By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Change to Hot Topics on front page

Thanks - no more politics/offtopic garbage/MS discussion for me

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
Xen said:
Thanks - no more politics/offtopic garbage/MS discussion for me

Politics seems to be the #1 thing, people want to filter!!! LOL!!

I come here to escape reality, not have it pounded into my head, so thanks again =D

Just came back here to say thanks for the excellent work you have been doing Talon.

I am also extremely grateful for what Machina and Truck is doing too, but they clearly need the extra help.So it makes me glad that you came when you did!I really wish that VGC was way bigger than what it is now(even though I like the closeness that I have with many of the members here, and that is due to how "small" the communitty is), and your help will surely put us on track for that!

Which actually makes me curious now:why did you come back?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

All day the only hot topics I could see were introduction threads. Fixed it now though. I was so confused at first though lol.

TalonMan said:
Nautilus said:
Just came back here to say thanks for the excellent work you have been doing Talon.

I am also extremely grateful for what Machina and Truck is doing too, but they clearly need the extra help.So it makes me glad that you came when you did!I really wish that VGC was way bigger than what it is now(even though I like the closeness that I have with many of the members here, and that is due to how "small" the communitty is), and your help will surely put us on track for that!

Which actually makes me curious now:why did you come back?

I never left because of any bad feelings between Brett and myself - in fact, we have spoken MANY times over the years! In fact, the wife and I are planning a trip to the UK for his wedding next year, and I'm really looking forward to it!!!

The truth of the matter is - I had started a new job which required a TON of travel at the time, and I just couldn't dedicate the time to working on the site anymore (I honestly didn't even have the time to come visit the forums, just for fun). But things have quieted down and while I'm still quite busy (and the travel is still a hump from time to time!!), I have a bit more time to give to the website...    ...and Brett was MORE than happy to have me back! So, here I am! :D

Oh thats nice!Didnt know that Brett is going to get married, or even that he was or wasnt single.Heh, you are lucky that you meeting someone you knew through here in real life.Thats something I want to do someday.

But anyways, try to always take it easy.I think the biggest problems with forums is that people sometimes take it too seriously and dedicate too much time with no downtime that they burn themselves out and get tired.So only know that we all appreciate what you are doing and that you should tackle the problems at your own pace.

And you know what it would help to keep you more engaged here?A dedicated mobile version! *shameless promoting*

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Really good work man, I really appreciate it! Keep the good work up!

TalonMan said:

Just so you know - right now on my Hot Topics, I have a 'green' icon, as well as an 'orange' one for two different threads I've commented in... ...neither one has any new replies, yet I have to different colored icons just the same!!

...and this is my only point - it looks this same way on the actual Hot Topics page, too. It needs to be fixed, but it's NOT a new bug introduced by this work.

EDIT: And by the way, the Buddy list looks 100% accurate - so that tells me I need to look at how THAT feature is deciding which icons to use, and mimic it...

Topic on my front page with new replies used to be orange, no longer are but this is 'inconsistant' as one thread is orange... do I need to comment in a thread for it to go orange? Didn't think that was the case.

I noticed a small issue too, I had a topic has no new replies, when I click on the '(0 New)', it didn't take take me to the last post, or even the thread, it adds '#1' to the current URL, so in this case the URL was 'http://www.vgchartz.com/#1'. I tried replicating it with another thread (as that one has left my Hot Topics) but the issue wasn't replicated.

... it's this crap as to why I hate being a web developer. That and the ever changing industry. Good work btw. :)

Hmm, pie.

Bandorr said:
I'd like to float this idea out there.

Remove the "default" forum choice for creating threads. There is no point in filtering out threads if people put those threads in the wrong spot.

Peoples should be "forced" to choose a forum for their threads. Gives them time to think about their thread and where it best belongs.

I would assume that mods could move a thread to the correct forums, if not that should be an idea to consider.

(still probably a good idea so as to not create extra work for mods and to keep things from showing up in the wrong place even beifly...  not sure how often that happens now).

jlauro said:
Bandorr said:
I'd like to float this idea out there.

Remove the "default" forum choice for creating threads. There is no point in filtering out threads if people put those threads in the wrong spot.

Peoples should be "forced" to choose a forum for their threads. Gives them time to think about their thread and where it best belongs.

I would assume that mods could move a thread to the correct forums, if not that should be an idea to consider.

(still probably a good idea so as to not create extra work for mods and to keep things from showing up in the wrong place even beifly...  not sure how often that happens now).

It happens very frequently, unfortunately. It'd probably make the mods' work easier if it forced you to choose instead of having gaming as a default.

Glad that I don't have to see Trump threads in my Hot Topics anymore.