By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One word to describe the PS4X1WU era and its Game of the Generation (GotG)

scam (DLC/ Season Pass/ microtransactions/ Lootbox/ Definitive editions/ Expantions/ incomplete games/ pay to win, etc)

Bayonetta 2 is my GOTG

but the most representative of the Generation is SF V because it  shows the decline of the developers to get money easily without effort (destroying iconic franchises if necessary)

Around the Network

DESTINY 2 improved on DESTINY's mishaps, so one would put that game their instead of the original D.....

also HORIZON ZERO DAWN along with ZELDA are to be considered also

mM

In terms of fan reception: Zelda.

In terms of critical reception: Zelda.

In terms of 'noteworthiness', as the OP speaks of: Zelda.

And I haven't even played the game. Just all the buzz and goodwill that came out after its release along with the continued commercial success (which may overshadow OoT in sales). And being the killer app to a system that essentially revived Nintendo didn't hurt either.

The next closest game is probably Bloodborne, but it just isn't popular enough to rival Zelda. Destiny, however...pfft.

Darashiva said:

I don't really see this generation being any different from any other in terms of games that end up disappointing people. Every console generation has its share of titles that for one reason or another end up being underwhelming or disappointing, so labeling the 8th generation as a disappointment because of games like Destiny doesn't really feel fair to me, especially since Destiny was never in any way interesting to me anyway.

Certainly true but I feel things have gotten worse as online becomes a bigger part of gaming: ship now, fix later and microtransactions becoming a thing as game development becomes more expensive.

Darashiva said:

And saying that only one platform holding mass appeal isn't healthy means that the PS1 and PS2 eras were also not healthy since they were the only home consoles that experienced great sales success during those times.

No, it wasn't healthy. Competition is a good thing. Luckily, PS1 and PS2 had very varied libraries of games.

Darashiva said:

The games industry has always been filled with disappointing games, poor practices by publishers, failed consoles, and many other such things. The current generation really isn't all that different in that regard from any other. The sources of the disappointments are just different.

True but I'm hard pressed to think of maneuvers comparable to those of Konami or Hello Games in previous gens or controversies like those of Gamergate.

LudicrousSpeed said:
KLAMarine said:

...Loot?...

For me, GotG is not about a game being good or bad. It's more about 'noteworthiness'. See OP for vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=214574

GTA V or any Calls of Duty would fit the bill better even in terms of noteworthiness.

GTA V came out too late in the 7th gen to have impacted said gen. CoD4 was GotG for the 7th gen since it launched late 2007 and pretty much influenced all shooters to come.

Knack

Around the Network

Wii U might have sold like crap but there was a lot of good content on it. Bayonetta 2 springs to mind d

Liar

Liar

Liar 

the PS360Wii generation was by far the best ever. I was tentitavly awaiting every new release especially on PS3, To say i was hooked was an understatement. onto to this generation im afraid its a case of the same games....it was the ps360 specifially that drove new franchises i miss it

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

There have been some great games this gen, but nothing compared to last gen. Bloodborne is my favorite so far though.

Is GOTG greatest of the generation?