By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp will be a hit outside of the AC fanbase?

Seeing as Animal Crossing is pretty popular as far as sales go, and the franchise seems to do best on Nintendo handhelds, then I couldn't see why a free app on a mobile device wouldn't also be a huge hit.  However, does it have the potential to reach across the aisle and bring in new Animal Crossing fans? 

Around the Network

PGO was a hit with people outside of the fanbase so I can see the same here.

Ka-pi96 said:
Wyrdness said:

Was it though? It may have been a hit with people outside of the current Pokemon fanbase, but I expect a large chunk, if not all of them, were a part of the fanbase at some point. Nostalgia was a big part of what made Pokemon Go such a huge success. There's a tonne of people out there who fondly remember gen 1 Pokemon.

As for Animal Crossing, I think that really depends on how it's initially received. A good reception and good word of mouth give it a very good chance of people outside the fanbase going for it as well. If it fails at those things, then it's probably going to have to rely on the existing AC fanbase.

I'll say yes as it increased both 3DS and Pokemon sales, a large chunk can also be any kind of percentage fact is PGO had a tonne of people across the world on it and it impacted hardware and software sales.

Wyrdness said:

I don't think PoGo is the best comparison; the game's use of Augmented Reality + the Social Aspect of the game itself really made it a one-of-a-kind experience.  Plus Pokemon is extremely popular, much more so than Animal Crossing.

I think a better comparison might be Farmville maybe?

I find that AC as a game series is to widely popular anyways, putting it on mobile just allows it to be accessible by all those people. I imagine some people who have not played an AC game before though would naturally gravitate towards it though!

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Wyrdness said:

Was it though? It may have been a hit with people outside of the current Pokemon fanbase, but I expect a large chunk, if not all of them, were a part of the fanbase at some point. Nostalgia was a big part of what made Pokemon Go such a huge success. There's a tonne of people out there who fondly remember gen 1 Pokemon.

As for Animal Crossing, I think that really depends on how it's initially received. A good reception and good word of mouth give it a very good chance of people outside the fanbase going for it as well. If it fails at those things, then it's probably going to have to rely on the existing AC fanbase.

I think it was the nostalgic fans who pushed the game the most via social media, memes, organizing events, etc., but with over 650 million downloads I'm sure many PoGo-ers were new to the brand.

Ka-pi96 said:
Wyrdness said:

Pokemon Go was being played by hundreds of millions of people around the world, well over the number of people who have played the core games. As some anecdotal evidence, pretty much everyone at my place of work played Pokemon Go a lot during its first summer. I don’t think anyone there had ever played a Pokemon game before.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

cosmic_drift said:
Wyrdness said:

I don't think PoGo is the best comparison; the game's use of Augmented Reality + the Social Aspect of the game itself really made it a one-of-a-kind experience.  Plus Pokemon is extremely popular, much more so than Animal Crossing.

I think a better comparison might be Farmville maybe?

Good point I'm not familiar with Farmville's performance though pretty sure that's always been available to the same crowd who play on mobile.

Ka-pi96 said:
Wyrdness said:

Pokémon Go had over 752 million downloads... that's more than double the amount every Pokémon game ever made combined has sold.

How was it not a hit to people outside of the Pokémon fanbase as a whole!?

Ka-pi96 said:
Jumpin said:

Pokemon Go was being played by hundreds of millions of people around the world, well over the number of people who have played the core games. As some anecdotal evidence, pretty much everyone at my place of work played Pokemon Go a lot during its first summer. I don’t think anyone there had ever played a Pokemon game before.

As some more anecdotal evidence, I was a kid while Pokemon was at its prime and literally every kid I knew then liked Pokemon. I don't think the sales of the games give the full picture of how popular it was. People didn't need to buy them to enjoy the anime or the trading card game.

This. I'm sure Pokémon Go also captured much entirely new audience, but calling only those that had played Pokémon games earlier Pokémon fans is just wrong. There were definitely fans that never got to play the 'proper' games.