By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. November bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

GribbleGrunger said:
I'd like to point out that Sony won't cut the price of the PS4 based on the Amazon charts. I've been saying for the longest time now that Sony will cut the price of the PS4 this year (fiscal year), not because of some silly list and console 'race' but because it will be part of their ongoing strategy. People asked 'why' but now the PS4 is well behind in the Amazon charts, they're also calling for a price cut. That's a knee jerk reaction.

Sony have a target for the fiscal year. If that target is within grasp, regardless of whether they sell more or less than their competitors, they'll hold off cutting the price for as long as possible but that doesn't change the fact 'now is the time' for that price cut. It has NOTHING to do with the other consoles and everything to do with how Sony as a business works.

Stop thinking in the short term and start thinking in the long term. Start by considering what games Sony have coming next year and what bundles and deals Sony have for this year.

Relax.

Exactly, glad to see many people in this thread with logic. If Sony sell as much as they think they'll sell, they'll leave a longer term price drop to prop up slower running months when sales don't do as well. They'll do offers obviously because thats what the bottom tier product is now about but bundles are still their way of trying to push the price up, rather than doing the fire sale concept that MS have done over the years, which has just left the Xbox brand tainted and up until now the Xbox One doing rather poorly this year.

Sony don't need to react because of one months amazon charts (which to be fair they haven't been looking like they were doing that great for a few months, but were massively ahead of XBOX and only slightly behind Switch, so I don't think Amazon is showing the true picture at the moment, its a bit muddier than that.

I hope all do well this Christmas, but lets not do what happens every year and a few panic and say Sony need to drop the price. I hope they drop the price because I would like a 2nd Pro, but they've had a great year, and next year will also be fantastic.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

Wonder if retailers will soft drop the price of the WW2 and BF2 bundles to $250 on black friday or just drop all slim ps4s to $199. Would be amazing to see 3 ps4 bundles in the top 10 on the Amazon chart.

If Nintendo can make enough switches, it will crush the other consoles this christmas.

whatever said:
If Nintendo can make enough switches, it will crush the other consoles this christmas.

Absolutely. Imo, Switch in 2018 will likely have a double 2 million month in November/December, the only reason this won't be the case in 2017 is because Nintendo won't be able to ship that much.

ThisGuyFooks said:
To be honest, im honestly surprised that Sony wont be cutting the price of the PS4 PRO.

That was basically the most obvious strategy against the newly released Xbox One X.

This is interesting...

Yeah, idt anyone really gets it. It was such an obvious tactical option for them to take some of the wind out of XBO X’s sails at launch, pretty much everyone thought Sony would do it. The only reason I can think of that Sony didn’t is if they were unimpressed with XBO X’s preorder numbers. But XBO X seems to be doing quite well, so seems quite nonsensical on Sony’s part. 

Around the Network
whatever said:

I disagree, switch is readily in stock everywhere.... but I do not see it outselling the playstation 4 or matching it's sales in EUROPE. A $199 PS4 vs a $299 nintendo system in the U.S is also significant especially with all the games on the ps that you do not get on the switch.... 

also on another note, xbox one x sales are already dropping on amazon..... my suspicion is that the system will sell mainly to current xbox one hardcore guys vs the GP..... $499 is a lot for a system with 3rd party games in 4K. 

mM
leo-j said:
whatever said:

I disagree, switch is readily in stock everywhere.... but I do not see it outselling the playstation 4 or matching it's sales in EUROPE. A $199 PS4 vs a $299 nintendo system in the U.S is also significant especially with all the games on the ps that you do not get on the switch.... 

also on another note, xbox one x sales are already dropping on amazon..... my suspicion is that the system will sell mainly to current xbox one hardcore guys vs the GP..... $499 is a lot for a system with 3rd party games in 4K. 

You're in the Amazon USA topic here buddy. 

Also let Sony lose money by selling their PS4s at $200, Nintendo will make bank this holiday. 

PS4 has no remarkable holiday titles this year while the Switch has Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

And of course the XOX sales are dropping, it's sold out... 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
leo-j said:

Also let Sony lose money by selling their PS4s at $200, Nintendo will make bank this holiday. 

PS4 has no remarkable holiday titles this year while the Switch has Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

they won't lose much money selling it at 200, they are still making a lot by selling the system with PS PLUS and game software. 

I believe the ps4 is cheaper to make than the switch also

Also consider the ps4 has:

STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT 2

DESTINY 2

ASSASSINS CREED ORIGINS

A BETTER VERSION OF SKYRIM

A BETTER VERSION OF LA NOIRE

HORIZON ZERO DAWN RE LAUNCH WITH THE DLC 

GRAN TURISMO SPORT

PLAYSTATION VR

I can go on and on..... 

with deals on UNCHARTED, RESIDENT EVIL, KINGDOM HEARTS, HORIZON, CRASH BANDICOOT..... it makes the system an easy choice...... I;m not saying it's going to outsell or destroy the switch in sales world wide.... I'm simply stating I don't think the switch is going to dominate the ps4 this holiday season in the west. 

and no the XBOX ONE X is completely in stock on amazon, and everywhere else..... it has not sold out.... 

mM
leo-j said:
Alkibiádēs said:

they won't lose much money selling it at 200, they are still making a lot by selling the system with PS PLUS and game software. 

I believe the ps4 is cheaper to make than the switch also

Also consider the ps4 has:

STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT 2

DESTINY 2

ASSASSINS CREED ORIGINS

A BETTER VERSION OF SKYRIM

A BETTER VERSION OF LA NOIRE

HORIZON ZERO DAWN RE LAUNCH WITH THE DLC 

GRAN TURISMO SPORT

PLAYSTATION VR

I can go on and on..... 

with deals on UNCHARTED, RESIDENT EVIL, KINGDOM HEARTS, HORIZON, CRASH BANDICOOT..... it makes the system an easy choice...... I;m not saying it's going to outsell or destroy the switch in sales world wide.... I'm simply stating I don't think the switch is going to dominate the ps4 this holiday season in the west. 

and no the XBOX ONE X is completely in stock on amazon, and everywhere else..... it has not sold out.... 

The best console version of Skyrim is portable, so on the Switch. ;) If you're talking about Skyrim VR, it's actually a terrible version, so don't get your hopes up. Skyrim is best on the PC anyway, with all the available mods. 

Gran Turismo Sport? You mean the game that received mediocre reviews and bombed in Japan and didn't even chart in the USA?

Playstation  VR? Again, poor sales. 

Horizon: Zero Dawn re-launch with DLC? Zelda DLC is coming up as well and received better reviews and is selling better at full price than Horizon at $40.

A better version of LA Noire? Yeah, because that will really push any system this holiday... lol. Also the gyro controls to aim would actually make the Switch version vastly superior, I'm  not even taking into account the portability here. 

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (hurrah for pay to win loot-boxes!), Destiny 2 and Assassins Creed: Origins are just sequels to AAA games, those will hardly push any sales this holiday.

Switch will receive portable Skyrim, Rocket League, Rime, LA Noire, Resident Evil: Revelations Collection, Zelda new story DLC and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The games won't be the problem for the Switch, just the stock availability. 

And as you can see for yourself, Skyrim on Switch is tracking pretty well on Amazon. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

I'm so confused, is Nintendo shipping 14 or 18 million Switches the first fiscal year?