By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 "Newton" motion controller confirmed

Next up, Sony's Wagle(GI "insider info" rumor).

Around the Network
libellule said:

The result will be Sony outcompeting the Xbox360 in the hardcore market (MGS4, FFXIII news, Resistance2, GT5p patch) AND the Wii completely destroying the Xbox360 in the casual market (easy to understand)

I think you have it backwards and it's the PS3 that is basically being outcompeted.  I mean it's finally brought out a demo of GT5 after the competition released it's flagship product.  FFXIII won't be released for another year, meanwhile Xbox 360 gamers enjoy many RPGs including Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey.  Sony is bringing out major FPSs when Microsoft did that last year.  They were also outcompeted with GTA4 when Microsoft went in and turned it into a multiplatform.  And to add insult to injury they also got exclusive episodic content as well, talk about a major blunder on Sony's part.

So basically that leaves Metal Gear Solid 4 and LittleBigPlanet.  How many non-Sony hardcore are really interested in Metal Gear Solid 4?  And as for LittleBigPlanet it's an unproven franchise compared to many of the exclusives on the 360 which have a proven track record.  Not only that but the last gameplay video made the game look like it was extremely frustrating to play.  It remains to be seen just how big that game will become but if the price of the console is still high when the game is released don't expect it to make much of an impact if any.

It's really good that Sony has Blu-Ray in their console for videophiles and the Playstation brand name because otherwise the console likely would have been crushed in it's first year.

sinha said:
dsoverpsp said:
COPYCATS!

"Great Artists Steal" -Steve Jobs (not Bill Gates), quoting Picasso

Newton?

This will probably be just as successful as the original Newton...

Damn it. You beat me to it. When I read the name "Newton", I shot coffee into my nose. Hilarious.

Poor Sir Isaac. He keeps getting one failed product after another named after him. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

If they release this thing with some fun games I'll buy. I fail to see how this can be anything but a good thing for MS. It allows in theory 360/wii games to be developed together for multi platform release. The 360 could share games easily with the wii & the ps3. This will lead to a wonderful library of titles which I a 360 owner am happy to see.

Still think that this is a big waste of time for MS on the 360 as a peripheral. If they focus on perfecting it for Xbox3 then that would be different and a wise move.

I guess we'll now by E3 though. Something this big would have to be showcased there.

Around the Network

I'm gonna flat out refuse to plug anything even remotely waggle-related on my 360. I enjoy the wii, but i'd rather MS kept pumping dollars into forzas halos and lost odysseys instead of waggle minigames.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Some people never get it right. Maybe he should be an analyst.

"By making this controller Microsoft will be able to take away an exclusive feature that makes people want to buy a Nintendo Wii for around the cost of a standard wireless controller. If they bring an external Blu-Ray movie player they would take away one of the biggest reasons why current or potential Xbox owners would want to get a Playstation 3".

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

I know I brought it up in the other thread about the x mote but if someone has the flash image of the dog jumping out of the moving truck to catch the other dog this would be a good place to use it.

Waggle is kinda pointless (I'd much rather press a button to swing a sword than do some generic non-1:1 motion to do the same). The 360 could really use a pointing controller, which is something the wiimote does well.

halogamer1989 said:

At least the following link states that it is based on pretty good top notch insider info...

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/136125.asp

The legal patent and copyright issues are addressed in this article so fanboys and fangirls need not worry. Thoughts about a release date anyone???

I'd like to invite all Sony haters to recall, honestly, whether they've ever criticized Sixaxis motion controls as unnecessary, stupid, or a rip-off of the Wiimote.  Even if the criticism was just in your thoughts and not verbalized...did you ever think, "stupid Sony, what a dumb, unnecessary idea" ?

Please then, please, don't make yourself a hypocrite when this controller is released.