By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Xenoblade Chronicles Series Thread: Definitive Edition (All Spoilers in Tags)

Mar1217 said:
Ok. I think we could bring the birth of a new term here. How about we call it a "selective remake" ?

:P

Remakester? 

God, it sounds awful xD

Around the Network
Shiken said:
Hynad said:

I did point out they redid the faces and hands. The rest of the character models, nope. They retained their exact same "blockiness" from the original, with cleaned out and/or improved texturing.

The maker of the game says it is a remaster. Says that by that nature of being one, it brought constraints. No amount of arguing and denial from you or anybody else here will disprove him. 

The director may have his own definition of what a remaster or remake is.  That does not mean it is right.  Not to mention you are going off of a translation which has proven in the past to not be 100% accurate.  In either case, his word is not absolute.

I am going off of what the game is, mostly remade on a large scale.  But if your definition of a remake differs, I guess we will have to agree to disagree as I cannot say you are wrong anymore than you can say I am.  To me, when most of the game is new assets and remade it is a remake.  To you, any form of code remaining from the original makes it a remaster.  There is no real definition out there as to which interpretation is correct, so all we can do is respectfully bow out of the conversation.  We will only talk circles at this point, and that gets us nowhere.

You keep saying most of it was remade, but that’s simply not true. 

Takahashi: Unsurprisingly, productions costs and development time are a limitation. There was no way to recreate everything from scratch. Therefore, we first decided what we would create anew and not. In particular, weapons and equipment, enemies and map models, among other assets, were limited to texture updates and there were texture upgrades for shaders, the faces and hands of player and key characters, and new equipment and the Monado. We recreated cutscenes and facial animations for scripted scenes.

Although a line was drawn, staff showed their commitment to the project, and assets such as enemies and map models that had not initially been planned to be upgraded received upgrades here and there. Although these updates aren’t built from scratch, it would be nice if you could tell the difference.

And I would expect the director of the game to know what the heck the nature of his project is.

Only comment about the map. Xenoblade isn't an open-world game. X is but most of that games map is the ocean and has a lot of bare spaces. The other 2 games are not. They are regional. Only one region is loaded in at a time. BOTW is a more complex game. It's all loaded at once tho most of it is in low poly model. The physics engine is very complex but BOTW does have a lot of open space and things are spread further apart esp enemies. Xenoblade while it only loads 1 region at a time. A lot is on screen at once. Enemies, structures, and the Titans in 2 move. In Xenoblade 1 the 2 gods are partially modeled at all times. The giant sword is as well. Xenoblade 1/2 is denser.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Vodacixi said:

Could someone please tell this guy that he's wrong in most of what he said? He just won't listen... 

Enemy numbers are objective, size of the game world is objective, more active assets requiring more work from CPU/GPU is objective even the example with RE3 is objective and can be looked ups. Only point you have is the seamless open world but that doesn't equate to doing more at once overall.

Edit: To further clarify I even like BOTW more than other games, BOTW has more complex interactions yes but its approach is not to focus on loads of things happening at once it's so that at any moment the player may use such interactions to play around with the current situations or customize their experience playing through for instance building an airship which is why things like enemies are more spread apart and it doesn't hinder the game as it focuses on how you deal with the situation when it comes. XBC is more dense in what's on screen and as we saw with RE3R increasing Zombie numbers that impacts work load even though RE2 is more complex, it's hard to say BOTW is doing more when at most you may be dealing with like 10 or so enemies at once while another has like 60 enemies running around. We'll meet in the middle and say the games are even.

Maybe BOTW2 being built for the NS from the ground up can match XBC's number of assets managed better who knows in that case I'd agree that that particular game is doing more.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 25 May 2020

RolStoppable said:
Nautilus said:

I also will enjoy it.I just think that, being on a "hardcore" forum, we should call the game by what it is. Kinda maakes the communication easier.

It's a Definitive Edition.

Hyrule Warriors = remaster
Xenoblade Chronicles = remake

I know that. That's what I have been trying to say to him.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

For some reason Monolith just can't seem to make the Switch hardware sing the way they did with Wii and Wii U.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and X defied preconceptions of what their hardware was capable of with their impressive, system-pushing worlds, yet Xenoblade 2 and now Xenoblade Definitive Edition are graphically mediocre by Switch standards.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say that both Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade Definitive have been pumped out in a rather short amount of time, whereas the first two were both given several years and had to be pushed back. Those first two games were both developed with the idea they could showcase the extent of their respective systems, whereas these last two have been pushed out quickly to help fill Switch's release schedule, along with re-establishing the Xenoblade brand.

There's reason to be more hopeful about the new game being developed by Monolith, which is getting a lot more time and attention put into it.

I never had a problem with the quality of Xenoblade 2 anyway. Getting a re-release of the original at that performance quality if not better is still a dream come true for me.

Shaunodon said:
curl-6 said:

For some reason Monolith just can't seem to make the Switch hardware sing the way they did with Wii and Wii U.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and X defied preconceptions of what their hardware was capable of with their impressive, system-pushing worlds, yet Xenoblade 2 and now Xenoblade Definitive Edition are graphically mediocre by Switch standards.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say that both Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade Definitive have been pumped out in a rather short amount of time, whereas the first two were both given several years and had to be pushed back. Those first two games were both developed with the idea they could showcase the extent of their respective systems, whereas these last two have been pushed out quickly to help fill Switch's release schedule, along with re-establishing the Xenoblade brand.

There's reason to be more hopeful about the new game being developed by Monolith, which is getting a lot more time and attention put into it.

I never had a problem with the quality of Xenoblade 2 anyway. Getting a re-release of the original at that performance quality if not better is still a dream come true for me.

Yeah that is a fair point; we know both were developed in a rather short timeframe compared to the original and X.

I do hope their new game is a system showcase the way the latter two were.

Can't people just enjoy a game anymore?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Wyrdness said:
Vodacixi said:

Could someone please tell this guy that he's wrong in most of what he said? He just won't listen... 

Enemy numbers are objective, size of the game world is objective, more active assets requiring more work from CPU/GPU is objective even the example with RE3 is objective and can be looked ups. Only point you have is the seamless open world but that doesn't equate to doing more at once overall.

Edit: To further clarify I even like BOTW more than other games, BOTW has more complex interactions yes but its approach is not to focus on loads of things happening at once it's so that at any moment the player may use such interactions to play around with the current situations or customize their experience playing through for instance building an airship which is why things like enemies are more spread apart and it doesn't hinder the game as it focuses on how you deal with the situation when it comes. XBC is more dense in what's on screen and as we saw with RE3R increasing Zombie numbers that impacts work load even though RE2 is more complex, it's hard to say BOTW is doing more when at most you may be dealing with like 10 or so enemies at once while another has like 60 enemies running around. We'll meet in the middle and say the games are even.

Maybe BOTW2 being built for the NS from the ground up can match XBC's number of assets managed better who knows in that case I'd agree that that particular game is doing more.

Sigh... the guy above you explained it again. BotW world is fully loaded all the time (obviously far away places are loaded in a more simplified state). Xenoblade Chronicles is a set of different maps, all of which are significantly smaller (individually) than BotW. The game only loads the map you are in are the moment, so from size alone, BotW is putting more stress to the console than XC/XC2 could ever hope to do.

But it's not just about the size of the world the console needs to move. XC and XC2 have very, VERY simplistic logic for their worlds. Yes, the world is more populated by enemies, but besides that... everything else is "empty". Grass is static by your presence and cannot be altered, terrain is also static, water is mostly static even when you move through it, it's not possible for new assets to appear on screen like arrows or other items. You say those things don't impact performance, but they do. Xenoblade only has to take care of the world and its enemies. Meanwhile, Zelda has to take care of that, plus the wildlife and everything else that I said. I can get into a fight while setting a camp of grass on fire, moving metal boxes with a magnet and shooting arrows that will remain on the world with their own set of physics after they land. That's stressful, and the game still manages to perform a lot better than both Xenoblades.

And let's not even talk about pure visuals, because BotW is leagues above Xenoblade games in that regard. The particles and explosion effects alone are more demanding than any especial attack in any Xenoblade game. And those are just to things out of the overall visual presentation.

It doesn't matter how you put it. BotW is a more complex game on the Switch than both Xenoblades. Even if we agree that they are overall equals in terms of CPU/GPU stress, Zelda still runs at 900p-810p and 720p-640p while both Xeno games run at 720p-540p and 540p-368p. The difference is massive. It makes no sense whatsoever. Which was my whole point from the beginning: there comparable or even more demanding games on Switch running far better than Xenoblade.

Vodacixi said:

What he said backed my point more is rendered on screen in XBC enemies, structures, titans so your everything is empty claim is just wrong plus the assets are higher quality being more complex doesn't mean more is being done at once as we've seen with the RE remakes that's the main flaw in your argument the is a context to how something is being executed. Don't mistake art direction for visual load either as models, textures and such are higher quality than in BOTW.

I didn't say interactions don't impact performance in fact I never said that at all I said adding more assets has a significant impact on performance hence the example with RE the reason why the angle you're trying to argue is wonky is because even though those interactions are all possible they're not exactly always running and are exclusive to the immediate area where the player is the player can initiate them at anytime yes but they're not happening constantly or somewhere else on the map with out you while in XBC how ever everything in the area goes on with out the player's input. This is why the complexity angle is here and there in this situation.

On the environment BOTW's environment is less static yes but again the is less on screen at a time and the assets are lower quality plus it's a different approach, XBC for one will have more density on screen so more is rendered on screen and you have like 60-100 different enemies in the area to the point you can have more enemies in one encounter than in some areas in BOTW. The same way BOTW spreads things far apart and has open space to reduce resource use XBC can't have similar environmental interactions as the hardware have to calculate them not just for the player who has 2 party members with them compared to Link by himself but for all enemies rendered in the map it'll become problematic when the player engages enemies as then even more elements come into play.

It only doesn't make sense if you don't factor in one has significantly better assets and has far more on screen at once.