By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do you support the death penalty?

What about you?

Yes 119 36.73%

No 128 39.51%

I have to explain (please make a post) 11 3.40%

No, and I also oppose corporal punishment 38 11.73%

See results 28 8.64%

Total:324
Pemalite said:
Leadified said:

However this chart shows that the homicide rate has been increasing since the 1950s so perhaps it does not work as a deterrent.

Actually. What that chart is telling us is that it peaked at 1975 and has been in decline. Which is around the time Canada abolished capital punishment. - Which the quote I posted alludes to.

So essentially you have agreed with me and reinforced my argument with more evidence. Thank you.

You're ignoring the 1967 moratorium which limited capital punishment to murder of police officiers.

Around the Network

No. it serves no good purpose and is hypocritical to have in societies that condemn murder.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Absolutely for it. That's no to say I agree with the way it's often exercised, or how liberal (and eager even) many people/places are in seeking the death penalty.....but there are simply certain acts, and certain individuals, which are so abhorrent, that death is not only warranted, but frankly, the only fitting example to set for society that properly demonstrates how wholly unacceptable, disgusting, and harmful such an act/individual is.

Leadified said:
Pemalite said:

Actually. What that chart is telling us is that it peaked at 1975 and has been in decline. Which is around the time Canada abolished capital punishment. - Which the quote I posted alludes to.

So essentially you have agreed with me and reinforced my argument with more evidence. Thank you.

You're ignoring the 1967 moratorium which limited capital punishment to murder of police officiers.

But it didn't increase from that point to today. I didn't ignore it. There is a general downward trend since the mid 70's.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Ka-pi96 said:
Jumpin said:
No. it serves no good purpose and is hypocritical to have in societies that condemn murder.

Is it though? Murder and executions aren't the same thing. Neither are murder and killing, and there's very little condemnation of killing. People aren't punished for killing in self-defence (or if they're a cop in some countries...). There's certainly no condemnation towards those whose job it is to kill (soldiers), if anything they are glorified rather than condemned.

It depends what you are talking about. If you are killing enemy combatants or killing civilians. If you are killing in self-defense where it is necessary to do so for your survival or another, or if you are using excessive force to kill. If someone is already imprisoned, they are no longer a threat and therefore there is absolutely no necessity to kill them. Murder is a form of execution, the only distinguishing factor is that it occassionally has different judgment criteria.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Is it though? Murder and executions aren't the same thing. Neither are murder and killing, and there's very little condemnation of killing. People aren't punished for killing in self-defence (or if they're a cop in some countries...). There's certainly no condemnation towards those whose job it is to kill (soldiers), if anything they are glorified rather than condemned.

Murder, killing, execution value the same thing; ending a life. The only way to see the difference is if you apply definition to those terms. Communicability doesn't erase the end result which in this case is ending a life.

Ka-pi96 said:
Harkins1721 said:

Sorry I meant people that kill more than once. And mass murders or mass shootings. It would suck for someone who got convicted but was innocent and they were killed because of it. So as terrible as it sounds id want that "well this is the 2nd time hes been convicted. He must be a killer" 

What if it's the first time, but there was no doubt whatsoever about their guilt? For example if there was video evidence of it?

Oh then that shows guilt. So fry em.

I do not believe in punitive justice.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

VGPolyglot said:

Well, I was presented a thread on ResetEra that asked this exact question, so I decided to ask you guys here!! I am opposed to the death penalty myself. Actually, I'd go further than that, and even say that I'm against corporal punishment. Violence should be used as defense or to end a threat, not as punishment after the fact.

Definitely not fir corporal punishment of any kind, death, I guess, could make sense in the context that it could be seen as an act of mercy to the convict, if it's evident that reintegration would be impossible (I would view this similarly to anasthesia) but I feel that there would be abuse of it, if such legislation were to pass.

I guess, you could say that I am perhaps in support of the death penalty with approval of the convict.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Ka-pi96 said:
Puppyroach said:
If I didn´t think we should have a just and fair society, I would likely be for the death penatly. But since I believe everyone deserves to be equally judged and aquitted if they are found guilty (even if years have passed since the original sentence) I am against the death penalty.

I hope you mean if they are found not guilty?

Yup, sorry about that =).