By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. November bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

jason1637 said:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/npd-october-2017-shadow-of-war-1-sw-nintendo-switch-1-hw.6580/page-39#post-1328534
Looks like PS4 is having shortages not only online buy at stores. Must really be selling like a God Church.

well the guy seems legit, but how can he have so much data? does npd even know how many consoles are selling by the day?

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
Insidb said:

Take your mouse, scroll to the top of the page, and read, "

Amazon U.S. November bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion"

You're the one telling people that their anecdotal evidence is rubbish here, stifling discussion in a thread based on anecdotal evidence.

Perhaps you should actually read what you copy and paste. Or is Nioh being on sale "anywhere" also somehow equally relevant? So hypocritical.. even after the fact.

An anecdote is a short account of an incidence. Amazon has hourly, monthly, and yearly rankings. A month and a year are not 'short' accounts by any means. Therefore, Amazon's rankings are not anecdotal evidence. Ultimately, the one who is stifling the discussion is you since you have incorrectly understood what an anecdote is.

quickrick said:
ironmanDX said:

Consoles almost never peak in their first year.

By your logic, no one bought a PS4 for Uncharted 4 because Nathan Drake collection existed. Comprising of a full 3 titles of said franchise. Does that sound like rubbish to you?

you can't compare ps4, because ps4 has the entire industry behind it. nintendo only has nintendo games selling there consoles, thats why there home consoles fail. except for wii.

LOL, of course not.

jason1637 said:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/npd-october-2017-shadow-of-war-1-sw-nintendo-switch-1-hw.6580/page-39#post-1328534
Looks like PS4 is having shortages not only online buy at stores. Must really be selling like a God Church.

Was just about to post that. Absolutely crazy stuff. PS4 is on Fire. A console in its fourth year having shortages against a revised Xbox and Nintendo Switch. Sony must have made a deal with the devil. 

UltimateGamer1982 said:
jason1637 said:

Was just about to post that. Absolutely crazy stuff. PS4 is on Fire. A console in its fourth year having shortages against a revised Xbox and Nintendo Switch. Sony must have made a deal with the devil

Gohan would never do that.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
Insidb said:

Take your mouse, scroll to the top of the page, and read, "

Amazon U.S. November bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion"

You're the one telling people that their anecdotal evidence is rubbish here, stifling discussion in a thread based on anecdotal evidence.

Perhaps you should actually read what you copy and paste. Or is Nioh being on sale "anywhere" also somehow equally relevant? So hypocritical.. even after the fact.

You literally cited the front page, as a counterargument, about this specific thread.

Again, this thread, as the header implies, is not about anecdotal evidence: it is literally about the Amazon sales rankings.

Those are discrete, not anecdotal. Whoever ends up in first is the leader, something that has regularly been leveraged in the NPD thread with other sources (possibly the front page, too, but I'm not sure what they use in their full spectrum analysis).

Almost every year, around this time, console fanboys post their "X console is selling like hotcakes at my Y, Z, etc." In the end, we have a TON of conflicting anecdotal evidence, and Amazon's rankings end up picking the actual leader. 

My calling out the uselessness of anecdotal evidence is not me saying that people shouldn't post it, just that it is not truly indicative of anything.

Aura7541 said:
ironmanDX said:

An anecdote is a short account of an incidence. Amazon has hourly, monthly, and yearly rankings. A month and a year are not 'short' accounts by any means. Therefore, Amazon's rankings are not anecdotal evidence. Ultimately, the one who is stifling the discussion is you since you have incorrectly understood what an anecdote is.

You're right about that.

It's still a very vague system of just rankings with no hard numbers. A ranking system which, if you can confirm, has absoloutly no bearing on the estimation methodology of this very site. Still absolutely no point in dismissing anecdotal evidence as "rubbish" in the first place.

Aura7541 said:
3sexty said:

Anecdotal evidence is what informs the majority of discussions on this website.

When people like Abdiel and Benji offer their insights, it's not anecdotal evidence. Their input into how well each system sells comes from actual sales data from the major retailers they work for. Similar thing applies to Amazon. It pretty much makes up the majority of online sales hence why its monthly and yearly rankings give us a good idea of how well each system is doing. Anecdotal evidence is largely useless unless you have a large sample of anecdotes.

Also, I'm willing to concede that my phrasing way blunt and potentially triggering.

That's on me.

WebMasterFlex said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

Was just about to post that. Absolutely crazy stuff. PS4 is on Fire. A console in its fourth year having shortages against a revised Xbox and Nintendo Switch. Sony must have made a deal with the devil

Gohan would never do that.

Of course he wouldn’t. It was an expression. Gohan-San just using his mystic saiyan powers. 

Either Sony is selling over 2 million or close to, or they underestimated demand...... but stores I went to management mentioned they received over 100 systems and sold out rapidly...... so maybe it’s the first possibility

mM