By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - And the Scalpers Are OUT!!!!!

Scalping is...

Good. 11 16.42%

Not good. 20 29.85%

Xbox teh FourKay 13 19.40%

Xbox is Doomed... 18 26.87%

Doomed...? 5 7.46%

Total:67
Cubedramirez said:
Here in Minnesota the XBox One X (stupid ass name) is in stock everywhere and these guys have filled the market places with this nonsense.

Beyond laughable.

Pretty funny how it's literally everywhere. Went around the Twin Cities and most of the stores I went to had stock. Not really sure why anyone would scalp a premium product that can't even sell out

Around the Network

SNES Classic sells out: "Damnit Nintendo. Get your shit together!"

Switch sells out: "I can't find one anywhere! Why are they doing this to me!?"

XBO X readily available: "Ha, ha! Losers."

greenmedic88 said:
Scalping is generally a product of open markets (when demand exceeds available supply) and flaws in the provider's distribution system.

So in most cases when scalping is rampant, it's not unfair to blame the manufacturer for failing to produce enough to meet demand, although this may be due to factors out of their hands. The manufacturer is dependent upon supply channels and OEM providers who may fail to fulfill contracts on time.

So the only real time it's completely acceptable to fault the manufacturer, is in instances of artificially produced scarcity, which is a risk involved strategy to increase demand and ultimately increase sales if the consumer is swayed by such tactics. "Limited Edition" "Inaugural Edition" "First Edition" etc. are sales tactics that fall into this strategy.

So when it comes to scalpers, typically they are providing the service (yes, service) of distributing supply to underserved markets or individuals for a premium or finder's fee.

It's generally only unscrupulous when the scalper attempts to divert a significant portion of local supply in the interest of blocking the manufacturer's distribution plan to increase their reseller's fee.

It should go without saying that manufacturers can kick this practice in the head by simply providing more supply barring hiccups in manufacturing, OEM parts sourcing or even distribution (shipping).

I'll second all of this.  Scalpers are just responding to market signals, and making said market more efficient.  

Why would anyone want to scalp people when the console is still available everywhere?!

Errorist76 said:

Why would anyone want to scalp people when the console is still available everywhere?!

‘there’s a sucker born every minute

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
cmay227 said:
The_Yoda said:

So how does Gamestop screw people over on a non-essential product when people are willing to pay or accept the amount being set by Gamestop.  Seems kind of like its ok for you being on the winning end but when you are on the losing end of the deal the other party is screwing you ... perhaps I'm wrong, please explain the difference in your mind.

You can get more from other places then what GameStop gives for used games or consoles. As well as what they charge for a used game or console. We're talking used vs new here. There are many other choices then them who will give more. GameStop and scalpers are the same in how they sell a service or product. I understand how both work and don't buy from either. But to say its unethical is dumb. If people are stupid enough to spend the cash then that's their problem. No matter who they buy from. GameStop is a business, scalpers are opportunists who seizes a opportunity. I have a family member that works at GameStop corporate. The policy's they have are very anti consumer. It's a totally different conversation. Screwing the gamer was the wrong words to use. And this is not about me. 

Fair enough, essential neither GameStop nor scalpers are providing the best deal out there be it new or used product. Sorry if the way you were defending the practice of scalping seemed like you had skin in the game.  Sorry for using a personal example.