By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - And the Scalpers Are OUT!!!!!

Scalping is...

Good. 11 16.42%

Not good. 20 29.85%

Xbox teh FourKay 13 19.40%

Xbox is Doomed... 18 26.87%

Doomed...? 5 7.46%

Total:67
Zkuq said:
cmay227 said:

If someone's willing to pay more, I'll gladly take their money. Not my fault they pay more. Scalpers are stupid? Really? Seizing a opportunity to make money is far from stupid. Profit is made in the first few weeks. If the market isn't there, then most of the times the consoles are return to the store. The newbies to selling hot products like this are the ones who usually lose money. 

Scalpers are stupid because in this case, it sounds like it's still in stock, and there will definitely be more stock, which you can't really say for all products. They're stupid because they have a good chance of losing money on this one. Of course some are also going to make money, but this seems like a really risky product to me.

I agree. It's risk vs reward. Most don't lose money. Worse come to worse it's sold for MSRP and they move on.

Around the Network
cmay227 said:

If someone's willing to pay more, I'll gladly take their money. Not my fault they pay more. Scalpers are stupid? Really? Seizing a opportunity to make money is far from stupid. Profit is made in the first few weeks. If the market isn't there, then most of the times the consoles are return to the store. The newbies to selling hot products like this are the ones who usually lose money. 

But if the scalper can't sell them at a profit then the scalper loses money, I doubt a scalper can go to a shop with 10 xbox and say I'm returning these cause they're defective, give me back my money

AlfredoTurkey said:
cmay227 said:

I consider preying on naive/desperate people an ethically corrupt practice. That's why I don't do it. If I knew someone really wanted a console and I had two, I'd either sell it for what I paid or flat out give them one... just because I like being a good person.

It's not preying. A product is offered at a price. You either buy it or you don't. People work hard for money and they have the right to spend it however they see fit. If someone pays over double for something that they want, who's to say that's wrong? They choose to spend that money. It's not like their calling people and badgering them to buy it.

Those are some pretty low profit margins for scalpers, switch and ps4 scalp prices were significantly higher.

I guess it's harder to scalp a console that's in stock in most stores still.

Meanwhile in japan, you can still buy the original Xbox one console day one edition at retail. 

Last edited by NATO - on 09 November 2017

GProgrammer said:
cmay227 said:

But if the scalper can't sell them at a profit then the scalper loses money, I doubt a scalper can go to a shop with 10 xbox and say I'm returning these cause they're defective, give me back my money

Yes you can return as many as were purchased. Can't deny a return because a person purchased a bunch of them. Don't lose money if you sell them for MSRP. Nobody is losing money the first 60 days after that you never know.

Around the Network
cmay227 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I consider preying on naive/desperate people an ethically corrupt practice. That's why I don't do it. If I knew someone really wanted a console and I had two, I'd either sell it for what I paid or flat out give them one... just because I like being a good person.

It's not preying. A product is offered at a price. You either buy it or you don't. People work hard for money and they have the right to spend it however they see fit. If someone pays over double for something that they want, who's to say that's wrong? They choose to spend that money. It's not like their calling people and badgering them to buy it.

When someone is desperate to buy a product that is sold out and you use said desperation to make money off of them... it's called taking advantage of people or, preying on them. There's semantics involved in this discussion, which is why I said I consider it ethically wrong. 

NATO said:

Those are some pretty low profit margins for scalpers, switch and ps4 scalp prices were significantly higher.

Meanwhile in japan, you can still buy the original Xbox one console day one edition at retail. 

Ok. Good for Japan? Don't see a point of what Japan has.

NATO said:

A day one edition with Titanfall on the box? Damn. Must be the special time travelers edition.

cmay227 said:
GProgrammer said:

Yes you can return as many as were purchased. Can't deny a return because a person purchased a bunch of them. Don't lose money if you sell them for MSRP. Nobody is losing money the first 60 days after that you never know.

Better return them quick then as I just looked up gamestop's policy and they won't accept it if your console is older than a week from purchase

GProgrammer said:
cmay227 said:

Better return them quick then as I just looked up gamestop's policy and they won't accept it if your console is older than a week from purchase

Most scalpers don't purchase from GameStop. At least the smart ones don't. Big box retailers with a 30 to 60 day return policy. Idiots buy from GameStop. A person can't trash talk scalpers as people call them and in turn buy from GameStop. Gamestop screws the gamer to high holy hell.