By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Change to Hot Topics on front page

VGPolyglot said:
vivster said:

This again...

Hot topics buries new threads by bumping up old threads and mega threads constantly. Some threads never get a chance because the poster has the audacity to post it in their own timezone instead of US time zones. Stupid and controversial threads get bumped constantly while threads with substance might never be seen. So it encourages bumping, which is terrible. In latest topics every thread has an equal chance and equal time to be seen.

In latest topics dupe threads become more obvious because all the latest threads are easily seen and never buried. So even the assholes who refuse to check latest topics do not have an excuse anymore.

There are more upsides but the point is that Latest topics has literally only benefits while Hot Topics offers no benefits at all and makes everything shit. Yet the admins refuse this no brainer step.

I could see this turning into a situation where peopple are purposefully making tons of threads to constantly appear on the front page, which would also bury many threads as they'd soon vanish from the front page and never return.

You need to think your arguments through before posting them. First of all the idiots already do this to farm their idiot points. Secondly with latest topics thread spamming would be even more apparent. And you could post 15 threads within an hour and there would still be 5 threads that stayed for at least an hour. With Hot topics those threads would've been gone within 10 minutes in busy periods of the day.

Currently the Latest Topics page holds 30 threads and lasts for about 16-24h. With 20 topics it would give every thread an average lifespan of about 12h before it's being pushed out.

That doesn't account for very busy hours but in very busy hours threads get pushed out of hot topics even faster.

And threads are not supposed to return to the front page anyway. If a thread draws a lot of people it will be kept alive anyway, it won't need constant bumping on the front page. And if someone is looking for an active thread the threads in the forum index are still sorted by the latest reply.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
VGPolyglot said:

I could see this turning into a situation where peopple are purposefully making tons of threads to constantly appear on the front page, which would also bury many threads as they'd soon vanish from the front page and never return.

You need to think your arguments through before posting them. First of all the idiots already do this to farm their idiot points. Secondly with latest topics thread spamming would be even more apparent. And you could post 15 threads within an hour and there would still be 5 threads that stayed for at least an hour. With Hot topics those threads would've been gone within 10 minutes in busy periods of the day.

Currently the Latest Topics page holds 30 threads and lasts for about 16-24h. With 20 topics it would give every thread an average lifespan of about 12h before it's being pushed out.

That doesn't account for very busy hours but in very busy hours threads get pushed out of hot topics even faster.

And threads are not supposed to return to the front page anyway. If a thread draws a lot of people it will be kept alive anyway, it won't need constant bumping on the front page. And if someone is looking for an active thread the threads in the forum index are still sorted by the latest reply.

With latest topics you only see topics you posted in so you will never see any new threads, and others will not see yours.  I don't see how that is supposed to be good?

My filter is dead.

Bandorr said:
jlauro said:

With latest topics you only see topics you posted in so you will never see any new threads, and others will not see yours.  I don't see how that is supposed to be good?

You are confused. There are three options

1) Hot topics. These are the most popular topics.

2) Latest topics. These are the most recent topics.

3) My topics. These are the topics YOU have posted in.

You are confusing latest topics and my topics.

My bad...  I get confused easy sometimes.  I personally still prefer hot over latest.

Guys, it stopped working. I can see 6 Nintendo forum topic in the hot topics.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:

Can you live without Nintendo  here ?

Lawlight said:

Read Talon's latest post.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Lawlight said:

Read Talon's latest post.

Got it. Yeah, it was a bit slow to load.

Thank you so much for this!

TalonMan said:
It's back again - let's see how we do today!!!

Much better, man! No lag!

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames