By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei V for Switch officially announced, New Trailer.

twintail said:
konnichiwa said:

I would be happy if they announce their PS2 games coming to PS4 (sad that we didn't got them yet).

Totally. that would be great, just to preserve these games at the least.

DivinePaladin said:

I wouldn't expect it to go to anything but Switch personally. If Atlus is so adamant that P5 won't ever leave PS exclusivity, then they're probably locking down on SMT exclusivity for Nintendo as well. 

It's a shame that they've either got some exclusivity deal with both, I'd have bought P5 again just to own it portably. That's a game changer for RPGs for me. 

But nothing even indicates that they are locking down exclusitivity. The game has never been called exclusive, and on the website it has the tag of HD Project, right next to SMT: DSJ which is tagged as 3DS project and we know that is 3DS exclusive. So, why not just give this SMT the tag of Swtch project?

Im not saying its not exclusive. if it is then thats cool too but nothing really indcates as such Additionally, it runs on UE4 which can be ported easily (so to speak) across the PS4 and Switch. P5s engine most likely requires additional work and time to port (and probably will come to Switch anyways).

If it means anything, mainline P games have only been on PS. mainline SMT games have been on both Nintendo and PS consoles.

Per (at the time) Sega of America PR Manager, P5 was not coming to Switch, period.  That was January, and tings can change, but that's a pretty solid statement that indicates exactly as such.  Perhaps an eventual P5 FES/Golden/etc. would come to Switch (please?), but I'm not expecting it.  With SMT V following in the usual series trend of being on Nintendo (with a slight detour almost 15 years ago to the PS2 for a couple games), I don't expect that to go over to PS4, either.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

Was there any actual hints from Atlus this might be on PS4?

I kind of assumed being revealed at Nintendo's E3 conference, that it would be exclusive until told otherwise. Yet some people were very much convinced of multi-plat release.

Did I miss something?

Edit: Just realised this was revealed at the Switch presentation from January not E3. Doesn't make much difference.

If I'm not mistaken a job listing from Atlus referenced working on a SMT game and they were looking for people who had experience with PS4 but that turned out to be a really old job listing for Persona 5 (which if I'm not mistaken is called SMT something in Japan) or it might just have been a listing for this game since the Switch is closer to PS4 in hardware than it is to 3DS so it would have been more appropriate to hire someone who worked on that console...

Looks really excellent. I played ~25 hours of the 4th, and immensely enjoyed the battle system, but it got pretty repetitive and tedious unfortunately. I will certainly be looking to pick this one for the battle system alone, and may also continue playing the 4th once i have hold of my 3DS again!

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

JamesGarret said:
I´m not familiar with these games, so what´s the main difference between the SMT and Persona series?...are they related in any way?

SMT is the core of the Shin Megami Tensei series -which in itself is a spin-off/spiritual successor to Megami Tensei. Persona is a spin off of SMT. 

SMT focuses on darker elements with theism, chaos and order, etc. And is set in pre/during/post-apocalyptic settings. Uncomfortable topics like cannibalism, human harvesting, etc also come up. The games are shorter, about 40-60hrs and are a lot harder. The games are more about atomosphere and suspense than the more poppy Persona games. You recruit demons through talking to them and adding them to your team. This series made the "catch monsters" genre that Pokemon popularized. 

Persona games all (so far) take place during high school. You assume the life of a high schooler and balance school life with social life and fighting shadows in different dimensions (3-5, 1-2 were more like SMT but with kids). It has more psychological elements and has a bigger emphasis on meeting and talking to classmates and stuff. It also has dating elements. Its also noticeably a lot happier and positive than the SMT games. The themes tackled in Persona tend to be things teenagers face like themes of rebellion, acceptance, sexual assault and stuff. The game focuses less on atmosphere and more on... uh, lets just say things really pop out in the games XD Also each Persona game has a color theme to it. P3 was blue, P4 was yellow, P5 is red. P1-2 didnt really have that idea but are also purple and red. Which affects the tone. P3 people are more down, depressed. P4 is more uppity and happy, P5 is more serious, angry. 

Theres more to say. But those are some of the basics

FATALITY said:
caffeinade said:
Looks more advanced than Persona 5

what do you mean?

He means it looks better? 

Around the Network

Awful trailer. Don't make me wait over a month for words and a brief scene of someone walking and getting eaten.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

EricFabian said:
Good, but I still want Tokyo Mirage 2

Yay, I'm not the only one who really wants a successor to that game

Though a (maybe enhanced) Switch port would do for now.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
EricFabian said:
Good, but I still want Tokyo Mirage 2

Yay, I'm not the only one who really wants a successor to that game

Though a (maybe enhanced) Switch port would do for now.

Tms is low key one of the better smt games. It's no nocturne or persona 5 but at the same time it's still a damn good jrpg. 

This could be the game for me to jump into the series

Pocky Lover Boy! 

irstupid said:
JamesGarret said:
I´m not familiar with these games, so what´s the main difference between the SMT and Persona series?...are they related in any way?

Only played like 10 hours or so into SMT IV so not the best source, but I would escplain the game as such.

Persona esque story mixed with Pokemon style gameplay. Then mix in like Dragonball Doukan fusion/level up system for each of those said pocket monsters you get.

I see.I´m playing Persona 5 for the first time and I´m a bit overwhelmed about how time has to be taken into account for basically everything you do...still learning the ropes.Is SMT that way too?