By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why doesn't Nintendo make a game that looks like Uncharted 2/3??

What do you think?

You're an idiot, Breath ... 96 43.05%

#720p Master Race 32 14.35%

whoooo lets the dogs out? WHO? WHOHOWHO? 28 12.56%

Oddysey? Lost Legacy? I c... 15 6.73%

Mark Serony is busy, call... 13 5.83%

Knack. 39 17.49%

Total:223

As a student in game art, I find this comparison really...misplaced. For numerous reasons. Art style is always the first thing to consider when taking a look at game art. If you're going photoreal then make sure to go in 100% and that's what Naughty Dog did. If you want a more stylized and animated game world then make sure you go in 50% and keep a rear view mirror of photorealism for the other 50%. I actually think it's more difficult to correctly pull off a stylized direction because to succeed at it, you need to incorporate aspects of both realism and stylization into your art style. Which is why games like Breath of the Wild can look so damn good on such inferior devices.

Another huge part of the "look" of a game like Uncharted 2 and 3 is the lighting. Lighting is just as important if not more important than texturing. And I will agree that Nintendo needs to get more experienced in the lighting department. And they will. It's just that western developers have been using these amazing engines with next gen features for some time and Nintendo just got on the bandwagon in 2012 with Wii U. They are gonna need more than 5 years to get really good at all aspects of the art pipeline. Despite what Miyamoto says, Nintendo still needs to fully understand dynamic lighting, but if they do indeed know what they're doing and hardware is preventing them from really showing off, then Nintendo...make more powerful hardware. That's where I stand.

Around the Network

*Comes back from Lunch* *Sees comments*

Oh boy, this thread turned out waaaaaaaaaaaaay too negatively. You guys are focusing wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much on competition. This isn't a thread saying that x games look better than Nintendo's entire catalog. I, for instance, think Odyssey looks better than Uncharted. This is a thread of me just saying "Wow, it would be cool if Nintendo showed off the specs by showing what realism can be accomplished even with a small tablet!" Maybe I could have made that more clear, the original title was bad and didn't communicate that properly...

But LITERALLY nowhere in any of my posts did I actually say that it looked better than all Nintendo games, or that it was a better benchmark for Switch, or that it was technically more efficient. So unless you just read the title and commented ... I don't know how you could interpret it that way. In fact, I even said the opposite, that Breath of the Wild is a better benchmark for Switch than Uncharted would be for Switch(if it had been on the system of course). To be fair I can't really blame you guys, I can't expect people to read past a thread title. And a thread title  can make something look one way even after you read the thread. Oh well, I'll try better next time.

So when it all comes down to it it's about art style... and on that I've gotten two answers, both of which I take issue with.

The first is that cartoony art styles are just better or that Nintendo should only use that art style. While I agree photorealism is not something to always strive for, talk about a generic reply. Do we need this standard for EVERY Nintendo game? I don't think so. It would be cool to see a Prime game more in line with a more realistic style, or a new IP. In fact, I mostly made this thread to highlight how cool a New IP using this style would come off as. This is the exact reason I dreaded posting this thread in the Nintendo discussion, because I knew the replies would be so one sided. Maybe general discussion would have been better!

The Second is that this comparison is misplaced (@Ljink) which again, really just shows that one title can knock off people's entire reasoning. I don't think the comparison is misplaced ... because it's *NOT* a comparison. It's a thread stating that realistic game being made for Switch hardware would be cool. Nowhere do I compare it to anything, or say that it's superior to any game graphically in the Switch library. The point of the thread was that making a game that looked like that would be cool. I might have compared it to cartoony games, but that is incidental, since the entire basis of the distinction that I want a realistic looking game is that it isn't portraying the antithesis of a realistic looking game.

I also wanted to make this thread because I think a lot of people would be sold on a Switch if a game that looked more realistic would come out. The general market is full of people who could probably be shown a new Uncharted game running of 2's engine, and they would still gasp in awe as if they had just seen a tech demo for the PS5. I even said this (in a simplified way)in the OP.

Even though I appreciate different viewpoints and everyone's input, it's also sad when you have to argue against ideas you generally agree with. I generally like cartoony visuals more, but I was set back at how good UC2 still looked, and it made me want to play something like that on Switch. I really try to make all my threads about interactions and discussion pieces. I'm sorry if my opinion seems too dumb or rude or far off , I guess. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 26 October 2017

aikohualda said:
why couldn't sony make more games that would have a metacritic of 96 or higher?????????????????
i mean they have like what 1 or 2? and they have been in the business for a long time, they have the tech, resource, brain.... but why not?

to be honest i feel stupid writing that....

Yeah, that was pretty stupid. 

This comment sounds like it was written for someone like PEEPeroni, or Lawlight, or Niceguygameplayer

You're talking to ALA, a user who arguably prefers Nintendo over all the competition

So I don't know why the animosity or poorly thought out sarcasic argument

Besides, I can't even find a Sony game that is made or funded by them that got a 96 or higher besides Uncharted 2 ... and that's like an 8 at best

You mean with a more realistic artstyle, right? If so, wait for Metroid Prime 4, I guess.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

I would enjoy more diversity on the Switch. Perhaps we’ll get a port of Tomb Raider. That would be great fun on the go.

"There are things which, if done by the few, we should refuse to imitate; yet when the majority have begun to do them, we follow along - just as if anything were more honourable because it is more frequent!"

-Seneca

Around the Network
ThisGuyFooks said:
jason1637 said:

Uncharted 2/3 isn't state of the art graphics in 2017.

They were back in the day, i dont undertand your point.

If Nintendo were to create a game with UC2/3 graphics it won't be considered state of the art today. Your post was that Nintendo should make games that look like UC2 or 3 because it's them making a game with state of the art graphics. 

jason1637 said:
ThisGuyFooks said:

They were back in the day, i dont undertand your point.

If Nintendo were to create a game with UC2/3 graphics it won't be considered state of the art today. Your post was that Nintendo should make games that look like UC2 or 3 because it's them making a game with state of the art graphics. 

Mine wasn't though, and you responded as if it was.

Even so, UC2/3 hold up really well ... and Switch is more powerful than PS3, so more should be possible.

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 26 October 2017

Are you talking about the graphics?

If yes, i meam the switch has 3xx nvidia gflops undocked and a little bit more docked. They simply cant. 

If you want photorealistic graphics Switch isn't the system for you.
Build yourself a 4k PC or whatever.

Nintendo has always made their stance pretty clear in terms of pushing for unique art styles and gameplay innovations, which is why they don't care about having weaker hardware.

Shaunodon said:
If you want photorealistic graphics Switch isn't the system for you.
Build yourself a 4k PC or whatever.

Nintendo has always made their stance pretty clear in terms of pushing for unique art styles and gameplay innovations, which is why they don't care about having weaker hardware.

It doesn't take a 4K PC for that

and the Switch art style is hardly "unique", because every Nintendo game does it. That's as stupid as saying that Activision has made their point clear, that they strive for unique photorealism in every Cod game.