By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Exec Responds To Claims That Microsoft Has Too Few Exclusives In 2017

Bandorr said:
LivingMetal said:

Exclusive were and always have been important.  Without exclusives the WiiU would have been worse off, and it helps Nintendo overall as a console maker.  It's not just about separate console generations.  It's about the image of the console company as a whole and the expectancy of the consumer.

The wii U didn't have third party titles for the most part.  Which is why that is such a god awful comparison.

No matter how good your exclusives are, when you are missing the bulky of all third party games - you don't have the weight to tip the scales in your favor.

Hey, I didn't bring the WiiU up.  That other guy did.  Besides, what Nintendo excels at is their 1st and 2nd party games.  That's why they are still in the game regardless of how well or how relatively poorly their consoles sell.  It gives them that identity that you'll know what to at least expect from them. This is also why they've survived this long in the console market regardless of where they place marketsharewise from console gen to console gen.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
LivingMetal said:

Hey, I didn't bring the WiiU up.  That other guy did.  Besides, what Nintendo excels at is their 1st and 2nd party games.  That's why they are still in the game regardless of how well or how relatively poorly their consoles sell.  It gives them that identity that you'll know what to at least expect from them. This is also why they've survived this long in the console market regardless of where they place marketsharewise from console gen to console gen.

I'm aware. I'm just adding to the argument as opposed to arguing with you.  I've seen the "but the wii U had exclusives" arguments many times from those desperate to ignore their impact.

It is a bad argument faulty at its core.  Thus I felt like responding to your point that exclusives are important.  They can't do ALL the lifting though.  Specially when the console is over priced, and attached with a gimmick like the gamepad.

Well, then let me also add that Nintendo doesn't have the cash flow such as Microsoft.  Also as we all know, Sony was in financial disarray not too long ago.  What helps make consoles successful are the games (or course) that has to have the offering that attract you to that console.  So exclusive will play an important part.  Nintendo and Sony has this advantage as a whole and has worked for it as opposed to Microsoft.  One of the primary reasons why the Xbox console line is still in existence (if not the primary reason) is because they have the financial backing from other divisions to keep it afloat.  There, I said it.

I still can't believe this is the same company that gave Sony such a beating Games wise after the Ps2. Microsoft is a huge reason why Sony invested so kucb in first party last gen. You can't rely on 3rd parties to move your units and craft your identity for you. Its been almost a Generation since MS last invested in a killer IP that would move units and spark conversation. They will never win a Gen thinking they can just get by without taking risk.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

S.T.A.G.E. said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Is it really that close, 5%? I assumed MS was way way behind.

And yeah, you're right about exclusives. They factor in for list warz for Internet fights. Actual sales, not so much. On a very very small scale.

No....exclusives amount fo first party income for a company and they help with increasing marketshare based on the consumers value of their internal offerings. The problem is that more people have chosen Sony as the primary platform and thus has resulted in Microsoft getting less sales for their exclusives and thus downplaying the concept of exclusives. Sony gets more because they give more, quite simply. The culture of multiplayer only gaming is hurting the Xbox single player games sales (for variety and overall health) for that reason. Outside of Halo and Gears im not sure any one of those three exclusives Spencer just paid for with most likely arrive next gen or the very end of this gen. If you look at the dismal yearly sales of XBox this year and why Microsoft is not talking about their sales after their Xbox One X Boost in november, that might be all they have in the tank until their only two heavy hitters come once more. One wouuld also assume that most who have an Xbox already bought one for Gears and Halo as well which means Xbox needs more heavy hitting content. You see....God of War at its height sold the most for the hack n slash subgenre of action/adventure games. Those who want God of War or even Spiderman will pick up an Playstation for those games (and it will reflect in their monthly sales). 

Exclusives might not be the bottom line for Microsoft because they arent particularly good at making them. Sony and Nintendo however....they hold up tradition in the console realm, which is why when people question where single player exclusives are going....they increased consumer confidence  as Microsofts competition.

The other important thing exclusives do is set up third party developers and publishers with a viable market. MS isn't going to get most JRPGs this gen for example. 

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos

"We have an excellent line up this holiday" and then go on to name only 2 games... one is a console timed exclusive and also available on PC, the other one is the yearly installment of Forza.

Yeah, great.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
PEEPer0nni said:

No wonder steam forums are full of nazi supremacist Steam groups. Building a pc is not some sort of hardcore achievement. It's pretty easy actually.

Who said that it was difficult? Not I.

Ignore him, dudes in almost every thread trying to start shit. 

I can't think of any exclusive this year for Xbox except Halo Wars 2. My PS4 library more than doubled this year and still have a lot more to go.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Didn't affect them last gen. And if exclusives were that important we wouldn't have a Switch because the WiiU would be a great selling console :)

Without exclusives WiiU would have sold 0.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Bandorr said:
LivingMetal said:

Well, then let me also add that Nintendo doesn't have the cash flow such as Microsoft.  Also as we all know, Sony was in financial disarray not too long ago.  What helps make consoles successful are the games (or course) that has to have the offering that attract you to that console.  So exclusive will play an important part.  Nintendo and Sony has this advantage as a whole and has worked for it as opposed to Microsoft.  One of the primary reasons why the Xbox console line is still in existence (if not the primary reason) is because they have the financial backing from other divisions to keep it afloat.  There, I said it.

Yeah pretty much. Which makes it all the more hilarious when Sony or Nintendo is accused of moneyhatting games from Xbox. Microsoft has way way more money, yep seems to not want to spend any of it.

They are happy floating the xbox down the river at an average speed.

Too bad all those financial advisors that told us MS would destroy Sony this gen because Sony was broke and MS could even sell X1 for free because of how rich they were.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

MajorMalfunction said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

No....exclusives amount fo first party income for a company and they help with increasing marketshare based on the consumers value of their internal offerings. The problem is that more people have chosen Sony as the primary platform and thus has resulted in Microsoft getting less sales for their exclusives and thus downplaying the concept of exclusives. Sony gets more because they give more, quite simply. The culture of multiplayer only gaming is hurting the Xbox single player games sales (for variety and overall health) for that reason. Outside of Halo and Gears im not sure any one of those three exclusives Spencer just paid for with most likely arrive next gen or the very end of this gen. If you look at the dismal yearly sales of XBox this year and why Microsoft is not talking about their sales after their Xbox One X Boost in november, that might be all they have in the tank until their only two heavy hitters come once more. One wouuld also assume that most who have an Xbox already bought one for Gears and Halo as well which means Xbox needs more heavy hitting content. You see....God of War at its height sold the most for the hack n slash subgenre of action/adventure games. Those who want God of War or even Spiderman will pick up an Playstation for those games (and it will reflect in their monthly sales). 

Exclusives might not be the bottom line for Microsoft because they arent particularly good at making them. Sony and Nintendo however....they hold up tradition in the console realm, which is why when people question where single player exclusives are going....they increased consumer confidence  as Microsofts competition.

The other important thing exclusives do is set up third party developers and publishers with a viable market. MS isn't going to get most JRPGs this gen for example. 

Very true, not to mention that Microsoft is the only viable  non-Japanese console on the market.