By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD nintendo Switch #1 Selling Hardware in September. Nintendo Systems = 2/3 Total sales.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

Perhaps considering Switch is alone on the gen... because I don't think Switch will really go to sell over 120M to beat PS4.

So marginal wins even if consecutive constitues a killing? Ok. New way to see it.

It's killing it by month wins, it won 5 of 7 months, and again, Switch achieved that supply problems in past months and with best PS4 year until now while this is 1st Switch year, so yes, Switch sales are killing it.

Nope man, winning =/= killing. Or are you using the dictionary like MS does? Does the year also only comprises of Holiday?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Killing it? Didnt ps4 outsell switch by nearly 200k in june? Even though switch won the last 3 months it only barely won by a few thousands. 

Yes, killing it, it won 5 months from 7 months from launch, how you call that!? PS4 outsold Switch only 2 months from Switch launch with fact that Switch was heavily supply constrained until late August, and we talking about best PS4 year until now and first Switch year, so yes, Switch is killing it with sales.

Late September/early October

Now, the real test begins: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=232297&page=1#

PEEPer0nni said:
OTBWY said:

lol. Some games got announced at E3 and were released some months later. I don't know what you're really thinking, but you can't be like Rerez and really honestly and wholeheartedly believe that Nintendo is only going to come with 4 first party titles in 2018.

Obviously I don't know sh*t about what these companies are going to do. I'm not trying to play an insider.

Wow. Then why even use it as an argument?

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

It's killing it by month wins, it won 5 of 7 months, and again, Switch achieved that supply problems in past months and with best PS4 year until now while this is 1st Switch year, so yes, Switch sales are killing it.

Nope man, winning =/= killing. Or are you using the dictionary like MS does? Does the year also only comprises of Holiday?

Exactly, this guy sounds like a baseball fan from the 1950s: "I don't care if he gave up 10 runs a game! He won 35 games! He killed the league!"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
PAOerfulone said:

Just wait until the October NPD results come in and I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

I'm not disatisfied... but please explain how marginal victories define a killing... also for Switch to pass PS4 it have to hit over 120M, so are you certain that will happen?

PAOerfulone said:

1) That 2018 release date for Kingdom Hearts III is highly doubtful. It's been 4 and half years since they revealed the game and we know next to nothing about it except that it will have Toy Story. Since this is Square Enix and Nomura we're talking about, I'll believe that 2018 release when I see it. 
2) If Animal Crossing comes out next year, then no, PS4 will NOT have the biggest Japanese game next year. Not. Even. Close. The best selling KH game in Japan, the first game, did 1.49 million on the PS2, which had an install base of well over 23 million in Japan. Animal Crossing: New Leaf is at 4.64 million AND COUNTING. 
3) You clearly must not have been paying attention to my 3rd point. The Switch hardware sells itself, being able to play console quality games whereever and whenver you want is a feature that ANY gamer, casual or dedicated, will be interested in. It has already replaced the 3DS, not just as the #1 King in Japan, but Nintendo handheld owners are naturally migrating towards it. Plus, it's best selling region is in the U.S. where its supply is beginning to catch up to demand. 

It doesn't have RDR2 (for now), but it doesn't need it, nor does it need Pokemon to keep up and build upon the momentum in 2018. They just need to keep a steady and consistent stream of 1st and 3rd party titles coming for it AND raise the stock and supply to meet demand and it'll continue to rise in sales, no problem.

Errr the "play console level games on the go was the premisse of PSVita" so that premisse to justify Switch success is a little weak.

I never said anything about the Switch outselling the PS4's lifetime figures, I am still unsure if the Switch will reach 100 million, let alone 120 million. But the fact that the Switch is racking up these monthly victories in its first year, while dealing with stock shortages and supply issues AND during the PS4's peak year, says a lot to the potential of the Switch. 

And the difference between the Switch and Vita are:
A) Vita is a dedicated handheld, Switch is a hybrid and its method of playing games on the TV or on the go is much more simple and convenient. 

B) Switch is significantly more powerful than the Vita. The Vita could never run anything like Breath of the Wild. 

C) The Vita's $300 overpriced tag, losing Monster Hunter to the 3DS, the 3DS' existence, and the shrinkage of the dedicated handheld market were 4 fatal shots to the body. The Switch doesn't have to deal those problems because: 1) $300 for a system that can also act as a dedicated console is more than acceptable to the mainstream market. 2) While it doesn't have Monster Hunter, it still has Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Mario, the former 2 being far bigger in Japan. 3) It will be the ONLY handheld like device going forward. 4) It creates a bridge between the handheld market and the console market to compensate.

D) Nintendo has the recognizable and popular IPs to pull it off. Pokemon alone sells 15 million units, which is more than the Vita has shipped at the moment.

E) Even though it is not a dedicated handheld, the Switch is still widely considered to be the successor of the 3DS, Nintendo just won't admit it because the 3DS is still selling well and they want to milk that system dry before putting it away for good. And seeing as how Nintendo has dominated handhelds similar to how Sony has dominated consoles, there was little doubt, at least amongst those who thought reasonably, that the Switch could sell very well. (Although not many people thought it would do THIS well, THIS quick out of the gate.)

F) The Switch's first year, in terms of software, is already far more impressive and far surpasses than anything the Vita ever did. Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Odyssey, right there, and its not even November! What does the Vita have? Persona 4: Golden? I love Persona, but come on now. MineCraft? The game that's on everything? 

G) Switch will hae ALL of Nintendo's 1st Party Support behind it and full support going forward, whereas Sony put a half-assed effort from 2011-2013, and then stopped trying altogether in 2014 when they decided to shift all their focus to PS4.

The launches, hype, and momentum surrounding the Vita and Switch respectively, is night and day. 
The Vita is how you get it wrong.
The Switch is how you get it right.

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

To be frank, a system in its launch year beating a system in its peak year is pretty damn impressive.  Yeah the PS4 leads year to date but a huge part of that is January and February sales which pad the PS4's count vs Switch.  So yeah, the Switch beating the PS4 us killing it in many people's books because it's not just by how much you win, it's who you beat.  No one said it's destroying the PS4, which would imy substantial victory margins.

And all this is more impressive when you consider the PS4 is tracking to be one of the best selling systems ever.  And the PS4 had major releases in September that the Switch didn't get.  And only like week was free of supply issues. 

Insidb said:
DonFerrari said:

Exactly, this guy sounds like a baseball fan from the 1950s: "I don't care if he gave up 10 runs a game! He won 35 games! He killed the league!"

I'm not expert on the subject but I think I understood the analogy.

PAOerfulone said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm not disatisfied... but please explain how marginal victories define a killing... also for Switch to pass PS4 it have to hit over 120M, so are you certain that will happen?

Errr the "play console level games on the go was the premisse of PSVita" so that premisse to justify Switch success is a little weak.

I never said anything about the Switch outselling the PS4's lifetime figures, I am still unsure if the Switch will reach 100 million, let alone 120 million. But the fact that the Switch is racking up these monthly victories in its first year, while dealing with stock shortages and supply issues AND during the PS4's peak year, says a lot to the potential of the Switch. 

And the difference between the Switch and Vita are:
A) Vita is a dedicated handheld, Switch is a hybrid and its method of playing games on the TV or on the go is much more simple and convenient. 
B) Switch is significantly more powerful than the Vita. The Vita could never run anything like Breath of the Wild. 
C) The Vita's $300 overpriced tag and losing Monster Hunter shot it in the foot. The Switch doesn't have to deal with that problem since it also acts as a console and is much more powerful, as stated in point B).
D) Nintendo has the recognizable and popular IPs to pull it off. Pokemon alone sells 15 million units, which is more than the Vita has shipped at the moment.
E) Even though it is not a dedicated handheld, the Switch is still widely considered to be the successor of the 3DS, Nintendo just won't admit it because the 3DS is still selling well and they want to milk that system dry before putting it away for good. And seeing as how Nintendo has dominated handhelds similar to how Sony has dominated consoles, there was little doubt, at least amongst those who thought reasonably, that the Switch could sell very well. (Although not many people thought it would do THIS well, THIS quick out of the gate.)
F) The Switch's first year, in terms of software, is already far more impressive and far surpasses than anything the Vita ever did. Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Odyssey, right there, and its not even November! What does the Vita have? Persona 4: Golden? I love Persona, but come on now. MineCraft? The game that's on everything? 
G) Switch will hae ALL of Nintendo's 1st Party Support behind it and full support going forward, whereas Sony put a half-assed effort from 2011-2013, and then stopped trying altogether in 2014 when they decided to shift all their focus to PS4.

The launches, hype, and momentum surrounding the Vita and Switch respectively, is night and day. 
The Vita is how you get it wrong.
The Switch is how you get it right.

Yes Switch have a lot of potential (it can be early buyers or a runaway success, we still can't be sure) but it is a great start indeed. But this discussion started because of people saying Switch will win the gen... so it would need to outdoo PS4.

A) We know, still doesn't invalidate the point

B) Each gen usually is stronger than the previous, the power gap between PSVita against PS3 compared to Switch HH against PS4Pro isn't that much in favor of Switch. PSVita and before it PSP offered console level games on the go for their time.

C, D, E, F) Doesn't deny the "console on the go proposition"

You seem to be confusing I saying the "console on the go" isn't what makes the success of Switch with "Switch won't do better than Vita"

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Nuvendil said:
DonFerrari said:

To be frank, a system in its launch year beating a system in its peak year is pretty damn impressive.  Yeah the PS4 leads year to date but a huge part of that is January and February sales which pad the PS4's count vs Switch.  So yeah, the Switch beating the PS4 us killing it in many people's books because it's not just by how much you win, it's who you beat.  No one said it's destroying the PS4, which would imy substantial victory margins.

And all this is more impressive when you consider the PS4 is tracking to be one of the best selling systems ever.  And the PS4 had major releases in September that the Switch didn't get.  And only like week was free of supply issues. 

Do you really want to go semantics on this? TO kill PS4 would be to make it go the N64 and Gamecube route of very low sales and losing the race tremendously. PS4 is having a better year after Switch launched and isn't even to much behind (and WW is still ahead) so how is that killing. Yours, Miyamoto and these other people book need to use the correct verbatim.

DonFerrari said:
Nuvendil said:

Do you really want to go semantics on this? TO kill PS4 would be to make it go the N64 and Gamecube route of very low sales and losing the race tremendously. PS4 is having a better year after Switch launched and isn't even to much behind (and WW is still ahead) so how is that killing. Yours, Miyamoto and these other people book need to use the correct verbatim.

Sigh. "Killing it!" is a colloquialism that refers to someone doing excellent at something.  The "it" refers to the thing you are doing it.  You're completely misunderstanding the phrase and interpreting the "it" as the PS4.  A boxer who has won 21 straight bouts is killing it, even if all were by decision.  A stock on the market climbing quickly is killing it, even if their competitor's is not falling.  

Killing it just means doing really well, not necessarily devastating oponents. 

So yeah, you need to use the correct meanings.  And don't challenge the person who studied writing on the meaning of phrases.