By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Odyssey Reviews - 97 Metacritic (91 Reviews) - 97 OpenCritic (84 Reviews)

OTBWY said:
Still a 97 after 59 reviews.

Open Critic remains 98.

It's literally Zelda vs Mario.

And 98,92 % on Gamerankings. So far, it´s the all-time best (but there are still a lot of scores to be counted there)

Around the Network
Rogerioandrade said:
OTBWY said:
Still a 97 after 59 reviews.

Open Critic remains 98.

It's literally Zelda vs Mario.

And 98,92 % on Gamerankings. So far, it´s the all-time best (but there are still a lot of scores to be counted there)

My fresh order of Mario just got in the mail, but I have to wait a whole damned day to play the game. I hate my job sometimes.

Masterpiece.... this game is amazing already!

Switch!!!

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Volterra_90 said:
Guys, the game plays like a fucking dream. I'd recommend to use the motion controls scheme, it's more fun in that way.

Nope, I'd rather not be reminded of Galaxy. It's gonna standard controls all the way for me! (except for those "special" moons ofc...)

Hahaha, you really don't like motion, do you? . I actually haven't noticed any part of the game which can't be beaten without motion, so no worries. There are at least a cool move which can we done with motion only as far as I know, but nothing that's so mandatory. HD Rumble is used in some puzzles though, in a very cool way I must say.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Odyssey looks and feels a lot more like a proper game in the vein of SM64/Sunshine/Galaxy. That's why I've been so excited for it. Don't get me wrong, SM3DW was good and all, but there's an ocean of difference between it and the rest of the 3D Mario games.

BotW felt like more of a true sequel to OoT too. Majora's Mask, Windwaker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword all felt less open than OoT despite being more recent games. It was as if Nintendo just couldn't make a Zelda game with the same size and scope as OoT. Then BotW came out and not only matched OoT in scope, but beat it easily.

It's like both Mario and Zelda stopped moving forward for a time. For Mario it was one game. For Zelda it was almost twenty years. Now Nintendo has gone into overdrive, and both series are on full blast. If Nintendo keeps on pulling out all the stops, Metroid Prime 4 could be another game with 97/100. 

I'd argue feels more like a sequel to the first Zelda game on NES. It has the same "You start here, go explore" feeling.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Just chiming in to say that I'm loving Mario Odyssey so far. Now back to playing...

Gonna go buy it after this kids hallowean party 😁

TruckOSaurus said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Odyssey looks and feels a lot more like a proper game in the vein of SM64/Sunshine/Galaxy. That's why I've been so excited for it. Don't get me wrong, SM3DW was good and all, but there's an ocean of difference between it and the rest of the 3D Mario games.

BotW felt like more of a true sequel to OoT too. Majora's Mask, Windwaker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword all felt less open than OoT despite being more recent games. It was as if Nintendo just couldn't make a Zelda game with the same size and scope as OoT. Then BotW came out and not only matched OoT in scope, but beat it easily.

It's like both Mario and Zelda stopped moving forward for a time. For Mario it was one game. For Zelda it was almost twenty years. Now Nintendo has gone into overdrive, and both series are on full blast. If Nintendo keeps on pulling out all the stops, Metroid Prime 4 could be another game with 97/100. 

I'd argue feels more like a sequel to the first Zelda game on NES. It has the same "You start here, go explore" feeling.

Well as far as game design goes there are three ways to design your how open your game is. The first way is to give the illusion of an open world that demands the player complete certain tasks in a certain way, but is speckled with lots of off the path things to do. Ocarina was a good example of this. You needed to complete dungeons in a certain order, but you were free to go out, find hearts, jars, fairies, or do the biggoron quest at your leasure. The second way is to create the illusion of an open world, but demand that the player complete every task in a certain order, with no off the path distractions at all. And the third way is to create a truly open world that asks the player to do nothing in a specific order, and just let's them explore. Horizon starts out with the first way, until you get out and fight the sabercat. After that it's all open world. Zelda does the same with the great plateau and then sets you loose. Then we have games like Final Fantasy II on the SNES which follow the second way. Skyward Sword mostly followed the second way with a couple of off the path trinkets thrown in. 

Not sure how Odyssey is going to follow the formula for this one though. I've avoided spoilers so far. It could be level based like Galaxy 2, or it could just have a hub world ala SM64. Luckily platformers don't lose much from being linear, and I'm pretty sure we'll be able to use a level select to chase whatever Stars/Moons we want. Self enclosed levels have always been a thing in platformers so a truly open-world platformer will likely never happen. It's kind of hard to design a platformer when you don't know where the player will start from. 

Please,people from the past,you guys have to get to the new donk city part.Is the peak of the game.

So is this game worth $400? I'm really thinking about picking up a Switch... Maybe I'll return my Air Conditioner to pay for it... lol

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e