By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How do you pronounce NES/SNES?

How do you pronounce NES/SNES?

As words 89 47.34%

As letters 99 52.66%

Total:188
Barkley said:
Mandalore76 said:

I always pronounce the letters.  It's what you're supposed to do when abbreviating a title with the first letter of each word as in the case of Nintendo Entertainment System.  I have heard people on YouTube and such say Ness, Sness, and even the more oddly sounding Snezz, which I guess they think sounds jazzier?  But, does anyone pronounce I B M as ihbim (or something along those lines?).  Or AT&T as ahtint?  I've also never heard the PS4 pronounced Pzzfore.  So, it doesn't really seem logical to me.

Nes and Snes are single syllable words as opposed to there 3-4 syllable acronyms. That's why it makes sense.

There's quite a few examples, Kotor is pronounced as a word though it's an abbreviation of Knights of the Old Republic.

Dota is pronounced as a word, even though it's an abbreviation of Dawn of the Ancients.

WoW is pronounced as a word, (World of Warcraft)

If it sounds ok, and it's easier to say then it will be used.

NATO is a non-gaming example.

Ka-pi96 said:
Barkley said:

Nes and Snes are single syllable words as opposed to there 3-4 syllable acronyms. That's why it makes sense.

There's quite a few examples, Kotor is pronounced as a word though it's an abbreviation of Knights of the Old Republic.

Dota is pronounced as a word, even though it's an abbreviation of Dawn of the Ancients.

WoW is pronounced as a word, (World of Warcraft)

If it sounds ok, and it's easier to say then it will be used.

Agree with this. If pronouncing it as a word is straightforward then I'd always do that rather than waste time pronouncing each individual letter. It's only when they lack vowels and thus are difficult to try and pronounce that I'd go for letters.

guiduc said:
Mandalore76 said:

I always pronounce the letters.  It's what you're supposed to do when abbreviating a title with the first letter of each word as in the case of Nintendo Entertainment System.  I have heard people on YouTube and such say Ness, Sness, and even the more oddly sounding Snezz, which I guess they think sounds jazzier?  But, does anyone pronounce I B M as ihbim (or something along those lines?).  Or AT&T as ahtint?  I've also never heard the PS4 pronounced Pzzfore.  So, it doesn't really seem logical to me.

I live in Quebec and it's not always the case! I could even go as far as telling you that some organizations do it on purpose so you can pronounce it as a full word, even though it is an abbreviation.

In France, the Syndicat des éditeurs de logiciels de loisirs, which promotes video games and players to politics, institutions and media, is abbreviated SELL. We pronounce it as is, ''sell''. 

In Quebec, AQTIS, which is the regroupment for all technicians of image and sound, is straightly said as ''A-k-ti-ss''. On the other hand, the regroupment for actors UDA is spelled with letters ''You-Dee-A''. 

So we say Ness for NES and Super Nintendo for SNES. 

True.  Good points by all.  I guess it's more odd to me, because I mostly avoid using abbreviations both when talking and typing unless they are extremely commonplace.  When I hear NESS and SNESS (or SNEZZ), I do know what people are referring to.  But if someone asked me if TWOK was one of my all-time favorite movies, I wouldn't instantly know they were talking about The Wrath of Khan.  I don't like to generally assume that everyone will recognize what I'm talking about when it comes to game or movie titles especially.  I'm the type of person who sees/hears abbreviations used for those things and then has to spend time either trying to figure out what the person is referring to, or flat out ask them.  Which then eliminates any time saved by not typing or saying a few extra letters/syllables.

Around the Network

I've always pronounced the words, I think it's the standard in Spain. I've never heard anyone saying N-E-S in my entire life. But when Internet came in and I heard English people talking about the NES, I heard a lot N-E-S so that was surprising for me.

neither, Nintendo and Super Nintendo

StreaK said:
SegataSanshiro said:
As letters. I hate HATE the monsters who pronounce it as a word.

Wow, call me crazy but I seriously thought EVERYONE pronounced it as letters. There are people who actually call it the Snes? Oh my god that just sounds so wrong to me.

Why? Nes, Snes, Cube, Wii, Switch... one syllabele is good enough for most Nintendo home consoles.

Always as words, anyone voting letters I really hope they don't pronounce SNES as Ess Enn Eee Ess as that is weird.

Around the Network

In English, as letters.
In my native language (Portuguese) as words

In french :

La NESS, La SNESS !

The only right way of saying those...

The only thing more cringy than hearing someone pronounce NES as a word is hearing them pronounce SNES as a word.

Both

Younger me was letters only
Now it's pronounced out as Nes and the Super Nes