By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - BoTW will win more GOTY awards than SMO. (minor spoilers)

lol these length arguments are dumb. there are many that will do the extras and replay the game just for the pure fun. I beat previous mario games in 7-12 hrs but i easily put in over 100 hrs into them

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
Wright said:

I don't think a speedrun is a valid comparison, because some people are mad crazy with time-saving strategies and thus generally have a sense of knowledge of the game that hardly anyone else has.

That being said, I agree with the sentiment that a game being shorter than other (let's say that's indeed the case with Odyssey) isn't inherently a negative thing. Not all games require the same length.

A games value is the dollar cost divided by its hours, so if we're comparing it to BOTW and it's shorter then of course BOTW is the better game

.....no offense but that statement is one of the more stupid assessments of value I have ever seen

It should. Watching the DF footage, it's a Mario game that looks like the other Mario games. Jump on things, collect giant floating coins, break random floating stones.

BotW will easily be considered the more important game.

Hey ... as long as Sony won't be getting any of them

pokoko said:
It should. Watching the DF footage, it's a Mario game that looks like the other Mario games. Jump on things, collect giant floating coins, break random floating stones.

BotW will easily be considered the more important game.

Joke post!? Yes joke post!!

Around the Network

SMO will probably win more GOTY awards than BoTW for an even more simple reason: it is the newer game.

New games have it much easier to get GOTY awards than games with similar quality that are 6 - 10 months older. They get much more media attention in the weeks before the award decision and many award juries will be affected by that, at least unconcious.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them both end up fairly even in number of awards.

While Breath of the Wild is undoubtedly one of the most important games to be released over the last number of years, Mario Odyssey will be fresh in the mind.

Conina said:
SMO will probably win more GOTY awards than BoTW for an even more simple reason: it is the newer game.

New games have it much easier to get GOTY awards than games with similar quality that are 6 - 10 months older. They get much more media attention in the weeks before the award decision and many award juries will be affected by that, at least unconcious.

That's partially the reason newer games get more awards.

There is also the fact that the longer a game has been out the more people's hype and initial excitement wears off and they can better critically examine the game. You know, better determine if it was over-rated, over-hyped, ect.

In this case. BotW is still seen as one of the best games of all time. There is no reveiwers remorse by giving it a 10 when they want it instead an 8 or 9.

It's the same reason I HATE seeing "best games of all time" list include games in the last year. They are too new. The verdict on them is still biased. I mean look at that same list the following year. Half those games won't be on the list anymore.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Hey remember 2018 is the year of Playstation not 2017.

PEEPer0nni said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Hey remember 2018 is the year of Playstation not 2017.

I got to give you props for at least poking fun at a conversation we had

either way I was kidding, 2017 is best year ever for games and Sony might have won it haha