By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Catalonia declares independence. Puigdemont free to roam Belgium.

Who do you support?

Spain 139 59.40%

Catalonia 95 40.60%

Total:234

http://www.catalunyapress.cat/texto-diario/mostrar/876993/puigdemont-pagar-empreses-muntaven-estructures-lestat-catal-amb-fons-per-creacio-docupacio
Some details of Puigdemont's misuse of government funds: Apparently they were taking budget meant for unemployed people
to use to fund their illegal referendum as well as building new tax collector authority for when they imagined to be independent.
(in reality, now preparing for elections called by Madrid, after Puig's non-asylum-seeking pilgrimage to The European Capitol*)
* Fucking bastards, always forgetting Strasbourg... (they don't have NATO, though, so... European values call...)

Seriously sad that vulnerable people without work are paying for these people's idealistic fantasy.
I mean, many of those unemployed people did not even support this project, but separatists don't care.
If they wanted to, why not fund these things themselves voluntarily, thru independence bonds if they want?

Incidentally, I read separatism was least popular amongst poorest segments of population. Imagine why.
Catalonia government has been spending on many projects keyed to separatism, rather than basic social needs.
Yet of course, they prefer to complain about budget allocations from Madrid.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 31 October 2017

Around the Network
Hedra42 said:

To put this into context with your comments on the EU - the EU is not one big country, it is a union of distinct countries which have distinct identities, and histories involving war and atrocities against one another over thousands of years, but have been able to learn from the past and work together peacefully. The EU may be striving for an even closer union, but I sincerely hope that the countries in the EU do not lose their indigenous languages, customs and cultures as a result. Europe would become a very boring place if it did.

You're right, the EU is not fully a country as say the US is and I kind of get carried away and already see it as one. At least in my opinion the whole EU dream is for it to become one country eventually, don't know when but eventually. We already got a level of union that is beyond any other association of countries anywhere. We got at least in some countries a common currency which was unthinkable only 10 years before it actually happened. But yeah, this is just my opinion but I would hope to see the EU become one day some kind of United States of Europe. One of the reaons why the US is so powerful as a country is precisely because they are a bunch of states that are UNITED.

So I'm curious as to that last part of your comment which I underlined: I understand what you are saying but I have to wonder, would you by the same logic say that the US who mostly speaks one language only, that it is a boring country because of that?

Hedra42 said:
fatslob-:O said:

UK having a non-legally binding referendum lead them to withdrawing EU membership ... 

If Catalan separatists or unionists knows what's good for themselves then they'll take a non-legally binding referendum seriously as in UK's example ... 

This way it won't spook the Spanish General Courts too much into a gridlock and they won't have much to lose aside from the possibility that the people of Catalonia does not want to be in a union with Spain anymore ... 

Best way to test out just how "democratic" or "imperialist" Spain truly is IMO ...

It can't really be compared with the UK's EU referendum because it's a completely different situation - the UK is leaving a union of countries it voted to join by referendum; they're not part of a unified country trying to separate themselves.

Technically speaking, any referendum in the UK is advisory (non-legally binding). The fact that it was non-legally binding had no impact on the result of the Brexit vote, or the EU accepting the outcome. But I won't drag this off topic by getting into those details.

Take the Scottish independence referendum of 2014. In order for that to take place, the UK and Scottish governments signed the Edinburgh agreement in 2012 to make it legal for the Scottish government to have a referendum by the end of 2014.

In contrast, Spain declared the Catalan independence referendum of Oct 1 illegal. I won't pretend that I know or understand all the developments running up to this referendum, but there obviously was no legal agreement beforehand.

In the Scottish referendum, there was an 85% turnout with 55% voting to 'No' to independence.

In the Catalan referendum, just a 42% turnout with 90% voting 'yes' to independence, but poll stations were being closed, ballot boxes being seized and voters turned away by police.

Despite the Catalan results I am reading reports that a low percentage of Catalonians want independence. If this is correct, then IMO it is right for Spain to have snap regional elections. I understand that the Spanish foreign minister has even said that the Catalan leader is still entitled to stand for election - provided he is not in jail.

I'm beginning to doubt he will stand, now the news is that he and other Catalan officials have fled to Brussels.

I wasn't making a comparison between the situations ... 

Just raising up the possibility that if a non-legally binding referendum is agreed upon both sides (ie. a motion with no guarantee of resolution just like UK withdrawing it's EU membership since it had to also be approved by the house of commons/lords) then it should be taken just as seriously since it CAN potentially lead into motion ... 

Actually, according to the latest polls from Centre for Opinion Studies the plurality of of Catalans desire independence. Here's a short breakdown ... 

In favour - (48.7%) Against - (43.6%) Do not Know - (6.5%) No reply - (1.3%) 

Then there was another interesting question about what kind of political entity the citizens of Catalonia want ... 

Independendent state - (40.2%) Federal state - (21.9%) Autonomous community - (27.4%) Region - (4.6%) Do not know - (4.7%) No reply - (1.2%) 

It's plain clear that support for a union is decreasing among Catalan citizens. Before 2012 the plurality used to be in favour of an autonomous community and support for Catalonia being a federal state used to be as high as the high 30's but during 2012 and after the plurality of Catalans now favour becoming an independent state and this has been the trend for 5 years now!

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Hedra42 said:

To put this into context with your comments on the EU - the EU is not one big country, it is a union of distinct countries which have distinct identities, and histories involving war and atrocities against one another over thousands of years, but have been able to learn from the past and work together peacefully. The EU may be striving for an even closer union, but I sincerely hope that the countries in the EU do not lose their indigenous languages, customs and cultures as a result. Europe would become a very boring place if it did.

You're right, the EU is not fully a country as say the US is and I kind of get carried away and already see it as one. At least in my opinion the whole EU dream is for it to become one country eventually, don't know when but eventually. We already got a level of union that is beyond any other association of countries anywhere. We got at least in some countries a common currency which was unthinkable only 10 years before it actually happened. But yeah, this is just my opinion but I would hope to see the EU become one day some kind of United States of Europe. One of the reaons why the US is so powerful as a country is precisely because they are a bunch of states that are UNITED.

So I'm curious as to that last part of your comment which I underlined: I understand what you are saying but I have to wonder, would you by the same logic say that the US who mostly speaks one language only, that it is a boring country because of that?

I couldn't use the same logic for the US. It is one country that is a cultural melting pot comprised of the descendents of people who migrated there from all over the world, and that in itself is fascinating in a completely different way.

The thousands of years of American history there belong to the indigenous peoples of that continent. But for the most part, the identity of the US as the country we know today has been forged from events that began only a few hundred years ago.

In contrast, the thousands of years of history in Europe still has an influence on the politics of our individual countries, the national identities of the peoples that live there, our languages and customs and the way we think - as evidenced by some of the remarks made in this thread. Despite that, Europe, as you say, has the strongest union of independent countries in the world.

Last edited by Hedra42 - on 01 November 2017

CrazyGamer2017 said:

-They want to create a superstate because there is a natural trend towards uniting because union makes us stronger and if we think of the others as being part of us, chances are low on war with the others. In a divided Europe as past history overwhelmingly demonstrates, war is at every corner, all the time, division causes hatred and jealousy. One of the main reasons for the EU's existence is peace and people do not realize this but there has never been so much peace in the countries that are part of the EU. NOBODY in any EU country today would think that a neighboring country will attack and invade, it's totally unthinkable and that is because we are all together part of a new country called the EU. Nationalism and separatism threatens that peace because it means creating borders and "others" that are not "us" anymore, therefore sooner or later others become the enemy and war ensues.

-As for your second paragraph: giving nationalists what they want is precisely risking instability for the reasons I just explained.

-As for ethno-linguistic nationalism, I think I despise that kind of nationalism even more than the regular kind and here is why:

To me a language is a tool for communication and the more people speak a language the wider the audience for expressing ideas and communicating. (Why of all the languages in the world do you think I learned English for? To communicate and understand as many people as possible) That is the smart thing to do, the good reason to learn a language. But linguistic nationalists are people who think a language is tied to a land and they want that language to be spoken there and nothing else. By that logic we should all speak different languages and no one could understand what others say cause you must include all the dialects too. Such a situation would yield the opposite effect and make languages a political and social tool for regional identity instead of a tool for communication and that is an ignorant use of this fantastic tool that is language. And that's not even mentioning the fact that different languages are also a cause for division and distrust of the others in turn pushing for even more borders and potential wars.

-Look at my country for instance: Belgium. To make a long story short, we got mainly two communities here. Us French speaking people in the south and Flemings in the north and we don't get along, why? A lot of complex issues granted but at the end of the day the only true difference between us is LANGUAGE and that's all there REALLY is to it over here. The north a bit richer than the south complains that money from taxes trickle down towards the south and that they want independence because of that. But that is only an excuse for the simple reason that no two regions have the exact same economic level and you can find differences INSIDE the Flemish part of the country. In other words, money trickles down TOO between different parts of the Flemish side of the country cause not all sections have the exact same level of riches. But you will never hear a person there complain about that because when money trickles towards a different part of the Flemish land, nobody thinks of it as money going away because they all speak the same language THEREFORE they all think of themselves as one country, one people but in the south we don't speak their language, we speak French so we are in their minds STRANGERS, other people.

So you see linguistic nationalism is even worse than the regular kind of nationalism, very dangerous, divisive and counter effecting progress. In a globalised modern world, in this internet age, linguistic nationalism is obsolete and irrelevant yet nationalists are struggling to keep it alive.

And finally ethnic nationalism: This is just a fancy way to say RACISM. So I'm not a fan.

-So you're seeing a future with just one global country, right? If so, how centralized? And how do you see the future?

-I understand, but what about democracy, what if they really want independence, like 80% in favour? Surely, at some point not giving in would cost more than surrendering. 

-Although i agree that language is divisive, people won't just stop speaking the language of their ancestors, not even in a thousand years, especially the lower class. It seems that it is the least offensive way people have naturally divided themselves (the alternatives being race, religion, class). It would be best if people didn't do any of that, but i don't see it stopping even in a globalized world.

-A solution would be to create a mix of French and Dutch, a real Belgian language, maybe then Belgium would become a real country ;)

Last edited by fory77 - on 02 November 2017

Around the Network
fory77 said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

-They want to create a superstate because there is a natural trend towards uniting because union makes us stronger and if we think of the others as being part of us, chances are low on war with the others. In a divided Europe as past history overwhelmingly demonstrates, war is at every corner, all the time, division causes hatred and jealousy. One of the main reasons for the EU's existence is peace and people do not realize this but there has never been so much peace in the countries that are part of the EU. NOBODY in any EU country today would think that a neighboring country will attack and invade, it's totally unthinkable and that is because we are all together part of a new country called the EU. Nationalism and separatism threatens that peace because it means creating borders and "others" that are not "us" anymore, therefore sooner or later others become the enemy and war ensues.

-As for your second paragraph: giving nationalists what they want is precisely risking instability for the reasons I just explained.

-As for ethno-linguistic nationalism, I think I despise that kind of nationalism even more than the regular kind and here is why:

To me a language is a tool for communication and the more people speak a language the wider the audience for expressing ideas and communicating. (Why of all the languages in the world do you think I learned English for? To communicate and understand as many people as possible) That is the smart thing to do, the good reason to learn a language. But linguistic nationalists are people who think a language is tied to a land and they want that language to be spoken there and nothing else. By that logic we should all speak different languages and no one could understand what others say cause you must include all the dialects too. Such a situation would yield the opposite effect and make languages a political and social tool for regional identity instead of a tool for communication and that is an ignorant use of this fantastic tool that is language. And that's not even mentioning the fact that different languages are also a cause for division and distrust of the others in turn pushing for even more borders and potential wars.

-Look at my country for instance: Belgium. To make a long story short, we got mainly two communities here. Us French speaking people in the south and Flemings in the north and we don't get along, why? A lot of complex issues granted but at the end of the day the only true difference between us is LANGUAGE and that's all there REALLY is to it over here. The north a bit richer than the south complains that money from taxes trickle down towards the south and that they want independence because of that. But that is only an excuse for the simple reason that no two regions have the exact same economic level and you can find differences INSIDE the Flemish part of the country. In other words, money trickles down TOO between different parts of the Flemish side of the country cause not all sections have the exact same level of riches. But you will never hear a person there complain about that because when money trickles towards a different part of the Flemish land, nobody thinks of it as money going away because they all speak the same language THEREFORE they all think of themselves as one country, one people but in the south we don't speak their language, we speak French so we are in their minds STRANGERS, other people.

So you see linguistic nationalism is even worse than the regular kind of nationalism, very dangerous, divisive and counter effecting progress. In a globalised modern world, in this internet age, linguistic nationalism is obsolete and irrelevant yet nationalists are struggling to keep it alive.

And finally ethnic nationalism: This is just a fancy way to say RACISM. So I'm not a fan.

-So you're seeing a future with just one global country, right? If so, how centralized? And how do you see the future?

-I understand, but what about democracy, what if they really want independence, like 80% in favour? Surely, at some point not giving in would cost more than surrendering. 

-Although i agree that language is divisive, people won't just stop speaking the language of their ancestors, not even in a thousand years, especially the lower class. It seems that it is the least offensive way people have naturally divided themselves (the alternatives being race, religion, class). It would be best if people didn't do any of that, but i don't see it stopping even in a globalized world.

-A solution would be to create a mix of French and Dutch, a real Belgian language, maybe then Belgium would become a real country ;)

Dutch is already awful enough to mix it with french, the result would be an epic aberration xD

I would appreciate other regions gaining their independence if the indepent territory is liberal in social AND economy.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Speaking of Belgium, I think that country is artificial and a historical anomaly purely due to the outcome of the World War 1. I think Belgium should have a referendum to be split in half between France and Holland.

Slimebeast said:
Speaking of Belgium, I think that country is artificial and a historical anomaly purely due to the outcome of the World War 1. I think Belgium should have a referendum to be split in half between France and Holland.

Do Flandes wants to be Netherlands or Wallonia wants to be French? Are Netherlands and France ok with that? Who is gonna get Brussels?

Ka-pi96 said:
fory77 said:

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""good guys in the east"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" nice one

All Spain had to do was make the referendum legal. But they knew the west would be with them, didn't want to risk a democratic defeat and made it illegal.

And in doing so exposing the entirety of the west as massive hypocrites to the rest of the world!

It's well known basically everyone in power are hypocrites. Just be glad you're in a society where you can call them hypocrites, futile as it may be since they'll just shrug and keep doing whatever they want.