By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2017 NPD Thread! Switch #1

GribbleGrunger said:
Miyamotoo said:

Fact that Switch is in 4. month in a row best selling console in US, and thats best selling console in 6. from 8. months from launch, with huge stock problems, in best PS4 year until now, is very impresive.

Totally agree. I don't think this should ever be overlooked. 

Do you kno ps4/x1 yearly sales for the US for every year?

Around the Network
poklane said:

1. Middle-earth: Shadow of War
2. Assassin’s Creed: Origins
3. Super Mario Odyssey**
4. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
5. NBA 2K18
6. FIFA 18
7. WWE 2K18
8. Madden NFL 18
9. Destiny 2*
10. Forza Motorsport 7
11. Gran Turismo Sport
12. Grand Theft Auto V
13. The Evil Within 2**
14. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus**
15. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
16. Mario Kart 8**
17. Fire Emblem: Warriors**
18. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
19. NHL 18
20. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege

The best-selling games of 2017 so far

1. Destiny 2*
2. NBA 2K18
3. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
4. Madden NFL 18
5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
6. Grand Theft Auto V
7. For Honor
8. Horizon Zero Dawn
9. Injustice 2
10. Mario Kart 8

The best-selling games over the last 12 months

1. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
2. Destiny 2*
3. Battlefield 1
4. Grand Theft Auto V
5. NBA 2K18
6. NBA 2K17
7. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
8. Madden NFL 18
9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
10. Final Fantasy XV

* No Battle.net sales
** No digital sales

https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/16/october-2017-npd-middle-earth-shadow-of-war-emerges-with-the-one-ring-of-top-sales/

GTS bellow FM7, that makes me sad.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

UltimateGamer1982 said:
Like i said before, ps4’s time at the top is over. Nintendomination is in full effect. Ps4 had a good run but the switch has beat it most of this year. GtS even seems to have flopped and had no effect on hardware sales.

PS4 will continue selling well but it feels as if it’s days at the top are behind it. I’m genuinely shocked at the switch’s performance. I didn’t think anything could dethrone ps4.

You are comparing launch period of Switch (still hard to find) with its main games (Zelda, Mario Kart and now Mario) with the fourth period of PS4 and that only in US.

zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:
ps4 still the best selling console of the year.

Will be a close race to the end, here are the numbers through Sept based on previous leaks

PS4-2.49m

SW-2.32m

We know Switch won October which likely drops the PS4 lead to ~150k.

Nov/Dec are anyones guess, Switch still sells about as fast as Nintendo can ship them and Amazon has it comfortably ahead so far this month but the $199 PS4 deal on Black Friday is def gonna move some units.

Could go either way at this point but i bet it will be close, will be an interesting holiday for sure!

This will be a close finish unless Nov+Dec have a major swing to Nintendo usual holiday boost or if Sony holiday pricedrop can make wave.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

globalisateur said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:
Like i said before, ps4’s time at the top is over. Nintendomination is in full effect. Ps4 had a good run but the switch has beat it most of this year. GtS even seems to have flopped and had no effect on hardware sales.

PS4 will continue selling well but it feels as if it’s days at the top are behind it. I’m genuinely shocked at the switch’s performance. I didn’t think anything could dethrone ps4.

You are comparing launch period of Switch (still hard to find) with its main games (Zelda, Mario Kart and now Mario) with the fourth period of PS4 and that only in US.

The issue is that this is the best year of PS4 ever... so if he was comparing to PS4 first year this would make the difference more in favor of Switch.

Zekkyou said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

I think you've overestimated the PS4's position in the US. It's only a moderate amount ahead of the X1, and its victories have in large part been because of decline from its competition. It's sold well, but unless it has some amazing legs it's likley going to end up behind not only NA's 7th gen leader, but all the way at 4th (it's currently at 22m on VGC, and needs to hit 45m to hit 3rd place).

PS4 is doing good numbers, but comparing to last gen we have PS4 and X1 doing good instead of only X360 doing great. But you are right, it will be kinda hard for PS4 to cross the 40M on USA alone. And if switch keep doing these good numbers on the gen end we may have PS4, X1 and Switch closer than any 3 consoles have ever been in USA.

Around the Network
UltimateGamer1982 said:

Perhaps. In any case, switch seems to have North America in the bag for the foreseeable future. Although Xbox should comfortably take November due to X. December is a toss up. 

I wouldn't be so sure. It has a 500 bucks price tag and Sony will have the 1TB PS4 Slim for 199 during Black Friday, that could be a massive hit.

torok said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

Perhaps. In any case, switch seems to have North America in the bag for the foreseeable future. Although Xbox should comfortably take November due to X. December is a toss up. 

I wouldn't be so sure. It has a 500 bucks price tag and Sony will have the 1TB PS4 Slim for 199 during Black Friday, that could be a massive hit.

Gamestop will also be selling the Pro for $349 starting on Thanksgiving.

Aura7541 said:

Gamestop will also be selling the Pro for $349 starting on Thanksgiving.

I think it could be an issue for X1X. But I'm not really convinced that these upgraded units will increase the user base. They seem more fit to early adopters that have consoles since launch and would be at risk of getting bored. So they double dip. Probably after the gen ends, the base models will be showing too much their age and the price cuts will make the pro versions seem more attractive.

For now, I believe the big fight is X1S vs PS4 Slim. I'm not sure if Switch fights for sales with them or if it is appealing to an entirely different demography. Since PS4 sales haven't fallen from a cliff and those millions of Switch consumers have to come from somewhere, I guess the second scenario is most likely. I also wonder if we don't have a lot of double owners, PS4/X1 gamers also getting a Switch.

I guess total hardware is around 1.2 million with 400k Switch, 300k SNES Mini, 300k PS4, 100k One and 100k 3DS.

UltimateGamer1982 said:

same will happen when PS5 releases more than halfway into the Switch's life. Super popular consoles releasing that far apart, bound to happen