By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - And the Scalpers Are OUT!!!!!

Scalping is...

Good. 11 16.42%

Not good. 20 29.85%

Xbox teh FourKay 13 19.40%

Xbox is Doomed... 18 26.87%

Doomed...? 5 7.46%

Total:67
AlfredoTurkey said:
cmay227 said:

It's not preying. A product is offered at a price. You either buy it or you don't. People work hard for money and they have the right to spend it however they see fit. If someone pays over double for something that they want, who's to say that's wrong? They choose to spend that money. It's not like their calling people and badgering them to buy it.

When someone is desperate to buy a product that is sold out and you use said desperation to make money off of them... it's called taking advantage of people or, preying on them. There's semantics involved in this discussion, which is why I said I consider it ethically wrong. 

Seems to me that the person that spends the money for a luxury item and overpays is the problem. That person's priorities are screwed. They have issues. Taking advantage of someone in this manner is a stretch. It's not food, water or shelter. If a god damn video game system or some other non essential product. A persons stupidty or lack of common sense is not a reason to defend someone for over spending on something that is a want and not a need.

Around the Network

Scalping is generally a product of open markets (when demand exceeds available supply) and flaws in the provider's distribution system.

So in most cases when scalping is rampant, it's not unfair to blame the manufacturer for failing to produce enough to meet demand, although this may be due to factors out of their hands. The manufacturer is dependent upon supply channels and OEM providers who may fail to fulfill contracts on time.

So the only real time it's completely acceptable to fault the manufacturer, is in instances of artificially produced scarcity, which is a risk involved strategy to increase demand and ultimately increase sales if the consumer is swayed by such tactics. "Limited Edition" "Inaugural Edition" "First Edition" etc. are sales tactics that fall into this strategy.

So when it comes to scalpers, typically they are providing the service (yes, service) of distributing supply to underserved markets or individuals for a premium or finder's fee.

It's generally only unscrupulous when the scalper attempts to divert a significant portion of local supply in the interest of blocking the manufacturer's distribution plan to increase their reseller's fee.

It should go without saying that manufacturers can kick this practice in the head by simply providing more supply barring hiccups in manufacturing, OEM parts sourcing or even distribution (shipping).

Just, whyyyyy. I'm sure it won't be that hard to get one in stores...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Posted this in another thread. What if the sales on day one were just scalpers? They don't know the industry like we do. They just know something is coming out and they want to make a quick buck. Any one of us could have told them that a $500 consider that plays the same games as a readily available $250 console is not going to be the next SNES Classic.

cmay227 said:

If someone's willing to pay more, I'll gladly take their money. Not my fault they pay more. Scalpers are stupid? Really? Seizing a opportunity to make money is far from stupid. Profit is made in the first few weeks. If the market isn't there, then most of the times the consoles are return to the store. The newbies to selling hot products like this are the ones who usually lose money. 

I think people are mixing "scummy" up with "stupid."  They're only stupid if they can't sell. 

And yeah, capitalism something something.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network
cmay227 said:
GProgrammer said:

Better return them quick then as I just looked up gamestop's policy and they won't accept it if your console is older than a week from purchase

Most scalpers don't purchase from GameStop. At least the smart ones don't. Big box retailers with a 30 to 60 day return policy. Idiots buy from GameStop. A person can't trash talk scalpers as people call them and in turn buy from GameStop. Gamestop screws the gamer to high holy hell.

cmay227 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

When someone is desperate to buy a product that is sold out and you use said desperation to make money off of them... it's called taking advantage of people or, preying on them. There's semantics involved in this discussion, which is why I said I consider it ethically wrong. 

Seems to me that the person that spends the money for a luxury item and overpays is the problem. That person's priorities are screwed. They have issues. Taking advantage of someone in this manner is a stretch. It's not food, water or shelter. If a god damn video game system or some other non essential product. A persons stupidty or lack of common sense is not a reason to defend someone for over spending on something that is a want and not a need.

So how does Gamestop screw people over on a non-essential product when people are willing to pay or accept the amount being set by Gamestop.  Seems kind of like its ok for you being on the winning end but when you are on the losing end of the deal the other party is screwing you ... perhaps I'm wrong, please explain the difference in your mind.

It isn't even sold out. Yes, supplies are "limited", but it isn't a disaster. Like seriously, who would buy the Xbox One X for $200 over retail?

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

The_Yoda said:
cmay227 said:

Most scalpers don't purchase from GameStop. At least the smart ones don't. Big box retailers with a 30 to 60 day return policy. Idiots buy from GameStop. A person can't trash talk scalpers as people call them and in turn buy from GameStop. Gamestop screws the gamer to high holy hell.

cmay227 said:

So how does Gamestop screw people over on a non-essential product when people are willing to pay or accept the amount being set by Gamestop.  Seems kind of like its ok for you being on the winning end but when you are on the losing end of the deal the other party is screwing you ... perhaps I'm wrong, please explain the difference in your mind.

You can get more from other places then what GameStop gives for used games or consoles. As well as what they charge for a used game or console. We're talking used vs new here. There are many other choices then them who will give more. GameStop and scalpers are the same in how they sell a service or product. I understand how both work and don't buy from either. But to say its unethical is dumb. If people are stupid enough to spend the cash then that's their problem. No matter who they buy from. GameStop is a business, scalpers are opportunists who seizes a opportunity. I have a family member that works at GameStop corporate. The policy's they have are very anti consumer. It's a totally different conversation. Screwing the gamer was the wrong words to use. And this is not about me. 

John2290 said:
Ljink96 said:
Same thing happened with SNES Classic. Scalping stocked consoles is nothing new either. Scalpers are stupid.

No they are not stupid. The people who buy the products are stupid. ***You wouldn't call a wolf stupid for eating it's prey.

Let me rephrase. The scalpers who bought SNES Classics at 80 bucks and sold them for hundreds even thought it was well stocked are stupid.

ironmanDX said:

A day one edition with Titanfall on the box? Damn. Must be the special time travelers edition.

https://segmentnext.com/2014/06/17/xbox-one-launch-japan-special-day-one-edition/
Because when the Xbox One launched in Japan it did so with that bundle, perhaps?

And before someone says "xbox one x sold out in japan!!!!"
https://kotaku.com/the-reason-why-the-xbox-one-x-is-selling-out-in-japan-1820208004
Stores didn't actually stock any in their stores, and only shipped out units people preordered.

Last edited by NATO - on 10 November 2017