Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei V for Switch officially announced, New Trailer.

Huzzah, great news. Wasn't a huge fan of IV, but the more JRPGs on the Switch the better.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
JamesGarret said:
I´m not familiar with these games, so what´s the main difference between the SMT and Persona series?...are they related in any way?

SMT is the core of the Shin Megami Tensei series -which in itself is a spin-off/spiritual successor to Megami Tensei. Persona is a spin off of SMT. 

SMT focuses on darker elements with theism, chaos and order, etc. And is set in pre/during/post-apocalyptic settings. Uncomfortable topics like cannibalism, human harvesting, etc also come up. The games are shorter, about 40-60hrs and are a lot harder. The games are more about atomosphere and suspense than the more poppy Persona games. You recruit demons through talking to them and adding them to your team. This series made the "catch monsters" genre that Pokemon popularized. 

Persona games all (so far) take place during high school. You assume the life of a high schooler and balance school life with social life and fighting shadows in different dimensions (3-5, 1-2 were more like SMT but with kids). It has more psychological elements and has a bigger emphasis on meeting and talking to classmates and stuff. It also has dating elements. Its also noticeably a lot happier and positive than the SMT games. The themes tackled in Persona tend to be things teenagers face like themes of rebellion, acceptance, sexual assault and stuff. The game focuses less on atmosphere and more on... uh, lets just say things really pop out in the games XD Also each Persona game has a color theme to it. P3 was blue, P4 was yellow, P5 is red. P1-2 didnt really have that idea but are also purple and red. Which affects the tone. P3 people are more down, depressed. P4 is more uppity and happy, P5 is more serious, angry. 

Theres more to say. But those are some of the basics

Thanks for the detailed answer.SMT seems quite dark, which I like...any consensus on which SMT is the best?

twintail said:
collint0101 said:

The entire mainline series except for 3 is Nintendo exclusive

lol no they arent. SMT 1 and 2 both appeared on the PS1. The first also appeared on the SEGA CD.

SegataSanshiro said:

Traditionally SMT is more if a Nintendo series, like Persona, is Sony. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Yeah, sorta. SMT1 and 2 came to SNES/ PS1. SMT3 only came to PS2. SMT4 only to 3DS.

Quite the contrast to Persona where a no single mainline entry has appeared on a Nintendo device.

DivinePaladin said:

Per (at the time) Sega of America PR Manager, P5 was not coming to Switch, period.  That was January, and tings can change, but that's a pretty solid statement that indicates exactly as such.  Perhaps an eventual P5 FES/Golden/etc. would come to Switch (please?), but I'm not expecting it.  With SMT V following in the usual series trend of being on Nintendo (with a slight detour almost 15 years ago to the PS2 for a couple games), I don't expect that to go over to PS4, either.

SMT4 is the only that had never come to a PS console.

But as I mentioned earlier, if its Switch exlusive then thats fine. Exclusives for different devices are cool.

But please dont try and retroactively rewrite history on which devices SMT has actually appeared on.

Forgot about 1 on the CD but 2 never appeared on a Sega console. Also the ps1 versions barely count, that's like saying mgs isn't a predominantly Sony series because 2 and 3 got 360 ports like 10 years after their initial release. 

Hoping for a FeMC option, it wont happen sadly.

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

Seems kinda strange that it's NS exclusive. I figured it would have been multiplat at least. Either way, I'll be getting this. I loved SMT4

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Memes are already starting guys xD

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
FATALITY said:

what do you mean?

He means it looks better? 

More advanced does not mean better.

The Order 1886 is more advanced than Another World.
Another World looks better.

caffeinade said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

He means it looks better? 

More advanced does not mean better.

The Order 1886 is more advanced than Another World.
Another World looks better.

Ah, semantics  

Edit: But in all seriousness, yeah, I know what you mean. I didn't know exactly what you meant, which is why I used a question mark. More advanced can be used to state better, though.

Mar1217 said:

Memes are already starting guys xD

Hell, why not?

Wouldn't surprise me if this did happen. It'd actually be amazing.

collint0101 said:

Forgot about 1 on the CD but 2 never appeared on a Sega console. Also the ps1 versions barely count, that's like saying mgs isn't a predominantly Sony series because 2 and 3 got 360 ports like 10 years after their initial release. 

You said the entire mainline series besides 3 is exclusive to Nintendo. This is not a fact. You are straight up wrong. Only 4 was Nintendo exclusive (and 5 now maybe).

And FYI PS has every mainline MGS title. Nintendo doesnt have every mainline SMT (SMT3) just like PS doesnt have every mainline SMT (SMT4) - and both share 1 and 2.