By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Odyssey Reviews - 97 Metacritic (91 Reviews) - 97 OpenCritic (84 Reviews)

I played the prologue and the first kingdom, and I actually found it pretty challenging.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Nuvendil said:

Not mandatory, I don't think.  But a heck of a lot harder to do.

Huh? How can you know how hard it is to do without motion if you're not sure it can be done at all?

Cause I am playing the game and while I haven't made it a point to attempt every single trick with standard controls, the more practical ones I have been able to do.  But it's not easy.

Volterra_90 said:

Hahaha, you really don't like motion, do you? . I actually haven't noticed any part of the game which can't be beaten without motion, so no worries. There are at least a cool move which can we done with motion only as far as I know, but nothing that's so mandatory. HD Rumble is used in some puzzles though, in a very cool way I must say.

What, now I'm gonna have to turn on HD rumble? Will the gimmicks ever stop? :L

roadkillers said:
So is this game worth $400? I'm really thinking about picking up a Switch... Maybe I'll return my Air Conditioner to pay for it... lol

Unless you know you absolutely and obsessively love a game, I wouldn't recommend buying a system for any one game alone. Be sure to take a look at the rest of the Switch's library and upcoming games.

Flilix said:
I played the prologue and the first kingdom, and I actually found it pretty challenging.

Have you played 3D Mario games before? I just got done with the Jurassic kingdom and it was really easy for me, but I have played every previous 3D Mario.

Nuvendil said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Huh? How can you know how hard it is to do without motion if you're not sure it can be done at all?

Cause I am playing the game and while I haven't made it a point to attempt every single trick with standard controls, the more practical ones I have been able to do.  But it's not easy.

That still doesn't explain how you can know how hard something is to do without even knowing how to do it, but that matters not now. I got the game, tried all sorts of things, and nope, vertical throw, downward throw, spin throw, and homing attack cannot be done without motion controls unfortunately. Again shouldn't be a big deal, hasn't been so far, but still lame.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Volterra_90 said:

Hahaha, you really don't like motion, do you? . I actually haven't noticed any part of the game which can't be beaten without motion, so no worries. There are at least a cool move which can we done with motion only as far as I know, but nothing that's so mandatory. HD Rumble is used in some puzzles though, in a very cool way I must say.

What, now I'm gonna have to turn on HD rumble? Will the gimmicks ever stop? :L

roadkillers said:
So is this game worth $400? I'm really thinking about picking up a Switch... Maybe I'll return my Air Conditioner to pay for it... lol

Unless you know you absolutely and obsessively love a game, I wouldn't recommend buying a system for any one game alone. Be sure to take a look at the rest of the Switch's library and upcoming games.

Flilix said:

Have you played 3D Mario games before? I just got done with the Jurassic kingdom and it was really easy for me, but I have played every previous 3D Mario.

Don't know for sure, but I definitely got a moon with the use of HD Rumble. I'm loving the use of HD rumble in this game actually. But I can't tell you if there's another way to solve it without the rumble on...

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Nuvendil said:

That still doesn't explain how you can know how hard something is to do without even knowing how to do it, but that matters not now. I got the game, tried all sorts of things, and nope, vertical throw, downward throw, spin throw, and homing attack cannot be done without motion controls unfortunately. Again shouldn't be a big deal, hasn't been so far, but still lame.

The spinning one can.  Spin mario around by quickly moving the analogue stick in a circle and throw.  You will do the spin attack. 

Man, this game is so brilliant that it hurts. Just when I think that Nintendo came out with my possible favourite game ever, they release ANOTHER game which can beat it. In the same year. That's insane. I literallu cried tears of joy at some parts. Which speaks volumes about the game quality.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Flilix said:

I only have played a bit of Mario 64, but I couldn't beat King Bob-omb.

Volterra_90 said:

Man, this game is so brilliant that it hurts. Just when I think that Nintendo came out with my possible favourite game ever, they release ANOTHER game which can beat it. In the same year. That's insane. I literallu cried tears of joy at some parts. Which speaks volumes about the game quality.

This!

ok ok now i'm a new owner of a switch