By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Today I suddenly left my train to work

Better safe then sorry mate, and yeah I live in germany too and well, there has been a few attacks carried out lately. Stay safe out there

Around the Network

I'd do the same and my girlfriend is black.

Although I'm pretty sure she wouldn't approve if I did it.

Eh...

Kind of weird, but in some way understandable.

I wouldn't really do it myself, but summer last year when I was done with a big walking event here in the Netherlands my mother came to pick me up by train. Being extremely tired all I wanted was to go bed and sleep for a day. So we got on the train, well, I stumbled onto the train, which was quite crowded, when my mother got all shaky because of some Arab looking man, who was alone, was looking around nervously, quietly spoke some words while holding a big plastic bag. She then dragged me off the train again first chance she got saying "We gotta get out!".

I was annoyed, I just wanted to go home and I was so tired and couldn't care less about anything or anyone in the world at the moment and if the guy really was a terrorist I probably would've said "F* you, I'm tired and not in the mood, let me sleep." To be fair, in hindsight this event and the timing last year did make it a prime candidate to be attacked by some nutjob.

Back to you, if they were just ticket people, wouldn't they have had a uniform? Here they always have uniforms.

Maybe they were muggers. And you saved yourself from being mugged.

Or they were just regular people. No-one will ever know...

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 06 November 2017

I mean, it does seems kinda racist. I can't completely judge because I haven't had a major terror attack where I live (I also just drive my own car), so I can't say how I'd react while using trains or other easy attack targets.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

Kind of weird, but in some way understandable.

I wouldn't really do it myself, but summer last year when I was done with a big walking event here in the Netherlands my mother came to pick me up by train. Being extremely tired all I wanted was to go bed and sleep for a day. So we got on the train, well, I stumbled onto the train, which was quite crowded, when my mother got all shaky because of some Arab looking man, who was alone, was looking around nervously, quietly spoke some words while holding a big plastic bag. She then dragged me off the train again first chance she got saying "We gotta get out!".

I was annoyed, I just wanted to go home and I was so tired and couldn't care less about anything or anyone in the world at the moment and if the guy really was a terrorist I probably would've said "F* you, I'm tired and not in the mood, let me sleep." To be fair, in hindsight this event and the timing last year did make it a prime candidate to be attacked by some nutjob.

Back to you, if they were just ticket people, wouldn't they have had a uniform? Here they always have uniforms.

Maybe they were muggers. And you saved yourself from being mugged.

Or they were just regular people. No-one will ever know...

Nope not in Berlin.
They look like casual people. You can spot them though as one of them will always wear a fanny pack/bum bag. They are usually pretty muscular too.

barneystinson69 said:
vivster said:

Let's say them being black drew my attention more than usual. Middle eastern men would've probably had a similar draw but not as strong since Turkish people are very common in Berlin.

I went through the east part where they're quite rare. It's mostly eastern European and Asians here.

I would have noticed the odd behavior but I most likely wouldn't have assumed anything bad. If they had been white I'd instantly assume they're just ticket inspectors. Which makes the thing interesting because being unassuming of white people who behave out of the ordinary could cost me my life too. I had just never seen a group of 3 black people as ticket inspectors, which in retrospect they probably have been.

XD, this is just too funny. I have traveled to Germany twice, and I've seen maybe one black person in my time there, while probably having crossed hundreds of middle easterns and Asians, so I could understand why they seem a bit alien (there aren't a lot of blacks in Canada, but enough that you you usually see at least a few throughout the day in a city like mine. Anyway, bit of an awkward story to wake up too, but I'll take it.

I can't blame Vivster for his thoughts, as I used to feel the same towards white people. No one should be blamed for ideas they cannot control.

monocle_layton said:
barneystinson69 said:

XD, this is just too funny. I have traveled to Germany twice, and I've seen maybe one black person in my time there, while probably having crossed hundreds of middle easterns and Asians, so I could understand why they seem a bit alien (there aren't a lot of blacks in Canada, but enough that you you usually see at least a few throughout the day in a city like mine. Anyway, bit of an awkward story to wake up too, but I'll take it.

I can't blame Vivster for his thoughts, as I used to feel the same towards white people. No one should be blamed for ideas they cannot control.

So wait, where exactly did you grow up? You said you are of Arab descent and you currently live in the US, so did you grow up in the ME or in America? I'm not trying to offend, I'm just genuinely curious since you brought up your feelings of whites when you were younger.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).