By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Japanese Ads

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
OTBWY said:

I find it funny that you now claim that it's your opinion when saying stuff like "the game is trash" as it's an accepted fact. Most people accept that it is a good game (as most review aggregates and critics say). You don't. Your opinion is probably minor, but your opinion nonetheless. That's why I said it. No need to tell me that I need validation, since I'm merely expanding on factual information, and correcting you.

It's not a fact that BOTW is good because a majority of people say so ... stuff like metacritic is just an aggregate of opinions. 

You made my point mate.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:

It's not a fact that BOTW is good because a majority of people say so ... stuff like metacritic is just an aggregate of opinions. 

You made my point mate.

Now i'm confused. Are you saying a game is factually good because it has a positive aggregate score, or that it's a fact that opinions on the game are positive. 

The latter is definitely true. 

OTBWY said:

You made my point mate.

Now i'm confused. Are you saying a game is factually good because it has a positive aggregate score, or that it's a fact that opinions on the game are positive. 

lol no. He said that the game was trash as a fact. At least that's how I saw it from his earlier comments. I explained that that was his opinion, but most opinions on the game (aggregates, critics on YT) conclude that it is a good game. So the latter. He can have his opinion, that is his right. But it is also my right to not take his opinion on the game seriously on count of a nasty bias observed from his previous posts.

OTBWY said:

lol no. He said that the game was trash as a fact. At least that's how I saw it from his earlier comments. I explained that that was his opinion, but most opinions on the game (aggregates, critics on YT) conclude that it is a good game. So the latter. He can have his opinion, that is his right. But it is also my right to not take his opinion on the game seriously on count of a nasty bias observed from his previous posts.

I don't think he was stating it as a fuck, just stating it kind of arrogantly for the purposes of riling up a too content fanbase  

But then I can agree with you. I'm sorry, I could not tell if you meant the former or latter by reading your comment. It always confuses me when people pass of Metacritic as a fact. I think it's a great game, but I guess I can understand how others don't.

OTBWY said:

I don't think he was stating it as a fuck, just stating it kind of arrogantly for the purposes of riling up a too content fanbase  

But then I can agree with you. I'm sorry, I could not tell if you meant the former or latter by reading your comment. It always confuses me when people pass of Metacritic as a fact. I think it's a great game, but I guess I can understand how others don't.

Which is why I made that comment on my wall.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

And you thought I was trying to insult you, when I said that everything you write is practically satire at this point.

I like how the one time a comment I make is genuinely satire you use it as basis to be rude in all threads. Warning, I occasionally engage in satire. Do you want a satire ban so your mind can comprehend what is and isn't satire? Because I can promise you that 95% of my posts aren't satire, including "Sonic Mania is better than Odyssey". 

Nicely done!

You're missing the point. I literally can't tell what comment you're even referring to as being genuinely satire, since everything you write seems too ridiculous and edgy to be an honest opinion, like "Sonic Mania is better than Odyssey by an incredibly large margin" (word for word).
And even if one of your "Dark Souls is the best open-world game", or "Thought you were talking about Odyssey. Was about to school you on what Open-world means!", comments were meant to be satire, they were both wrong anyway, and together sounded almost too ironic; and the latter definitely didn't come off like you were attempting satire.

I'm gonna stop before I start actually returning insults at you. I only ask that you maybe start reflecting on what you write from now on.

Shaunodon said:

You're missing the point. I literally can't tell what comment you're even referring to as being genuinely satire, since everything you write seems too ridiculous and edgy to be an honest opinion, like "Sonic Mania is better than Odyssey by an incredibly large margin" (word for word).
And even if one of your "Dark Souls is the best open-world game", or "Thought you were talking about Odyssey. Was about to school you on what Open-world means!", comments were meant to be satire, they were both wrong anyway, and together sounded almost too ironic; and the latter definitely didn't come off like you were attempting satire.

I'm gonna stop before I start actually returning insults at you. I only ask that you maybe start reflecting on what you write from now on.

Maybe you just lack reading comprehension? No joke - it should be pretty obvious when I say something satirically or not.  

I don't even know how what I said about Sonic Mania is ridiculous or edgy, is it that hard to believe someone prefers Sonic Mania by a wide margin? You only think it's ridiculously edgy because you are so wrapped up in your own bias towards Odyssey, but other people have biases. I've never said it is crazy to widely prefer Odyssey to Mania, and I'd never say that because it's obvious why people love Odyssey(and I love Odyssey, I should add).  I wouldn't describe most of my comments as such(maybe a good 20% of them?), but there's definitely a hint of "edginess" in a minority of what I write, that's just how I like to write. It doesn't mean that it's hard to distinguish what is or isn't satirical. If it's edgy, it's most likely satire. You look at it as I should think about what I write, I see it as you should think about what you read.

I can't even understand how you lack the awareness to understand what is satire when someone is literally going out of their way to do something as ridiculous as to act like they don't know about the most popular open world game of the year. 

If you think that's a me problem, then you need to think about your mental process a bit. It's ironic especially considering you're being condescending. I think you know by now that I genuinely would rather be neutral or friends than look at each other negatively, but it's hard for me not to see you as a negative process when you blame me for your lack of awareness. Like, I'm not even trying to be rude, if you can't understand the satire or think all of my comments sound like satire you should A ) Try to comprehend what you read or B ) Be more open to more opinions or C ) Read more of my comments. No one else has this problem, only you do, and that's not a coincidence. 

By the way, even though the Dark Souls thing was a joke, the first Dark Souls game IS an open world game. And it's probably my favorite one at that. 

Shaunodon said:

Maybe you just lack reading comprehension? No joke - it should be pretty obvious when I say something satirically or not.  

I don't even know how what I said about Sonic Mania is ridiculous or edgy, is it that hard to believe someone prefers Sonic Mania by a wide margin? You only think it's ridiculously edgy because you are so wrapped up in your own bias towards Odyssey, but other people have biases. I've never said it is crazy to widely prefer Odyssey to Mania, and I'd never say that because it's obvious why people love Odyssey(and I love Odyssey, I should add).  I wouldn't describe most of my comments as such(maybe a good 20% of them?), but there's definitely a hint of "edginess" in a minority of what I write, that's just how I like to write. It doesn't mean that it's hard to distinguish what is or isn't satirical. If it's edgy, it's most likely satire. You look at it as I should think about what I write, I see it as you should think about what you read.

I can't even understand how you lack the awareness to understand what is satire when someone is literally going out of their way to do something as ridiculous as to act like they don't know about the most popular open world game of the year. 

If you think that's a me problem, then you need to think about your mental process a bit. It's ironic especially considering you're being condescending. I think you know by now that I genuinely would rather be neutral or friends than look at each other negatively, but it's hard for me not to see you as a negative process when you blame me for your lack of awareness. Like, I'm not even trying to be rude, if you can't understand the satire or think all of my comments sound like satire you should A ) Try to comprehend what you read or B ) Be more open to more opinions or C ) Read more of my comments. No one else has this problem, only you do, and that's not a coincidence. 

By the way, even though the Dark Souls thing was a joke, the first Dark Souls game IS an open world game. And it's probably my favorite one at that. 

I guess it was just too much to ask.

Shaunodon said:

I guess it was just too much to ask.

So wait a minute, I give a long reasonable detailed reply about why it should not be hard to understand what is satire and what isn't, and this is what you respond with? Now I'm starting to think you're intentionally being like this. How did that comment not make sense? 

OTBWY said:
vivster said:

I don't need the majority on my side when I know that the majority of people has different taste than me. The vast majority of people also does not have the kind of choice available that I have so I don't give much about their lacking ability to accurately assess games on a broader scale. I mean I need to look no further than this forum where most Nintendo fans generally claim games to look AMAZING when they don't even have anything to properly compare it to. While someone who is used to a much higher graphical fidelity will see them at what they are, a decade behind.

But if you need the backing of other people to validate your own taste, just go ahead.

I find it funny that you now claim that it's your opinion when saying stuff like "the game is trash" as it's an accepted fact.

I shouldn't butt in, but I will.

You realize that literally isn't possible, right? Someone can't possibly say "the game is trash" as if it's fact. It's a subjective statement. This is grammar. As soon as he says the word "trash," the sentence becomes "the [quality of the] game is [so bad that I associate it with] trash." As soon as "quality of the" becomes a part of the underlying sentence, literally everything he says after to clarify what quality he's giving the game is going to be a subjective statement. There is nothing he can do after that. He cannot possibly turn that statement into a fact statement. The very foundation of the sentence is to denote subjectivity.

You're being paradoxical. That's like saying "you're saying '2+2=4' as if it's opinion." No, he's just saying 2+2=4. He cant "say it as if it's" anything but what it is. There's no intonation or context that changes what type of statement it is. Just because he's confidently or assertively saying a game isn't good doesn't mean he can distort the rules of grammar, which is what you're implying. Here's a secret. Saying "in my opinion" before or after ANYTHING will ALWAYS be redundant. Of course it's your opinion. It's not like it's someone else's. It's implied to be yours by you saying it, and saying it so people know you're stating an opinion and not a fact is patronizing and assumes that people don't have a grade school understanding of the difference between objectivity and subjectivity. What you're really doing is bashing Viv for trying to respect your intelligence instead of assuming that you can't tell the simple difference by yourself like most people do.

---

Btw, BotW is amazing Viv and by far the best open world ever made - your opinion is trash. I say this with love. And hatred. I'm trying to figure out how jokey I need to make this aside to avoid a moderation. Viv is a poop. A cool poop. Poop emoji. Keep saying BotW or whatever game you think is trash is trash, tho. Because, you know, you can. In my opinion. Dammit.