By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes the average Nintendo game hold its value so well compared to other console games

Rol not stop love the all out attack on you XD.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
RolStoppable said:

Because it's pointless at this stage. There's no widely active userbase for Wii U software anymore, so there's no volume to be gained by lowering the price.

Sorry but that just goes against everything you have said in this thread.  

I mean, you said "Nintendo games can stay expensive and sell well for so long because they are more valuable than anybody else's games to begin with."

so...  how come WiiU owners got tired so quickly? It is not like they've already moved on to the Switch.  I mean, even if we assume that every single WiiU owner is gonna buy a Switch eventually, that only means that 7m people haven't done it yet. How come these people are not seeing the value of such high quality games?

I mean, we have games like ZWW, DKTF, Yoshi, Captain Toad, Hyrule, Pikmin, Bayonetta and Xenoblade, etc., (which are all universally acclaimed) and yet none of them have even reached the 2m mark yet. That can only means that 11 million people didn't see the value in them to go out of their ways to buy them.

Oh! and just as a side note: According to VGC WiiU owners bought an average of 6.49 games.  That is way below the average of 11 games that PS360 owners bought.

But your argument is flawed because you omitted the time it took to have these games. It’s easy now to look at the games that were released on the Wii U and say that there’s alot of quality titles, but the release window of each games were pretty scarce and even if you have the best games in the world, it won’t attract customers to the hardware.

And to add to Rol’s point. I’ve seen people here saying that Nintendo doesn’t drop their price even if their game doesn’t sell. That’s true, but not because they’re greedy, but because they lower the offer. If there’s one thing they’re good at it’s to ship their software accordingly to the demand. If the title is not looking to be a “evergreen title” like they call it, they’ll just stop producing it or reduced the amount shipped and lost money in the long run.

RolStoppable said:
Ajax said:

Other companies also make high quality games.

In that case they wouldn't need to drop the price.

I guess this is a few days late, but there have been many quality games that didn't sell well. Beyond Good & Evil is a good example, System Shock 2 is another one.

RolStoppable said:
VGPolyglot said:

I guess this is a few days late, but there have been many quality games that didn't sell well. Beyond Good & Evil is a good example, System Shock 2 is another one.

Yes, you are late. I've already stated that there are flaws with the sales = quality argument, that's why it isn't one that I use. What I say instead is that long term sales = quality, because you'll have a hard time finding a game with good/great legs that is bad.

Wii Play isn't generally considered to be a great game itself.

RolStoppable said:
VGPolyglot said:

Wii Play isn't generally considered to be a great game itself.

That's the same tactic many other people have used in this thread: Focus on an exception to the rule and pretend that the exception is the rule, therefore the rule is not true. Although I consider it premature to lump you in with the pack right away, so view this more as me pointing out what has been the trend in this thread.

The thing about Wii Play is that it wasn't a $50 game. The consumer perception was that a standalone Wii Remote is $40 and the Wii Play package (game and Wii Remote) is $50, making the perceived cost of the game essentially $10. Remember that Wii Remotes were in high demand because people wanted to play local multiplayer on Wii. All that Wii Play had to live up to was a $10 value; of its nine minigames, three of them were modern versions of Pong, Combat and Duck Hunt which were very successful games during their time. If the subjective opinions of modern gamers are inserted, Wii Play is considered a crappy game. If sales data and video game history is researched, then the objective conclusion is very different. Consumers usually had the choice to add Wii Play to their Wii Remote purchase - exceptions being sellout periods of standalone Wii Remotes - and a large number thought that $10 for Wii Play is fair. Which is understandable, because it was a title with a few solid minigames that you could really play with anyone.

OK, what about the Just Dance games then? Those sold year after-year.

Around the Network

Nintendo and Blizzard are masters at IPs. Theres some sort of magic they add to there games that only they can pull off.
Rare use to be like that aswell before they got old.

As long as the games have legs and there are 1-2 game per franchise per console the prices wont fall.

Last edited by Naum - on 04 November 2017

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Quality.

This thread has gone to some weird places, but as far as the main question is concerned there are probably a number of different reasons. One could very well just be Nintendo's philosophy in selling their games, that maybe they simply consider the games to worth a certain price regardless of how old they are, to a certain point at least, and price them accordingly.

However, there are other aspects I would consider such as the fact that more often than not Nintendo's games are the main reason to buy a Nintendo console, and they know this. Hence, they know that even if they don't drop the prices of their games people will still buy them because they are the main attraction so to speak. People look for Nintendo games on their platforms, and in general there's no reason not to since they are usually among the platforms best titles.

This can lead to the issue that has often plagued Nintendo's consoles (not always of course), that third parties never see the kind of sales even when they release excellent games on the platforms. People are just satisfied with Nintendo's own output, and the rest of the game library often gets overlooked as a result. This might be another reason for the disparity between the price of the 1st and 3rd party titles on Nintendo consoles. Nintendo doesn't need to lower the prices to achieve great sales, while other companies need to drop them to get better sales.

Still, it could very well just be a difference in the ideology between Nintendo and other video game companies. Other companies may see it as a useful marketing tool to lower the prices of their games, and achieve higher profit that way, while Nintendo could see things in a different light, that the game's quality and name value is enough.

RolStoppable said:

"What do you mean, Wii U owners got tired so quickly? There are games like Mario Kart 8 that have sold well throughout the system's life. You might as well attack the Nintendo 64 at this point and talk about the current lack of sales for its software as proof that Nintendo 64 games aren't quality."

That is not true and you know it.  Most of the games I mentioned were released 3 years ago (some even two years ago).  And you are the one who keeps repeating that long term sales = quality to justify the price. Well, if that's the case then these games should be selling today.

And I'm not denouncing the quality of those games at all.  I'm just pointing out how flawed your  "long term sales = quality" logic is because, hey, if we're gonna go there, Black Ops 3 (which launched in the same year than some of these games) sold 400,000 units in 2017.  Should we conclude that BO3 is of better quality than these games? I mean, it showed better legs, didnt it?

"Your argument to denounce the quality of games that haven't sold 2m copies on a 13m userbase because 11m didn't buy them is mightily backfiring when you apply the same logic to PS and Xbox consoles. About 60m PS4 owners didn't buy Horizon Zero Dawn, so according to your logic it can't be a quality game."

Of course the same logic can be applied to all games/devs/publishers.  That's why you don't see me saying that it would be ok for them to keep the prices high forever.

NOW, WITH AL THAT BEING SAID.  I just went back to re-check the prices on Nintendo's website and I verified that they DID indeed lower the price of the games I mentioned earlier.  Which makes all of our discussion moot.