By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [Satire] Jim Sterling Gives Mario Odyssey A.......... 7!

Is Mario Odyssey a 7?

Yes 95 28.96%

No 71 21.65%

Jim sucks 162 49.39%

Total:328
Ka-pi96 said:
HoloDust said:

I'm not sure how it's handled on Metacritic, but I (mostly) see this as what star system translates into:

no star = 00-05; ½ = 06-15; ★ = 16-25; ★½ = 26-35; ★★ = 36-45; ★★½ = 46-55; ★★★ = 56-65; ★★★½ = 66-75; ★★★★ = 76-85; ★★★★½ = 86-95; ★★★★★ = 96-100

Alternatively:

no star = 00-04; ½ = 05-14; ★ = 15-24; ★½ = 25-34; ★★ = 35-44; ★★½ = 45-54; ★★★ = 55-64; ★★★½ = 65-74; ★★★★ = 75-84; ★★★★½ = 85-94; ★★★★★ = 95-100

As a P&C adventure fan, I frequent Adventuregamers.com since late 90s and they use 5 star system - when I see ★★★½ that is definitely something that is on my radar, and often I'll play ★★★ - sometimes I'll even try out ★★½ game. So, at least in my head, 5 star system is much more balanced than 0-10 or 00-100.

But... that is 0-10?

If you're using half stars as well then there's exactly 10 different ratings it could receive, the exact same as in a numbered 0-10.

Not really - it's 0-5 with halfsteps. In the sense that 3.5 is still 3, but with that extra half. If you convert that to 0-10 it would not be 6 with extra 1, but 7 - not sure if I'm making sense here. For me, i.e. 0-5 star system always implied that if something is, say, 3.8, it will be rated as 4 - so there is sort of a range in star system - 4 star game would translate into 75-84 range, which I like more then "this game is 80/100".

Personal preference really.

Around the Network

The debate about rating systems has me seeing stars.

Ka-pi96 said:
HoloDust said:

Not really - it's 0-5 with halfsteps. In the sense that 3.5 is still 3, but with that extra half. If you convert that to 0-10 it would not be 6 with extra 1, but 7 - not sure if I'm making sense here. For me, i.e. 0-5 star system always implied that if something is, say, 3.8, it will be rated as 4 - so there is sort of a range in star system - 4 star game would translate into 75-84 range, which I like more then "this game is 80/100".

Personal preference really.

... what's the difference between 6+1 and 7?

And comparing it to 3.8 isn't really fair. If you're including decimals then it's really a 100 point rating system, rather than just a 10 point one. On another 10 point rating system (using numbers instead of stars) a 4 star game would just translate to a simple 8. No difference at all to just rating it an 8 on numbered 0-10 scale. If you're comparing it to a 100 point scale then obviously it's different and less precise (hence why you can see it translating as a range of figures). I can see why some people may prefer a less precise system, but it's still just as precise as the standard 0-10 with no decimals.

Just like I said, 7 is a 7, not 6 with an extra 1.

3 and a half stars is still 3 and that extra half - it's not quite as good to be 4, but it's better than 3 - I hope you're getting what I'm saying.

Like I said, matter of perception, for me seeing something as 3 and half stars is much better than 7/10 and 70/100.

Anyway, it's not really that important in the end what system is used, if reviewers start misusing it - even Adventuregamers I mentioned earlier, which is probably best review site for P&C adventures, have started giving high scores left and right in past few years devaluating the whole scale.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
hudsoniscool said:
Really man giving a game a 7/10 is shockingly stupid. might as well get rid of 1-5.
Call 6 horrible
7- bad
8- ok
It's idiotic the way games are rated. A 5-6 should be ok. 7 good, 8 really good, 9 amazing, 10 GOTY.

NO JIM IS A FUCKING LOSER FUCK BECAUSE HE DIDN''T GIVE IT A 8/10 LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING SAY YOUR WIFE SAYS SHE WANTS TO GET MARRIED AT A CHURCH'S NOT EVEN A KFC OR A POPEYES BUT A CHURCHES AND YOU LLOOK UP CHURCHS ON IMDB AND IT

'

S A 7/10 YOU TELL ME YOU'RE GOING TO GO OUT, PUT UNDERWEAR, PUT ON SHORTS, PUT ON A TUEXEDO, JUST TO GO TO SOME 7/10 STORE???? NO 

IF THERE'S ANYTHING SCHOOL HAS TAUGHT ME IT'S THAT A C ISS NOT A GOOD SCORE

Uhhh, 6/10 is a C. 7/10 = B. It's actually ok/good.

Ka-pi96 said:
StreaK said:

Uhhh, 6/10 is a C. 7/10 = B. It's actually ok/good.

heh, you Americans. To us Brits a 4/10 would be the equivalent of a C. Why don't ya learn how to use the whole scale already?

So in the UK, a 7/10 isn't a dumpster-fire of a score?  Well, that explains a lot about what happened. With Jim here.  Us Americans have had it beaten into our heads and asses that 7/10 is something to avoid at all costs, depending on how strict the parents are.

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
irstupid said:
This just basically cements in that he gave Zelda a 7 for views.

I mean he has now made what "two" click bait videos on Mario Odyssey for giving it a 7. A fake 7, but still two whole videos basically just to rile up views and controversy.

How exactly are they clickbait? He covers all games in similar manner, and called SMO one of the best games of the year in the video. The 7 was just a joke on the fake review someone posted on twitter earlier, and the fact that people are taking this so seriously is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that if the 7 was a clickbait, it should have been a part of the title of the thumbnail. 

Do you like his new Sonic Forces title?

Keep telling yourself he was not giving Zelda a 7 for views/controversy sake.

irstupid said:
Darashiva said:

How exactly are they clickbait? He covers all games in similar manner, and called SMO one of the best games of the year in the video. The 7 was just a joke on the fake review someone posted on twitter earlier, and the fact that people are taking this so seriously is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that if the 7 was a clickbait, it should have been a part of the title of the thumbnail. 

Yeah, I actually do. It just shows how easy some people are to rile up. I take the title as what it is, a joke, and nothing more. 

irstupid said:
Darashiva said:

He's making that title to rile up the already riled up Zelda fans cause why not. That wasn't his intention when reviewed Zelda, but he is the kind of person who will make you more upset if you get upset for no good reason at all.

I think his Zelda review was spot on. Its a good game but that's it. Not worthy of much praise.

Why are we arguing about scores lol. The guy from what I can understand sounds like he is from the UK.

Each country, university, organisation etc.. have their own scoring system. Things need to be put into context. That is why those metric sites are pointless as they use numbers and people across the global will rate things differently.

EXAMPLES:

ONE SYSTEM

Grade definition
Key code
Mark range
Grade point value

High distinction
HD
80–100

Distinction
DI
70–79

Credit
CR
60–69

Pass
PA
50–59

SECOND ONE:

Letter Grade
Percent Grade
4.0 Scale

A+
97-100

A
93-96

A-
90-92

B+
87-89

B
83-86

B-
80-82

C+
77-79

C
73-76

C-
70-72

THIRD ONE:

Code Description Explanation
PP Pass Pass grade (50-59%)
CR Credit Pass with Credit (60-69%)
DN Distinction Pass with Distinction (70-79%)
HD High Distinction Pass with High Distinction (80-100%)

FOURTH ONE:

Grading scale
We grade assessment on a 7-point scale:
7 - High Distinction: 85-100%
6 - Distinction: 75-84%
5 - Credit: 65-74%
4 - Pass: 50-64%
3 - Fail: 47-49%
2 - Fail: 25-46%
1 - Low Fail: 1-24%

Sterling upsetting the internet again, even if I don't agree with his score, it's always fun to see how one man's opinion and/or statements can send the web flying off the handle. It wasn't even that long ago that he did the exact same thing on the same platform.