By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 "Newton" motion controller confirmed

I think they'll be targeting casuals in the hope of getting more users. I don't think it'll be aimed at the current demographic that much.

Around the Network

I would LOVE Microsoft if they come for Xmas08 with :

an EXTERNAL Blu-Ray player

and

an EXTERNAL Wii-mote like controler
(bundle with Arcade+casual arcade games ?)

The result will be Sony outcompeting the Xbox360 in the hardcore market (MGS4, FFXIII news, Resistance2, GT5p patch) AND the Wii completely destroying the Xbox360 in the casual market (easy to understand)

Again The Sandwitch Theory with the Wii keeping the "casual/poor" (people that dont invest a lot in videogames) consumers away from the Xbox360 and the PS3 taking the first Xbox360 : hardcore.

Time to Work !

It won't ever be released and if it is ... it'll die preety fast.

People whom think that this will help "steal" exclusives from Wii have to understand - EVERY Wii owner has a Wiimote ... very few 360 owners will own a "Newton" ...

It's far more likely that M$ is looking at designing a Wii-mote like controller for the next-box ...

My prediction is that it will be bundled with Banjo Kazooie 3. That is if this is true, and I hope it is.

I will eagerly wait for this to be released, so that it can then bomb hard.
Perhaps, as that's not even sure, people will then start to realize that Nintendo is not winning with just a controller. The controller is the tip of the iceberg which is Nintendo's strategy.
There's just no way this will change anything.

Around the Network

Xbox needs something to give it a boost for 2009 and this is a good move.
If they get it right they can show nintendo and sony a thing or two because neither Nintendo or Sony have managed to really make a premium motion controller or get it working well in many games (Sony especially, though Nintendo are guilty as well) .

In fact i believe Sony have defective electronics in the Sixaxis which is why the Yaw Gyro is never used because it will instigate a large warranty return rate on the sixaxis controllers when people realise their controller's yaw gyro sensor is useless - I read this from a site where someone tested several controllers and found 1 of them was so bad it's gyro was practically unusable. I think Sony are scared to licence a game which uses the full sixaxis capabilitys !.

But looking the website link the microsoft are sadly making a controller which is no better than what the Wii allready has, but at least it's a 2 handed controller like sixaxis so it will be easier to aim or use as steering wheel style of play.
Good luck to MS i hope they can raise the bar for the rest.

PS3 number 1 fan

If Ms wanted to get this in the hands of most 360 owners possible they would pack it in with both halo wars and banjo 3.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

COPYCATS!

dsoverpsp said:
COPYCATS!

"Great Artists Steal" -Steve Jobs (not Bill Gates), quoting Picasso

Newton?

This will probably be just as successful as the original Newton...

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

tabsina said:
Wiimote truly is a gimmick - confirmed

Well the "Newton" is a obviously gimmick, and it is supposedly quite similar to the Wiimote, so by transitive property perhaps you're right.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick