasure hunter going for one final adventure with his brother.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Darashiva said:

Hint for #10 at the end.

Hint for #10:

That's the one. You've guessed quite a large number of the games on my list.

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
TruckOSaurus said:

That's the one. You've guessed quite a large number of the games on my list.

You and I have a good many titles in common, that helps. 

I should really get around to posting at least my Top 25.

Signature goes here!

More hints!

#6 A couple of months before this game this game was released in the US, a Hollywood movie was released in the theatres in order to promote the game.
Hint 2: The title of the movie in hint 1 is a reference to a song by The Who about a kid who plays a "mean pinball". Although the kid in this movie plays a mean video game instead.

#5 This is the second in a series of classic PC strategy games. The strategy series is a spinoff of an even earlier RPG series.
HInt 2: I picked the second game in the series, but more fans of the series prefer the third game.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 22 December 2017

#6 15 games in one!

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints!

#6 A couple of months before this game this game was released in the US, a Hollywood movie was released in the theatres in order to promote the game.
Hint 2: The title of the movie in hint 1 is a reference to a song by The Who about a kid who plays a "mean pinball". Although the kid in this movie plays a mean video game instead.

#5 This is the second in a series of classic PC strategy games. The strategy series is a spinoff of an even earlier RPG series.
HInt 2: I picked the second game in the series, but more fans of the series prefer the third game.

#6: Super Mario Bros 3 (The Wizard being the movie)

Signature goes here!

Mnementh said:

Guys, is #11 really that difficult?

game #11

Hint 1: Crossover of two well-known game-series that never before shared the same platform.

Hint 2: Draw the map on graph paper in your school notebook.

Hint 3: This turn-based RPG is very stylish and colorful.

Hint 4: Fight (amongst others) against tables, playing cards, books and other stuff.

Hint 5: The game gets characters (although with transformed design) and name from one series, major gameplay elements and platform from the other.

game #8

Hint 1: Transhumanism is a revolution.

is 13 tokyo mirage sessions#FE? I have no idea I never played the game.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD