By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 "Newton" motion controller confirmed

At least the following link states that it is based on pretty good top notch insider info...

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/136125.asp

The legal patent and copyright issues are addressed in this article so fanboys and fangirls need not worry.  Thoughts about a  release date anyone???

Around the Network

Why not. If the controller is used well it could be fun.

Insider info doesn't mean "confirmed".

BTW, I don't know how pointing with both hands on the controller can work well... One of the great things about the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo is that you're free to point with the Wiimote without interfering with your left hand.

Does Microsoft really have to jump on the motion sensing bandwagon, especially seeing as Sony tacked it on their controller without any great results? I think they should have waited until the next generation to implement this properly, rather than having these knee-jerk reactions to Wii's innovation.

I don't see much good coming out of this for Microsoft, especially because this will just be an add-on, right?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

hmm guessing i would say around cristmas (if they hurry up :P) and if they take it slowly it will come somewhere next year together with something that really makes it seem worth your money (or at least i hope so :)

Wow, first the 'Waggle' and now the 'Newton'. It makes sense to me though, motion sensing is the future. Software is what will drive the success of these peripherals.

Around the Network

I have a feeling this is very real, and that the device will be packed in with the system as well. While the concept designs floating around don't look that great, they aren't sure to be like the final product. Either way, this is just going to be something extra for the 360, and won't take away from anything, so it should do nothing but help them. Not as much as Nintentdo got out of the Wiimote, but it's something.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

I have a birdman feeling of the way Microsoft is going at it, what with references of them trying to convince third party Wii developers how easy it is to port from Wii to 360 after the new controller is published... I mean, are thrid party games really the big thing on Wii?

Paid by the alliance
to slay all the giants.

Wiimote truly is a gimmick - confirmed

Yeah this is far from confirmed but even if it is a real project its going to flop....hard. With very rare exceptions peripherals don't really do well and even when they do they rarely get 3rd party support. MS would have to push this VERY hard for it to have a shot at being anything meaningful. And really I don't know that 360 owners really want this anyways? Perhaps I'm wrong on that one though.

Malstrom said MS would stay and fight for the down-market and that Sony would flee to the up-market. If this story pans out then it looks like he was right about MS. But he also said MS wouldn't be able to sustain that fight for long and would eventually be forced to flee up-market as well.

Should be interesting to see if he is correct.

To Each Man, Responsibility

The problem is, being an add on, it will need a phenomenal game to make a real impact in the console wars - something like Wii Fit.

I'm not so sure the hardcore fanbase of the 360 will be very enthusiastic. Motion controls are particularly suitable for casual gamers who find traditional controllers too confusing.

Nevertheless, it does pose the threat of drawing away some of the Wii's exclusive third party titles and neutralising its main selling point somewhat. In this respect perhaps it will undermine the Wii more than it will boost the 360.