By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Odyssey Reviews - 97 Metacritic (91 Reviews) - 97 OpenCritic (84 Reviews)

sc94597 said:
I think the biggest reason Nintendo games get such high averages is because they appeal to an overwhelming majority of people. Other developers have their niche audiences and people outside said audiences miss the appeal. Or if a game from another developer/publisher has widespread appeal it usually isn't pushing boundaries.

That is why excellent Nintendo games migh get such enthusiasm behind them.

True but that shouldn't apply to a professional review though. Odyssey is a 3D platformer, Zelda an adventure, you wouldn't let your sports or racing guy make the reivew, but someone in that area. I think it has more to do with the insane creativity in gameplay mechanics Nintendo is able to put out, which often dwarf whole games just in a single level in Mario. And the very high polish they give their games, which I think is a main component in creating a masterpiece 95% upwards. Last but not least, the Nintendo charm, similar to Pixar.

Around the Network

Damn it really looks like zelda and Mario will be taking lots of goty awards from each other. It will be hard for either to use the "winner of xxx game of the year awards" tag other games have boasted.

Anyways what a great time to be a lover of video games or simply someone with a varied taste for games.

mZuzek said:
DeuceGamer said:
Does the Switch have the best first year line up ever?

Definitely and absolutely. Even without Odyssey it wouldn't be debatable.

I’d really need to see what all releases the first year on the SNES to say for sure. I believe all of these were in the first year, which is absolutely mind blowing: Super Mario World, Zelda LTTP, F-Zero, Final Fantasy II, Contra III, Actraiser, Super Castlevania IV, Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Pilotwings, Final Fight, Street Fighter II, Turtles in Time, et ... NOTE: Looking at release dates and Mario Kart missed releasing in the first year by 1 week!

I love my Switch but admittedly I’m pretty partial to the SNES. That first year SNES lineup is absolutely ridiculous and there are tons I left out that are good/great depending on who you ask. Still the Switch is amazing in it’s own right and to even be in the conversation is a testament to how good Nintendo has done.

Last edited by DeuceGamer - on 26 October 2017

Looking at GameRankings just now, I just realized something:

Super Mario Galaxy is about to turn 10 years old....

PAOerfulone said:

Looking at GameRankings just now, I just realized something:

Super Mario Galaxy is about to turn 10 years old....

Galaxy 1 still holds the crown for the best 3D Mario artstyle.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

No argument from me here.

Just downloaded the game and am playing through it right now.

Without spoilers, it is absolutely fantastic!

andisart said:
sc94597 said:
I think the biggest reason Nintendo games get such high averages is because they appeal to an overwhelming majority of people. Other developers have their niche audiences and people outside said audiences miss the appeal. Or if a game from another developer/publisher has widespread appeal it usually isn't pushing boundaries.

That is why excellent Nintendo games migh get such enthusiasm behind them.

True but that shouldn't apply to a professional review though. Odyssey is a 3D platformer, Zelda an adventure, you wouldn't let your sports or racing guy make the reivew, but someone in that area. I think it has more to do with the insane creativity in gameplay mechanics Nintendo is able to put out, which often dwarf whole games just in a single level in Mario. And the very high polish they give their games, which I think is a main component in creating a masterpiece 95% upwards. Last but not least, the Nintendo charm, similar to Pixar.

It shouldn't, but it does. Plenty of games are reviewed by people who hate the genre they are reviewing and that is what brings down metacritic scores. 

Amazing results for Nintendo. I can't wait to play (the downside of physical). So soon!

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Barkley said:
LimaBean01 said:

Yep. The way he calls anyone who would rate it highly a zombie comes off as reactionary and trying to get attention :/

While it may be written badly, he doesn't say that.

He says that anyone that's a long-term Super Mario Fan won't find it challenging, unless they're a zombie.

His complaint is the game is too easy.

I sure hope it isn't too easy. I want SM64 difficulty as a minimum.