By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. November bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

animegaming said:
Insidb said:

Any news anywhere on restocking? It has to be an insane number of consoles sold, if it's actually sold out.

A guy on resetera who has called multiple stores was told "try next week" apparently. 

Okay, well, I thought he was referencing a CRM or something like that.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Either Sony is selling over 2 million or close to, or they underestimated demand...... but stores I went to management mentioned they received over 100 systems and sold out rapidly...... so maybe it’s the first possibility

Yea, considering the one insider said that Sony was "nuking" the others, I would say it is closer to the first one.  I don't know about 2M, but it should be up from last year.  Which is why I don't get some saying Sony goofed by underestimating demand.  I would say its more like they pumped just about as many as they could into the market, but sold out quicker than anyone planned for them to.  That's not really a goof if they got a lot of stock into stores already.

quickrick said:
ironmanDX said:

Consoles almost never peak in their first year.

By your logic, no one bought a PS4 for Uncharted 4 because Nathan Drake collection existed. Comprising of a full 3 titles of said franchise. Does that sound like rubbish to you?

you can't compare ps4, because ps4 has the entire industry behind it. nintendo only has nintendo games selling there consoles, thats why there home consoles fail. except for wii.

Just because a console does not sell as much as another console does not make it a failure. NES, SNES, and N64 all did well. GC might have had lower sales but it was profitable for Nintendo and its sales weren't far off from the OG Xbox. The Wii U was really their only home system that flopped. 

Also, Switch is not really comparable to their stationary systems. It offers something that the other two do not and the market appears to have accepted it. I can easily see PS4, Xbox and PC players picking up a Switch as portable companion to their stationary systems. Also, based on anecdotal observation (which I described with regards to friends and family members in an earlier comment) I am seeing far more of an uptake with Switch among people that have not had a Nintendo system in years (particularly a home console). Now this is annecdotal and the early sales success of the system do not necessarily mean that it will be successful in the future (I will remain skeptical because I feel the price of the system is too high; and I will not be convinced until it outsells GameCube in a timely manner), but this appears to be a system with much broader appeal than say the Wii U or GC or even portables like 3DS. This in itself does not guarantee success (again personally and particularly after this sales week I personally remain skeptical about Switch's momentum), but it does at least indicate that there is potential.

thismeintiel said:
leo-j said:
Either Sony is selling over 2 million or close to, or they underestimated demand...... but stores I went to management mentioned they received over 100 systems and sold out rapidly...... so maybe it’s the first possibility

Yea, considering the one insider said that Sony was "nuking" the others, I would say it is closer to the first one.  I don't know about 2M, but it should be up from last year.  Which is why I don't get some saying Sony goofed by underestimating demand.  I would say its more like they pumped just about as many as they could into the market, but sold out quicker than anyone planned for them to.  That's not really a goof if they got a lot of stock into stores already.

quickrick said:
jason1637 said:

He doesn't work for NPD but he seems to work for one of the retailers and has access yo sales numbers.

how can a retailer have access to all sales numbers though?

No he has access to the specific retailer. Let's says he works for Best Buy and has access to sales number for best buy stores. 

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
quickrick said:

how can a retailer have access to all sales numbers though?

No he has access to the specific retailer. Let's says he works for Best Buy and has access to sales number for best buy stores. 

ah ok, maybe walmart, game stop or best buy.

Looks like X slowed down quite a bit. It's no longer in the Top 50, but is in stock.

ironmanDX said:
Insidb said:

Take your mouse, scroll to the top of the page, and read, "

Amazon U.S. November bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion"

You're the one telling people that their anecdotal evidence is rubbish here, stifling discussion in a thread based on anecdotal evidence.

Perhaps you should actually read what you copy and paste. Or is Nioh being on sale "anywhere" also somehow equally relevant? So hypocritical.. even after the fact.

An anecdote is PERSONAL data, Amazon Best-Sellers List is COLLECTIVE data. You are bending the definition of anecdotal evidence so you don't have to admit you are wrong. You are wrong, it sucks, apologize to those more informed than you on this subject and get over it.

thismeintiel said:
Looks like X slowed down quite a bit. It's no longer in the Top 50, but is in stock.

You sure? I see it at #2.

Insidb said:
thismeintiel said:

You sure? I see it at #2.

X, not S.