By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. November bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

UltimateGamer1982 said:
WebMasterFlex said:

Gohan would never do that.

Of course he wouldn’t. It was an expression. Gohan-San just using his mystic saiyan powers. 

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
Aura7541 said:

An anecdote is a short account of an incidence. Amazon has hourly, monthly, and yearly rankings. A month and a year are not 'short' accounts by any means. Therefore, Amazon's rankings are not anecdotal evidence. Ultimately, the one who is stifling the discussion is you since you have incorrectly understood what an anecdote is.

You're right about that.

It's still a very vague system of just rankings with no hard numbers. A ranking system which, if you can confirm, has absoloutly no bearing on the estimation methodology of this very site. Still absolutely no point in dismissing anecdotal evidence as "rubbish" in the first place.

There is a good reason to dismiss anecdotal evidence because that is only a single person's account at a specific period of time. An anecdote in the context of how much a console is selling is largely useless because that person is only making a single observation at a single store of one major retailer at X:XX AM/PM. You also have to take into account a lot of variables such as demographics, urban vs rural, whether that retailer is offering a unique deal, etc. The last point is especially true considering that person's anecdote came from Target, which offers an XB1S deal that no other retailers are offering.

This is nowhere near the same as judging sales from Amazon's rankings because its rankings are directly based on its sales data. There are certainly flaws as the rankings are relative and do not say anything about the actual number of sales. However, considering its record at predicting the NPD winner, saying that it has absolutely no bearing is an inaccurate conclusion.

Aura7541 said:
ironmanDX said:

You're right about that.

It's still a very vague system of just rankings with no hard numbers. A ranking system which, if you can confirm, has absoloutly no bearing on the estimation methodology of this very site. Still absolutely no point in dismissing anecdotal evidence as "rubbish" in the first place.

There is a good reason to dismiss anecdotal evidence because that is only a single person's account at a specific period of time. An anecdote in the context of how much a console is selling is largely useless because that person is only making a single observation at a single store of one major retailer at X:XX AM/PM. You also have to take into account a lot of variables such as demographics, urban vs rural, whether that retailer is offering a unique deal, etc. The last point is especially true considering that person's anecdote came from Target, which offers an XB1S deal that no other retailers are offering.

This is nowhere near the same as judging sales from Amazon's rankings because its rankings are directly based on its sales data. There are certainly flaws as the rankings are relative and do not say anything about the actual number of sales. However, considering its record at predicting the NPD winner, saying that it has absolutely no bearing is an inaccurate conclusion.

Last BF, I went to a bunch of retailers throughout NY, and what I saw, compared the end result, gave me a dead wrong indication of what was actually happening. 

Aura7541 said:
ironmanDX said:

You're right about that.

I in no way shape or form said they were equal. It just seems as though it's pointless completely dismissing it just for the sake of it. Forums are for discussion, no matter how pointless it may seem. So why the hell not? Insidb already said hey may have come across as too blunt. So, I'm going to take his lead, let the thread get back on track and STFU before you ban me.

quickrick said:
jason1637 said:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/npd-october-2017-shadow-of-war-1-sw-nintendo-switch-1-hw.6580/page-39#post-1328534
Looks like PS4 is having shortages not only online buy at stores. Must really be selling like a God Church.

well the guy seems legit, but how can he have so much data? does npd even know how many consoles are selling by the day?

He doesn't work for NPD but he seems to work for one of the retailers and has access yo sales numbers.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
quickrick said:

well the guy seems legit, but how can he have so much data? does npd even know how many consoles are selling by the day?

He doesn't work for NPD but he seems to work for one of the retailers and has access yo sales numbers.

Any news anywhere on restocking? It has to be an insane number of consoles sold, if it's actually sold out.

Insidb said:
jason1637 said:

Any news anywhere on restocking? It has to be an insane number of consoles sold, if it's actually sold out.

A guy on resetera who has called multiple stores was told "try next week" apparently. 

jason1637 said:
quickrick said:

how can a retailer have access to all sales numbers though?

ironmanDX said:
Aura7541 said:

I in no way shape or form said they were equal. It just seems as though it's pointless completely dismissing it just for the sake of it. Forums are for discussion, no matter how pointless it may seem. So why the hell not? Insidb already said hey may have come across as too blunt. So, I'm going to take his lead, let the thread get back on track and STFU before you ban me.

I ate sh*t twice on anecdotal evidence-based, BF predictions...let me be your dead lab rat!

LIVE, GODDAMN YOU! LIIIIIIIIIVE!

pro is out in amazon too